Where's that confounded bridge?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Where's that confounded bridge?

Post by Dawg » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:26 am

So can any of you music theory geeks tell us the purpose of a bridge in a song? What's the use? Why's it needed? Is it falling by the wayside as a conventional song component?

And on a similar note, what are some of the more memorable bridges in songs? Off the top of my head, that mid 90's song by Space Hog "Meantime" had a great one. Whatcha got?

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Post by steve-o » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:05 am

It can sometimes be a part of a song that acts as a "bridge" between the verse and the chorus (think of the "I wanna bite the hand that feeds me..." bridge from "Radio, Radio." In the context of song that runs ABAB, a bridge is also used to give the chorus or the main hook in a song a little more dramatic effect when the song returns to it towards the end (i.e. think of the bridge from "Every Breath You Take".)

It a little early to be wracking my brain on particular songs, but you'll find that a lot of more pop edged songs that have an ABAB song structure tend to use bridges to break up the repetition. In my own music, we use bridges a lot for that purpose. It's still really, really common in most pop music, both mall-emo and Top 40 uses it a lot.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:10 am

Is this the same as the middle eighth? If so, lots of instances in Beatles' songs. Can't think of examples, tho.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Lep » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:19 am

Yes, it's the middle eight (bars). Though not always eight measures.

I like the slow bit in "Suspicious Minds" that ends with "You know I'd never lie to you" before it builds back up again.

It doesn't have to have singing - like the baroque(ish) piano solo in "In My Life."

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:35 am

Some of my favorite bridges:

Young and beautiful, but some day your looks will be gone.
When the others turn you off, who'll be turning you on?
I will! I will! I will...

and:

Why, tell me why did you not treat me right?
Love has a nasty habit of disappearing over night.

and of course the gorgeous "bah bah bah bah" bridge in "Never My Love" by the Association.

beginthebegin
GLONO Board Pimp

Post by beginthebegin » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:47 pm

A good bridge is consistently my favorite part of many songs. A well-written bridge adds another shade and texture to a song, and often takes it from good song to great song in my mind.

Favorite bridge of all time: "Driver 8" by R.E.M. A good song, but could easily verge on tiresome until you hit that wicked bridge.