Zune - avoid it.

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Zune - avoid it.

Post by Mixmaster Shecky »

Ouch. Andy Ihnatko unloads on Microsoft's 'iPod killer'.

It's pretty funny. Andy starts slow, but then he really gets going:
"These devices are just repositories for stolen music, and they all know it," said Doug Morris, CEO of Universal Music Group. "So it's time to get paid for it."

Well, Morris is just a big, clueless idiot, of course. Do you honestly want morons like him to have power over your music player?
Then go ahead and buy a Zune. You'll find that the Zune Planet orbits the music industry's Bizarro World, where users aren't allowed to do anything that isn't in the industry's direct interests.

Take the Zune's one unique and potentially ginchy feature: Wi-Fi. You see this printed on the box and you immediately think "Cool. So I can sync files from my desktop library without having to plug in a USB cable, right? Maybe even download new content directly to the device from the Internet?"

Typical, selfish user: How does your convenience help make money for Universal? No wonder Doug despises you.
Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Tom4 »

That's interesting. I love my iPod, I couldn't imagine getting another player.

Jake, didn't you get a Zune? Did you have similar experiences with it?
D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Post by D. Phillips »

Tom4 wrote:That's interesting. I love my iPod, I couldn't imagine getting another player.

Jake, didn't you get a Zune? Did you have similar experiences with it?
He most certainly doues not have a Zune. Perish the thought!
miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol »

The only thing that would make this situation better is if the likes of Universal put up some R&D money. I'd so love for them to take a bath on this nonsense.
Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

Tom4 wrote:Jake, didn't you get a Zune? Did you have similar experiences with it?
No, but I do like the color brown.
grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am »

how bad is the zune? i really want one. i need to replace my ipod and this looks pretty cool.
thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by thinsafetypin »

grounded5am wrote:how bad is the zune? i really want one.
ummm... why?

seriously, i would like to know why anyone would want one. i thought the wi-fi capability would possibly be a draw until i saw what you can do with it. that's pretty much the lamest use of wi-fi i've ever seen. i can understand not wanting an ipod (although i love mine) but the zune looks about as much like an ipod killer as sum 41 does like a clash killer.
steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Post by steve-o »

And the software sucks too. But at least you get to look at lots of cool pictures of Young Hip Kids Doin' StuffTM My prediction is that this is going to be the Crystal Pepsi of portable music players.
grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am »

thinsafetypin wrote:
ummm... why?

seriously, i would like to know why anyone would want one. i thought the wi-fi capability would possibly be a draw until i saw what you can do with it. that's pretty much the lamest use of wi-fi i've ever seen. i can understand not wanting an ipod (although i love mine) but the zune looks about as much like an ipod killer as sum 41 does like a clash killer.

well, out of all the other mp3 players out there that isn't the ipod the zune looks the best and looks to have the better features. there aren't any real serious alternatives to the ipod until now. the zune looks to have to the best chance at competing with the ipod. i, frankly, have had too many problems with my ipod to consider another one. although mine was one of the original ones it still didn't bolster confidence in me to buy another one of their products. all the other mp3 players though look like shit. the zune is the ony one that doesn't look like it sucks a big one. i'm still undecided.
Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

grounded5am wrote:there aren't any real serious alternatives to the ipod until now.
http://www.pezmp3.com/

Seriously though, there are alternatives. Toshiba and SanDisk and Creative make some. But (from what I hear) the iPod's got the only usable UI. I don't give a shit about support for music store purchases (iTunes, Rhapsody, etc.), but it would be cool to have a device that plays OGG and FLAC files.

I'd also like to be able to hook up a mic and be able to record quality audio to it.