Marissaless OC

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Marissaless OC

Postby amighty » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:15 pm

Anyone watching the new season? The music is still cool, and the plots are no dumber or more contrived than they've been ever since the main plot played out in season one. I've only been watching it 'cause it's getting recorded by my DVR, but I kinda like it and I can really barely pay attention.

Everyone on the show seems tired of the job, and the characters actually seem weary and wary of the repetitive plotlines and the odd way everyone seems to be moving in together to cut down on the set-pieces. They use maybe three shots of the Brown campus over and over again and no one ever seems to leave one corner of the kitchen and Ryan's room.

Just a lingering guilty pleasure I guess, but it hasn't been taking itself too seriously and I liked the Goldspot cover of "Float On" they featured last night.
The new girls in the cast are cute, but there doesn't really seem to be much going on.

Anyone else even slightly interested?

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:22 pm

i think that they need to be even more self conciously dumb on the show (such as nexts weeks heacy metal video fantasy thingamajig), i suspect itll be the last season and they probably know it
i cant wait for Summers revenge on the patchouli terrorist
oh yeah, someone needs to give minicoop some sinus medicine...she sounds like that annotying kid on king of the hill with the buzzcut and ponytail

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:04 pm

I've watched three of this season's episodes.

It is fucking stupid. Not even a hint of guilty pop coolness to it anylonger.

The second season was so terrible that it simply can't recover. The WSJ has an article today about how the show has tanked since it's second season, partly due to writing blunders and partly due to meddling by the Network heads.

I think it went wrong when Doe Eyed Fawn started munching carpet. I could have handled it if they'd made her gay. But to chock it up to experimentation is just dumb. I'm sorry, but straight kids just don't move in with adult gay people to play house. dumb dumb dumb.

I like, as with all shows, to compare it to Buffy. Joss Whedon killed off characters, threw in 180degree plot twists, turned good characters bad and almost always made it interesting and worth watching...all the while keeping things hip and relevent to its audience.

Needless to say, I think the OC was a once season fluke. Oh well, at least that first season was cool.

Now....everybody go watch Battlestar Galactica. It's the best show on TV.

Peace Out.

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:34 pm

Let's get this straight: I think the show is retarded. I sit there and eat dinner and just shake my head and chuckle AT the show, not WITH it. Now, I dunno what the hell the Wall Street Journal would ever say good about the OC, but I agree that the writers weren't really thinking past the opening conflicts between rich girl/bad boy and nerd/popular hottie.

The show went wrong after Oliver (I think that was his name) went out of the picture, since then they've just been recycling plots. I forgot about that lesbian thing though, that was a different twist.

They really just seem to be fufilling some kind of contractual obligation at this point, but there's enough talent there that the show can still be amusing. It's a conscious mockery of itself.

Battlestar rocks. Lost blows. Heroes is actually pretty good. Can't believe thay cancelled Invasion. Studio 60 is booooring and 30 Rock is funny. The Office gets better every week. That's everything I have an opinion about.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:39 pm

Scrubs is the only thing on network tv I watch. I tried to get into The Office, but the only thing I could think about was "Uh, I have the DVDs of the British version 10 feet away. I'm gonna just watch those again instead." That being said, I love Steve Carrell and Rainn Wilson (who was brilliant as Arthur on Six Feet Under). I'm sure I'm missing something great, but I can't bring myself to watch it.

If nothing good is on Comedy Central, any of the HBOs, or ESPN, I turn the TV off.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:06 pm

Hey, I'm the self-impressed jerk who gave up tv completely, here to piss all over your favorite shows. Ha ha ha! The Office stinks! I read Proust!

Actually, my DVR got fried in a power surge a few months back, and I honestly can't watch tv without my trusty ReplayTV (the banned model with built-in commercial skip). Those things are the greatest invention of the 20th century, better even than the internal combustion engine or the lunar landing module.

If I can ever make money again, I'll get it replaced, but till then I can't watch tv.

Greenwood The Sock Monkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Greenwood The Sock Monkey » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:00 am

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:I honestly can't watch tv without my trusty ReplayTV (the banned model with built-in commercial skip). Those things are the greatest invention of the 20th century, better even than the internal combustion engine or the lunar landing module.

I'm going to betray my extremely uncool knowledge of thermodynamic technology and point out that the internal combustion engine is actually a 19th century invention :-) Albeit one that was dramatically popularized in the 20th century. My alter ego in real life designs refineries, and I can pretty much sketch an Otto cycle from memory...

This ReplayTV auto-skip feature sounds pretty cool. It also sounds like exactly the sort of thing that would scare network TV executives shitless. My PVR has the 30-second advance button but it's far from automagic.

I have no opinion on the OC, other than shows of its ilk tend to have a pretty short shelf life so enjoy it while it lasts. I will, however, vouch for the hilarity of The Office (esp. Prison Mike, that was gold) and even put in a good word for the oft-maligned Studio 60.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:54 am

Greenwood The Sock Monkey wrote:I have no opinion on the OC, other than shows of its ilk tend to have a pretty short shelf life so enjoy it while it lasts. I will, however, vouch for the hilarity of The Office (esp. Prison Mike, that was gold) and even put in a good word for the oft-maligned Studio 60.

DUDE!!! You know nothing.

90120 lasted 10 f'ing years. 10 years!

It wasn't until the second half of it's run that academy award winning actress Hillary Swank starred on the show.

Some would argue that the show didn't really pick up steam until David Silver hit the crank and turned the Peach Pit into a shitty bar.

These things can live forever. Never for get that.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:24 am

Donna Martin graduates! Donna Martin graduates!

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:48 am

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:It wasn't until the second half of it's run that academy award winning actress Hillary Swank starred on the show.

Nothing she'll ever do will erase the image of her as "The Next Karate Kid" in my mind.

90210 was pretty unwatchable at the end there, I vaguely remember they all lived in the Walsh's house together, Brenda was long gone, and they owned a newspaper or something.

Return to “Rants and Raves”