Wonderwall

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:02 pm

D. Phillips wrote:I have liked all their albums except Be Here Now, which still has a few great tracks.

I love that song on there that samples "Fuck Tha Police." I'm thinking of the right album, aren't I?

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:52 pm

Yes, that is "D'you Know What I Mean," which is the lead-off track.

Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Tim » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:37 pm

hebrew hammer wrote:I'm gonna give What's the Story a shot. What's the worst that could happen, besides having to eat my words?

I'm just jumpin in here, and agreeing with the panel...you should buy this album. Its one of my favorites of all time. 'Wonderwall' and 'Champagne Supernova' are classics, and I would have to say two of the best songs that came out in the '90s.

Hopefully AT & T will keep their hands off those, since they used that 'All Around the World' for their commercials and is majorly overplayed.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:56 pm

"Cast No Shadow" is still my favorite Oasis song. It's one of my favorite songs from any band.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:58 pm

What's the Story Morning Glory has a few clunkers but more than makes up for it with their best songs. When those guys have it all going on--the guitars, the voice, the tune, and the rock--they'll scratch an itch few other bands can.

booker
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby booker » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:57 pm

I think What's the Story Morning Glory is a very good album, and one Hebrew Hammer will be surprised with (Hebrew Hammer, my apologies for addressing you in third person, but I thought it proper seeing as these are public boards). It has a few clunkers but stands as a solid album all in all.

I don't take Oasis very seriously -- by that I mean musically (I wouldn't even know where to start with their image, etc.). Noel's not the best lyricist in the world, and musically, I don't think they have anything even remotely unique to offer. That being said, how many better tunes were there on the radio in 1996 than "Don't Look Back in Anger," "Morning Glory" and "Wonderwall"?

Maarten
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Maarten » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:07 pm

haven't listened to them in a long long time. i remember being in london during the release of 'be here now', and everyone went crazy over it, ads everywhere and they seemed to play the godawful thing literally everywhere, even in supermarkets. and still people ended up buying the damn thing, unbelievable.
as a fan of 'definately maybe' i remember i was very disappointed when morning glory came out, which may contain some nice popsongs but overall lacks the excitement of the debut. if you really want to think of buying an oasis-album i'd recommend going for the first one.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:21 pm

For me, the best Oasis song in the world is still "Supersonic". That song just fuckin' RAWKS, no excuses. Now I'll admit that a) I've only heard one of their albums all the way through (Heathen Chemistry) (but I'm willing to hear more), and b) my one and only Oasis collection in my possesion is the silver-boxed EP collection for the UK singles from the first CD. That said, I've been a bit underwhelmed by most of what I've heard on the radio, including (sadly) "Wonderwall". That one more than most will forever suffer from penultimate overexposure more than anything. But for me, the problem with Oasis is that they were a great band on paper, but ultimately only reached the brass ring a few times. But that's just my personal taste; your mileage may definitely vary.

The coolest Oasis release is the EP Wibbling Rivalry, a spoken-word interview/fight that the two of them gave. They're both pissed at each other, and they're really giving each other the business. Classic...

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:23 am

Somewhere I have a recording of Thom Yorke and Colin Greenwood doing a limey-ed up impression of the Gallaghers singing "Wonderwall." They get about a minute into it before they just erupt into laughter. It's friggin' classic...

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:18 pm

steve-o wrote:Somewhere I have a recording of Thom Yorke and Colin Greenwood doing a limey-ed up impression of the Gallaghers singing "Wonderwall." They get about a minute into it before they just erupt into laughter. It's friggin' classic...

Limey-d limeys?

Return to “Rants and Raves”