Marissaless OC

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:15 pm

trainwreck2 wrote:in an interview she says she yells at people in Hummers
how is she being any different?
it still doesnt make a difference in my life and she is certainly doing a lot of good I will admit

You're only picking out part of the interview.

"First of all, I don't fly Gulfstream jets. I know people say that about me but I don't. I fly most of the year commercially and lots of people have seen me on American and United. I do fly private occasionally."

She's a little old for me. But I'd do her.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:20 pm

Here's her take on a broader question:

From Grist

But why not shrink your wardrobe or move to a smaller house, given that less dry-cleaning would do more for the environment than saving the plastic bags? Or that the energy saved in heating and cooling a smaller house could be more substantial than what you save driving a Prius?

Everybody has to strike their own balance between how they want to live and how they can reduce their impact. If the environmental movement wants to be mainstream, it has to lose its purer-than-thou, all-or-nothing attitude. It has to be pragmatic enough to bring everyone onboard. If perfection is the measure, we will fail to appeal to anyone but the fringe.

Sure, I have a big house, but I use it to gather hundreds of people for eco-salons. That's not to justify the size of it, but it does create opportunities to spread knowledge and raise money for the greater environmental good. Sure, I could always cut down on clothes and dry-cleaning, but the point is not necessarily what more you could do -- we could all do more -- the point is that we do our part. And even with the house and clothes, I think I can do, and am doing, my part.

Return to “Rants and Raves”