Never played

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Never played

Postby Jake » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:04 pm

As of right now, my iTunes library has 9,414 songs. My "Never Played" playlist has 2,395. That's 25%.

Granted, my old second-generation iPod didn't sync playcounts back to iTunes, and I've only had mt current iPod since Christmastime. But still. iTunes thinks a quarter of the songs on my computer have never been played! That's a lot.

How many "never played" songs do you have on your computer?

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:48 am

Almost half! 1903 out of 3963 items as listed in Windows media player library.

But that's obviously not true. First of all, those numbers don't refer to songs, but discrete files. Often I'll listen to a CD a few times before ripping it or stream mp3s on the internets before downloading them. And I think I've moved my music directory around on my computer this year, which restarted the library.

By the way, if you use Firefox and listen to music while surfing the web, the FoxyTunes extension is great!

Baltimucho
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Baltimucho » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:47 pm

442 of 2,552 for me. Most of them seem to be from older CDs. I've had this iPod for almost two years now.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:37 pm

Well, personally, I'm going to make it a goal to convince my computer that I've listened to everything within one year from now. Maybe shorter. If I listen to 100 "never played" tracks per week, that'll be about 24 weeks. But I know I add lots of new songs all the time too. So a year should be totally doable.

NP: "Kiss Off" (live, from the deluxe edition of Violent Femmes).

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:06 am

Of 3777, I have 482 that I have not listened to.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:14 pm

I've got 5,698 on my iPod, and 1,723 have not been played.

But also, consider this: iTunes only considers a song played when it's been listened to the entire way through. So if you (like me) have a collection of 10+ minute Tool songs on your iPod, and you put on one during the five minute drive to the store, it was never played.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:49 pm

Tom4 wrote:I've got 5,698 on my iPod, and 1,723 have not been played.

But also, consider this: iTunes only considers a song played when it's been listened to the entire way through. So if you (like me) have a collection of 10+ minute Tool songs on your iPod, and you put on one during the five minute drive to the store, it was never played.

I can proudly state that I have NO Tool on my iPod or anywhere in my collection.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:27 pm

Tom4 wrote:I've got 5,698 on my iPod, and 1,723 have not been played.

But also, consider this: iTunes only considers a song played when it's been listened to the entire way through.

Dude, that's 30%!

There are loads of restrictions as to why iTunes doesn't know all the songs we've actually listened to. Songs on the radio, in elevators, jukeboxes, on CDs, music videos, Windows Media, etc. That, of course, is given.

The point is that almost a third of your songs in iTunes have never been played all the way through. Don't you find that shocking? Or at least interesting...

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:36 pm

I find it definitely sad. I, like you, will make a concerted effort to listen to those songs. I attribute them to two reasons:

1 - Old CDs that I listened to a lot in the pre-iPod days and have since moved beyond, but like to have at hand anyway.

2 - Sometimes I get into fits of purchasing/downloading (including currently) where I'll put like 10 albums a day on my iPod and some just fall through the cracks.

But yeah, definitely, I need to hear all those out.

And Derek...Tool is a holdover from my metal youth. They're just about all that's left for me from those days, actually. And I still think Aenima is just a kick-ass album.

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:00 am

There's no way I'll ever actually listen to all the songs in my iTunes... I guess it would be nice but there's so much that I just take comfort in it being there - in case I want to hear something from my past on a whim. Also there are a lot of lousy bootlegs and stuff that I can't sit through but don't wanna erase either.

I did make a "smart playlist" that throws an hour's worth of unplayed tunes onto the old iPod so I can try to work my way through the back-catalogue if I'm bored with the other songs on there.

A more telling stat that's available in the new iTunes is "Skip Count" which keeps track of how many times a song has started to play and you've fast-forwarded past it. I'm surprised at the results, b ut sometimes the mood isn't right for even the best songs.

Return to “Rants and Raves”