BEATLES 'Love'

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

BEATLES 'Love'

Postby russ » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:53 pm

I got the cd yesterday and some of the tracks are really clever.
Not all the tracks are as mashed-up as the others, but everything has been tweeked and it sounds all very modern, yet still classic.
I guess its something you have to hear and judge for yourself.

I love what they did to STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER.
Check it out:

<li><a href="http://homepage.mac.com/russturk/.Public/StrawberryFields Forever.mp3"target="_blank">Strawberry Fields Forever"</a></li>

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:42 pm

Haha...when I saw a threat about the Beatles I said to myself, "Has to be Russ' doing."

You single-handedly keep me up-to-date with the posthumous career moves of the Fab Four.

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:38 pm

Tom4 wrote:Haha...when I saw a threat about the Beatles I said to myself, "Has to be Russ' doing."

You single-handedly keep me up-to-date with the posthumous career moves of the Fab Four.

Well, I am a Beatlemaniac after all.....

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:12 am

Absolutely. Nothing wrong with that, either.

I'm a Radioheadamaniac.

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:28 am

one of these days maybe ill really get into the beatles... i like a lot of their songs and have most of the "classic" later albums but really i almost never dig em out at all

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:57 am

trainwreck2 wrote:one of these days maybe ill really get into the beatles... i like a lot of their songs and have most of the "classic" later albums but really i almost never dig em out at all

If you like alot of their songs and have alot of their albums, you are already into the Beatles, my friend,hehe.

I could talk all day about how amazing they were as a band pushing musical boundaries, and their excellent songwriting.......

Most bands put out a cd every few years....The Beatles entire output (not counting the Anthology cds, the '#1' hits cd and 'Love') was done in around 7 years.

Amazing.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:32 pm

I was like you, trainwreck, but a certain experience with a powerful hallucinogen and Abbey Road (I know, sooooo cliche) turned me around.

Now, I constantly flip-flop as to my favorite album. It's between Abbey, Sgt. Peppers, and Revolver. All depends on my mood and the Earth's rotation.

But "You Never Give Me Your Money" is undeniably my favorite song.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:10 am

Tom4 wrote:
Russ wrote:Well, I am a Beatlemaniac after all

I'm a Radioheadamaniac.

So does that make me a AlexChiltonmaniac? Or a LoudFamilymaniac? Oh, the possibilities you can go with this one...

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:51 am

Tom4 wrote:I was like you, trainwreck, but a certain experience with a powerful hallucinogen and Abbey Road (I know, sooooo cliche) turned me around.

Now, I constantly flip-flop as to my favorite album. It's between Abbey, Sgt. Peppers, and Revolver. All depends on my mood and the Earth's rotation.

But "You Never Give Me Your Money" is undeniably my favorite song.

Always been into the Beatles. Always. But that powerful hallucinogen visited me as well and told me Revolver is their best album. But something strange happened earlier this year when I picked up The Capitol Years Volume 2: I'm starting to think that Rubber Soul might be my favorite album.
The favorite Beatle album seems to be changing with age, but The White Album always seems to land at number two, probably because of the number of excellent songs found on that double.
I'm torn about Love. It seems relatively harmless enough and the sample that Russ linked was fairly enjoyable.
I've resigned myself to the fact that they need to keep rehashing/retooling the Beatle catalog to keep interest up and to grow the base of young listeners. That's kind of sad because the story of the band and the music they created really speaks for itself.
I liked how Noel Gahhagher started some shit about the Love album and how George Martin responded to it.
Which leads me to the obvious question of how George Martin could be envolved with any remixing of a Beatles album to begin with? I thought McCartney said that Sir George was almost deaf, which is why he doesn't get used much as a producer any more. And since when does his son get to be entitled to become a Beatles producer?
Damn this nepotism!

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:29 pm

worpswede wrote:
Which leads me to the obvious question of how George Martin could be envolved with any remixing of a Beatles album to begin with? I thought McCartney said that Sir George was almost deaf, which is why he doesn't get used much as a producer any more. And since when does his son get to be entitled to become a Beatles producer?
Damn this nepotism!

Its all there in the liner notes of LOVE.
Giles Martin (who's a producer in his own right, he's 38 yrs old, not a kid) did most of the tinkering, then George Martin had to give his opinion, and if he approved what Giles did, Paul, Ringo, Yoko and Olivia Harrison had to give the final approval/disapproval of all tracks he tinkered with.

Heres another mp3.
Its "For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite.
The song is normal until the end, where it segues into I Want You (She's So Heavy) and Helter Skelter.

Really cool!!!!

<li><a href="http://homepage.mac.com/russturk/.Public/Mrkite.mp3"target="_blank">Mr. Kite_She's So Heavy_Skelter"</a></li>

Return to “Rants and Raves”