Yusuf Islam aka Cat Stevens

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Yusuf Islam aka Cat Stevens

Postby russ » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:50 pm

His new single....I know he is controversial with some of his beliefs and his support of certain groups... but his new song is catchy....in a light FM sort of way...

<li><a href="http://homepage.mac.com/russturk/.Public/Heaven_Where True Love Goes.mp3"target="_blank">Heaven-Where True Love Goes"</a></li>

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:48 pm

I have Teaser And The Firecat on cd and, if I recall, I had the book of this when I was a kid. No complaints from worpswede about Yusuf.
Plus, I love that song he did called "Fight Test."

skyflynn
GLONO Board Playa

Postby skyflynn » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:11 pm

Loved the Harold and Maude soundtrack but supporting the fatwah on Salman Rushdie bought him my utmost contempt for a lifetime..., and I'm a hardcore lefty.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:44 am

Does anybody "the West" ever convert to Islam and NOT become a fucking lunatic freak?

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:39 pm

Sugarcubes, could you qualify that a bit more? If I didn't know you better, I'd say you were trolling. Not all Muslims are extremists, and I can only imagine that would include converts to Islam as well. What you said is mighty bold to be just left alone and unqualified.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:58 pm

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:Does anybody "the West" ever convert to Islam and NOT become a fucking lunatic freak?

One could say that about any new convert to anything be it a religion or quitting smoking. I echo DJ Murph on this. Zealotry is an equal opportunuty employer.

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:45 pm

Can we talk about the music now?

Pweeeze?

O!
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby O! » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:04 am

While Yusuf Islam is a "lunatic freak," I can attest that not all Muslims (converts or born-into) are like him. In fact, most Muslims I meet (and I work for a company whose niche market is the US Muslim population*) deplore much of what he's said and who he associates with.

Back to the music. All I have to say about this song is that, sure, on the surface it sounds like Cat Stevens. But, "Heaven must have programmed you." What the fuck is that?

This song is good supporting evidence for the argument for quitting creativity when you've lost your edge. It sucks.

Sorry, Cat. I mean, Yusuf. You suck.

* I however, am not a Muslim, nor a Christian for that matter. If I had a religion it would be Taoism or a pagan/mystical relationship with the Great Mother.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:01 am

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:Does anybody "the West" ever convert to Islam and NOT become a fucking lunatic freak?

Malcolm X actually mellowed out when he converted to mainstream Islam (post-Elijah Muhammad). But I'm guessing you're not talking about black folks...

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:57 am

Sorry to generalize. But have you ever read the hadith? It's sickening. If an athiest had written similar stuff it would be considered Fascist.

Religion in general is anti-rational. Islam, more than either Judahism or Christianity, demands a greater level of irrationality from its followers. When people accept an entire way of life simply on blind faith, it opens them up to some twisted ways of viewing the world.

Return to “Rants and Raves”