What is it about The Grateful Dead that you like?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Fri May 19, 2006 10:32 pm

Worpswede, thank you for that! You helped me through my Deadhead-dom... Man, when I was young, it felt great to be in that group of people and I even aspired to be one full time.

It broke my heart when I realized the ones that weren't the complete dirt fuck ups were extremely wealthy children who spent the summers driving around on Daddy's money staying in Days Inns. Where I was in an overheated Ford Tempo with no A/C camping alongside the road eating bologna sandwiches and drinking Gennessee Vallee warm out of a can. Still, I had a fucking great summer and they led me to Dylan. Thank god for that.

Still, American Beauty, Wake Of The Flood and Workingman's Dead are stunningly beautiful.

dharmabum110
GLONO Board Playa

Postby dharmabum110 » Sat May 20, 2006 12:31 am

I'm too lazy to quote any of the previous responses but...

I was always under the impression that Pigpen died from liver failure, ie. too much boozing.

My good friend and I argue about the dead everytime we meet up. He can't stand them, even though I burnt my own "best of" disc for him. He just doesn't get it.
I don't "get it" either. I mean, I only dig a few of their albums ('69-'72 era) and the song "The Golden Road (To Unlimited Devotion) and it stops at that.
I like the dead because of "Ripple", "St. Stephen", "and We bid you goodnight" and the live version of "Casey Jones" from the four disc set of the Fillmore Concerts in April of '71. I'm also partial to the stuff from the "Festival Express" DVD and "Candyman" from American Beauty. In "Candyman", the way that Garcia sings "I came in from Memphis... Where I learned to talk the jive" and hits that C sharp minor chord just gets me. "Cosmic Charlie" is another favorite of mine, a great way to end a record. That being said, I'm not a huge fan. I dig the dead in the same way i listen to Bad Company or Elton John. I listen to them to gain a particular feeling from their music, rather than embrace a lifestlye.

Post Script
Does anybody remember VH1's "Most Shocking Moments in Rock n Roll" that aired around 2000-2001? Somewhere in the 60-69 range of the most shocking moments of rock n roll, was the Grateful Dead's appearance on the Playboy channel in 1969. The clip showed Garcia talking to Hef about "time" and how it was similar to "the serpent who eats its own tail". Great period piece. They finished the show by jamming out on "St. Stephen".

BeaArthur5-49
GLONO Board Playa

Postby BeaArthur5-49 » Sat May 20, 2006 12:34 pm

steve-o wrote:What did one deadhead say to the other deadhead when they ran out of acid?

"Man, this band really sucks!"

This is my favorite joke ever. And I've got to join the chorus of dissent; I never saw it. My beef with the Dead was the same as my beef with Phish, Blues Traveller, etc -- If a band needs more than 4* minutes to get in and out of a song, they're belaboring the point.

*I used to say 2 minutes, 20 seconds, but my attention span has grown.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Sat May 20, 2006 3:02 pm

dharmabum110 wrote:"Cosmic Charlie" is another favorite of mine, a great way to end a record.

Agreed. "Go on home your Mama's callin' you." Awesome stuff.
Proptronics wrote:Worpswede, thank you for that! You helped me through my Deadhead-dom... Man, when I was young, it felt great to be in that group of people and I even aspired to be one full time.

It broke my heart when I realized the ones that weren't the complete dirt fuck ups were extremely wealthy children who spent the summers driving around on Daddy's money staying in Days Inns

Thank you! I don't think many board members will change their opinions on the Dead and that's fine. I understand why a lot of people don't like 'em, and I think you explained a lot of those reasons: spoiled rich kids living vicariously among the hippies. The fact is, the band didn't choose who showed up to their shows and they weren't really outspoken about their politics, their influence, or their expectations. In short, they played some tunes, enjoyed the adulation and seemed content with this throughout their career. This ambivalence created some tension on both sides; the "straights" felt the band should be a little more responsible in their message, the older Deadheads felt the band should address the shitty behavior of their newer fans, the newer Deadheads felt the bands should address the increased presence of law enforcement at their shows. I think that's kind of admirable, and in a way, a part of the band's overall appeal. Here's a group of guys that did a lot of drugs, were an important element of some very anarchistic people/groups, allowed fans to tape their shows and even wrote "Fuck You" to Warner Brothers when the label starting exerting a lot of pressure on the band. Ironically, the Sex Pistols did a lot of these same things, which prompted my earlier statement that the Dead were a little "punky" themselves.
Let me clarify something: I was not a youth with limited resources and I didn't follow the band around for weeks. I was a kid from a middle-class family that would see a couple of shows during a tour and then return back home to go to class/work just like the regular folks. But during those shows, I felt something a little more spiritual than what I did at other shows. And like Prop, I also owned a Ford Tempo ('87) and can attest that the A/C on that thing sucked ass.
The last show I went to was during the Terrapin Station weekend at Alpine Valley. Jerry was gone and it looked to be a formal homecoming event that celebrated their legacy. It wasn't, as subsequent "Dead" shows/tours since then proved. The weekend was littered with "the man" busting individuals with joints in the parking lot despite radio messages from Phil Lesh asking fans not to bring drugs into the venue and to behave. So remember what I said before about the band not going out of their way to lecture to their fans like responsible parents? I guess that was a Garcia directive, but we all knew that Jerry was the de-facto leader of these gypsies anyway. As for the music during that weekend, the remaining members did manage to put on a show that was better than the last real Dead show with Jerry: the final show at Soldier Field in Chicago, just weeks before he died. But even though the music was "better," the ultimate vibe was gone, just like Garcia's spirit. I, for one, find what the surviving band members are doing is completely against what Garcia himself would have wanted and crosses a line where they're jeopardizing the band's overall legacy and importance for a few dollars more in their retirement fund.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Sun May 21, 2006 1:22 am

BeaArthur5-49 wrote:
This is my favorite joke ever. And I've got to join the chorus of dissent; I never saw it. My beef with the Dead was the same as my beef with Phish, Blues Traveller, etc -- If a band needs more than 4* minutes to get in and out of a song, they're belaboring the point.

i don't know. there have been plenty of great songs that lasted longer than 4 minutes. and it's not just by hippie jam bands. like built to spill for example. i think if the groove/melody/guitar/whatever is really excellent then let it go on. if it's a great guitar solo then i want to hear it for a while. but i do think there's a limit. anything past 8/9 minutes is pushing it. phish is really bad about this live. i don't want to hear a 30 minute song. that's just too much. but i'm more than fine with a song that goes over the 4 minute mark. cause, to me, sometimes short songs feel rushed. set up sometimes is important.

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Sun May 21, 2006 9:21 pm

Ilike NOTHING about the Grateful Dead.....
no...thats not true.

The one thing I like about The Grateful Dead is that since Garcia passed, they don't tour anymore or make anymore of those horrible sounds they call "music"

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Mon May 22, 2006 9:01 am

BeaArthur5-49 wrote:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't mind ten minute long songs (ie Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky, etc.). Just so long as they don't use a wah-pedal. Doug Martsch is the only guitarist who gets a pass to use one. And that's the only exception.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Mon May 22, 2006 10:13 am

steve-o wrote:. Just so long as they don't use a wah-pedal. Doug Martsch is the only guitarist who gets a pass to use one. And that's the only exception.

Whaddabout J. Mascis?! And Hendrix?!

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Mon May 22, 2006 11:48 am

worpswede wrote:Whaddabout J. Mascis?! And Hendrix?!

OK, point taken. I'll give you J. Mascis. Hendrix I'm not so sure about, because the only thing that comes to mind is "Purple Haze," which is obnoxious.

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Mon May 22, 2006 12:23 pm

how about the band SLEEP with the hourlong song about weeeeeeeeeeed,
steve-o wrote:
Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't mind ten minute long songs (ie Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky, etc.). Just so long as they don't use a wah-pedal. Doug Martsch is the only guitarist who gets a pass to use one. And that's the only exception.

Return to “Rants and Raves”