You know that Tom Waits song you really love?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Arrr Im A Pirate
GLONO Board Playa

You know that Tom Waits song you really love?

Post by Arrr Im A Pirate »

Well now you can hear it with the Hollywood spin
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,221001,00.html

Scarlett Johansson and Lindsay Lohan are about to have something in common.

Scarlett, I am told, has signed a deal to make her first record. "Scarlett Sings Tom Waits" is being recorded now and through the winter, with a possible release next spring from Rhino Records' recently reactivated Atco label. The eventual release date will be coordinated with Johansson's movie schedule.

Fear not, though. Unlike some other recent pop tarts, Scarlett — who turns 22 next month — can actually sing; she is no Paris Hilton. Also, her choice of material is a tad more sophisticated. She's making a whole album of songs by Tom Waits, one of the premier singer-songwriters in the business.

Let's just hope the whole thing won't get "lost in translation." But my spies say that Scarlett has a lovely, whispery delivery that carries a tune nicely and is suited to Waits' unusual lyrics.
Now, I'm not gonna say this will suck because I haven't heard it, but it is pretty silly/funny. Maybe we'll see Jake Gyllenhaal do Morrisey next.

Any opinions?
Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Tom4 »

Wow. I'm kind of shocked by this, actually. I mean, she gets a 10 for her selection of covers. I'll withold judgement until I hear the final product.

And no one can cover Morrisey as well as Colin Meloy.
miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol »

Brokeback Morrissey? A little redundant, don't ya think?

Dear Scarlette, don't be an ass. Stick with acting. You're good at it.
BloodshotBaby
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by BloodshotBaby »

Tom4 wrote:Wow. I'm kind of shocked by this, actually. I mean, she gets a 10 for her selection of covers. I'll withold judgement until I hear the final product.

And no one can cover Morrisey as well as Colin Meloy.
bobby bare jr's cover of 'what difference does it make' is pretty damn awesome....and i can only imagine how utterly great a smoking popes cover of some smiths/moz stuff would be.

but i digress...
Lurker01
Resident troll

OK

Post by Lurker01 »

I can tell where this is going so let me help you all cut to the chase.

Don't Hassel The Hoff!!!
Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Tim »

BloodshotBaby wrote:
bobby bare jr's cover of 'what difference does it make' is pretty damn awesome....and i can only imagine how utterly great a smoking popes cover of some smiths/moz stuff would be.

but i digress...
I love his version of it too! Have you picked up his latest cd by chance? Its on my list of cds to buy.

Scarlett can sing Tom Waits to me anytime she wants, haha! At least she chose someone cool to cover. It actually could be good.
BloodshotBaby
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by BloodshotBaby »

Tim wrote:
I love his version of it too! Have you picked up his latest cd by chance? Its on my list of cds to buy.

Scarlett can sing Tom Waits to me anytime she wants, haha! At least she chose someone cool to cover. It actually could be good.
my house contains a copy, which i will steal when i go home this weekend (i get to come home for the black & orage ball!!!!!!!) i heard it when i was working at bloodshot this summer, and it's good stuff. i *heart* bobby a lot. (and apparently he loves me...he told me so.)

i think that actors and singers should stay in their own fields. this isn't the 30s where you need to be a triple threat (actor/singer/dancer) to break into the entertainment industry.
trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by trainwreck2 »

Last edited by trainwreck2 on Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol »

BloodshotBaby wrote: i think that actors and singers should stay in their own fields. this isn't the 30s where you need to be a triple threat (actor/singer/dancer) to break into the entertainment industry.
No, but it helps. A lot.