Zune - avoid it.

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by worpswede »

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:dude, how is it that you have a Zune to play around with and even load your music library onto.......but you haven't decided to buy one yet????

You're an industry shill, just admit it once and for all.
I was thinking the same thing; less than 24 hours prior to that post, G5A was going to do some additional "research" before making a commitment.
Seriously, every bit of dialogue that I've heard about the Zune, other than people who have a vested interest in having it succeed, seem to declare that it's shit.
How does one go from "I'm doing to research" to "I've loaded my library and tested out some features but haven't bought it yet" in less than a day?
grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am »

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:dude, how is it that you have a Zune to play around with and even load your music library onto.......but you haven't decided to buy one yet????

You're an industry shill, just admit it once and for all.
i have the zune media player loaded onto my computer. i don't actually have a physical zune player. it's like itunes. one can use itunes without having an ipod. same thing here. i haven't got a zune player yet. part of my research i'm doing involves the zune media player. i had heard that it was a pain in the ass to load and that it, among other things, crashed someone's computer. i certainly don't want to buy a zune if it's media player isn't going to work. i have heard both favorable reviews and bad reviews. There's a pretty good review of it over at the wired blogs. here's the link: http://blog.wired.com/music/2006/11/han ... ith_t.html

and i wish i was an industry shrill. then i'd get paid more and wouldn't be worrying about money problems at the moment.
thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by thinsafetypin »

i dunno, man... even that "good" review included the following:
There's been a lot of hubbub about the three-listens-in-three-days timeout for content transferred to a new user over Wi-Fi. However, if both people are Zune Pass subscribers, transferred subscription songs last for as long as the recipient keeps their Zune Pass subscription going ($15 per month).
the whole $15/month to keep listening thing excites me about as much as an enema. i LOVE the idea of wi-fi on a digital media player, especially (and i know this would never happen) if you could just transfer songs back & forth normally or download from sites like emusic or music blogs while on the go. i'm sure the RIAA would have a hissy fit if someone unveiled a media player that could do that, regardless that none of it is functionality a simple wi-fi enabled laptop doesn't have.
Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Post by Mixmaster Shecky »

thinsafetypin wrote:the whole $15/month to keep listening thing excites me about as much as an enema.
So, TSP, are you saying you're excited by it, or not? I mean, different strokes and all...who am I to judge?

But yeah, I agree - I really don't understand the renting music bit. Just seems kind of stupid to me.
Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Sugarcubes Forever »

thinsafetypin wrote:
i'm sure the RIAA would have a hissy fit if someone unveiled a media player that could do that, regardless that none of it is functionality a simple wi-fi enabled laptop doesn't have.
technically, anything with a speaker and a mic can do that.......

that's how I started making mixed tapes when I was in the 5th grade. I remember in 6th grade getting a boom box that could record to cassette what I was listenting to on the radio. It was a revelation. No backround noise of my mother telling me to turn the radio down.
WalterCracker
GLONO Board Playa

Post by WalterCracker »

I think the original article was correct. It'll be dead within 6 months (or a year at best).

Still using my original 2g 10GB ipod (4 years old). If it's not broke......
grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am »

the thing is it is broke. at least for me anyway. my ipod will not turn on. i haven't charged in a while, but then i haven't used it enough to loose any charge. and even when it was charged it didn't always work. i had to reset at least twice. if not more. and i couldn't get it to work for me to upload songs. mine is 3 years old and it has been headache after headache for me it seems. i think there are too many bugs that do need fixing, which is why i'm in the market for a new player. i'm sure that apple and ipod may have fixed the bugs, but i'm not willing to risk the money again on another ipod. my confidence is very shaken.

plus i was never too happy with the sound all that much. i can't speak for the zune and how long it will last, but i can't imagine it being dead in 6 months. why fuel all this money into a product that will dead in 6 months? i think that microsoft is commited to the zune for the long haul. of course i could be wrong. it's just that there are so many other players out there trying to take a dent of the ipod market or at least be able to compete with little success. they're still around. i personally think that if they can innovate and deliver on apple's idea behind the ipod then i am all for it. as i don't think that apple delivered on the promise of its idea. not saying that znne is doing that or is the answer though. who knows.
Nicolson
GLONO Board Pimp

Post by Nicolson »

grounded5am wrote:i personally think that if they can innovate and deliver on apple's idea behind the ipod then i am all for it.
That's one mighty big "if" my friend. Nothing I've seen about the Zune (and nothing I know about Microsoft) leads me to believe that they will do it. The fact that the music industry hacks had such obvious input into its design is a deal-breaker right there (the idiotic use of wi-fi??? It's not just next-to-useless, it's downright insulting to customers. Microsoft took the one cool feature and pissed it away by making tied to an obvious ploy to get people to buy music). And that $15/mo fee is so incredibly bogus.

I think this parody ad hits it pretty much on the nose:

Meanwhile, Apple is reportedly working on actual wi-fi capability for Ipods...as well as making advancements in screen brightness, durability, battery life, etc.

Now, of course, Apple are greedy bastards just like everyone else. I just happen to think they are a bit cooler in their design and technique. I've had my 30G Ipod for almost a year and no complaints yet (knock on wood)...unless you count wishing I had been able to get the 60G instead since I'm out of space.
amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by amighty »

grounded5am wrote:tmine is 3 years old and it has been headache after headache for me it seems. i think there are too many bugs that do need fixing, which is why i'm in the market for a new player.
I have to sayI am just amazed at how much trouble you seem to have with your iPod. My 3+ yo iPod sill works great (altho I use a nano now). Sure, I've had to reset it a couple of times, but it's not like that takes more than a couple of seconds.

I feel like everyone (except for you, obvs) would have to admit that iTunes and iPod work really well, even if not perfectly. I DO have one other friend who doesn't like iTunes and prefers Windows Media Player, but he LOVES his iPod.

In NYC there are a LOT of iPods. There are also a lot of other players that I see on the subway. Sure, it's brand new, but I have yet to spot one Zune. Monstly people seem to prefer smaller, cheaper players but I have seen the occasional Dell DJ.

Point being, the Zune, as it stands now, seems to offer less standard features, no new features, and less content and options than the other options out there. It seems to be more of a pain to manage music on it, and it's a big honker to boot. I don't understand why you - or anyone - wuould spend good money on it over the myriad of other players out there.

Look at this little bad-boy:

I don't even think the Zune will make much a dent in the non-iPod mp3 market. Seem slike it's already fallen flat
grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am »

i don't know why i've had so much trouble with it. but i just never could get it to work a lot of the times. and after a certain point i quit giving a crap and went back to my cd player. i don't think the zune is big honker myself and the fact that it doesn't have a lot of standard features like the ipod is one of it's selling points to me.

i like the idea of having photos and being able to play vidoes, but aside from that i don't want my mp3 player do anything else but play music. i never used the other features on my ipod. the games suck and i got too many clocks/watches to count. plus if i'm going to play games i'll get out my psp. i was only using the ipod for playing music. as to why i would want a zune, well it comes down to the fact that i might actually use it like i do my cd player. here's what got me into the idea of a zune to begin with:

1. saw ad on glorious noise.
2. wondered what the hell zune was so i clicked the ad.
3. got intrigued.
4. saw really good pictures of the zune and got more intrigued.
5. saw the zune in target and started getting more intrigued.
6. realized that i have a lot of shows that i've downloaded with nowhere to play them outside of my computer.
7. meaning i've been in the market for a player.
8. somewhere after target zune just started becoming more and more interesting to me.

i can't really explain it in any more detail than that, as i don't know exactly the zune is the player i'm most thinking about. i guess i just like the look, the software, and the whole package in general. i'm not trying to sell the zune. i can't even afford to buy one for myself. and i know selling the zune on here would have the same effect as trying to sell swim trunks and sun tan lotion to eskimos. i guess no other player out there has really peaked my interest enough to buy one or want to buy one.