The Devil and Daniel Johnston

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

The Devil and Daniel Johnston

Postby trainwreck2 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:20 pm

saw this recently and can only say wow...this movie hits all the emotions and will weird you out...
whats a good starter album? ive got FUN on ipod and a bunch of stuff at random, i dig the stuff with just a little instrumentation...
also i think theres a new edition of his biography out now with more art and stuff

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:56 am

yeah, the movie's pretty intense in parts... i never knew about that whole plane thing with his dad... absolutely nuts... i have fun too, and some of the early cassette stuff that i downloaded way back in the early napster days but no other official releases. i think the old cassette stuff has finally been reissued on cd tho...

blackshoestring
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby blackshoestring » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:19 pm

It's so white in here. Wha happened?

I saw this movie recently too - really liked it. Did we talk about "Off the Charts" yet? That and the Tom Dowd one - both very good.

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:36 pm

i think everything is inprint through itunes and the daniel johnston website
i think that is good since his stuff can still be hit and miss...more hit than most though
creepy wrote:yeah, the movie's pretty intense in parts... i never knew about that whole plane thing with his dad... absolutely nuts... i have fun too, and some of the early cassette stuff that i downloaded way back in the early napster days but no other official releases. i think the old cassette stuff has finally been reissued on cd tho...

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:09 pm

blackshoestring wrote:It's so white in here. Wha happened?

Just making sure the carpets match the drapes.

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Postby Dreamin » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:33 pm

creepy wrote:yeah, the movie's pretty intense in parts... i never knew about that whole plane thing with his dad... absolutely nuts

It must be so hard for his parents - you can tell they're worried about what will happen to him after they die. Broke my heart.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:06 pm

Finally got around to watching this, and was moved. Like Dreamin I left the movie worried about his ability to survive w/out his parents, but further research convinced me that since the movie came out he's been doing better, and there are likely people around who can take care of him.

Some of the music is lyrically painful to listen to...pretty much a naked view of his psyche.

The fact that he self-documented most of his life added a lot to the movie.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:27 pm

Not a summer rental then.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:45 pm

miss carol wrote:Not a summer rental then.

He also makes some daring escapes and crash-lands a plane single-handedly, so yeah, it's got some of that summer blockbuster feel.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:57 pm

jonas wrote:
He also makes some daring escapes and crash-lands a plane single-handedly, so yeah, it's got some of that summer blockbuster feel.

You mean it's an action-packed thrill ride?

Return to “Rants and Raves”