So Divided

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

LionIndex
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

So Divided

Postby LionIndex » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:31 am

Has anyone subjected themselves to the new ...Trail o' Dead album yet? From reviews on Amazon and AllMusic it seems to be heading more into the prog direction, which, in my opinion, isn't really a good thing. So, is that true? Does it rock?

Full disclosure: My favorite album by them is Madonna; I liked maybe three songs on the last one.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:24 pm

You'll prolly like about 3 songs on this one, too. Sounds much the same as the last one to me - I wouldn't say prog-rock, personally.

Man - these guys need to get back to screaming and power chords, seriously.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:28 pm

Agreed. Time was, I'd have been at the record store on new release Tuesday with a copy in-hand. i've yet to hear it.

source tags & codes is my favorite. worlds apart is not so good. don't like the prospects of this one, either.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:48 pm

well, i am new to the trail of the dead camp and i was surprised that i liked so divided so much. usually cd's that come out this late don't usually garner a lot of attention from me, but so divided has. and you will know us by the trail of the dead have now become a new band for me to discover and pour through some of their back catalouge.

i like the sound of the songs on so divided and i think the band has created a really, really good record. i came late into the game so i don't know if this has anything to do with my liking it or not. i got one of the live cd's they released this year and i was highly impressed with them as a live band.

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:04 pm

sadly, i haven't heard source tags and codes. someday i will get my hands on it.

but between thel last two, i far prefer worlds apart to so divided. the new one is so damn weak, with the exception of just a few tracks (or parts of tracks). at least the last one had more consistent rockin' moments, even if they don't stand up to the first record.

"I know how the best will fall, and the rest will follow!"

LionIndex
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby LionIndex » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:56 pm

Their live shows are (were?) good, and I bought a copy of when they played here hoping to be able to detect when the bassist threw his guitar 20 feet across the stage and threw a window. Sadly, no luck. However, that concert also really highlighted the difference between where they are now and where they came from, since they do a pretty thorough survey of their discography in concert (although they only play Richter Scale Madness off their self-titled album) and you end up hearing a new song and an old back-to-back. So, they'll play something totally insane from the early days, like "Totally Natural" or "Homage", and then play "Worlds Apart" or "Summer of '91" and the contrast is just more obvious: the newer stuff is just standard I-IV-V chord progress mallternative junk, while the early songs are riff-driven heavily distorted screamfests that sound like an 18-wheeler going down a 20-mile downgrade with no brakes. Even sadder, they don't sing the right lyrics any more--the "Kill! Kill kill!" bridge from "Richter Scale Madness" is now "Go! Go go!; and Conrad just screams when he's supposed to say "fuck you!" on "A Perfect Teenhood." Lame.

So, I don't know if they're trying to be more commercial and shift more units or what (I've read that they almost broke up after the last album didn't sell as big as they wanted it to), but they're certainly getting away from what conquered me in the beginning, so I probably won't be bothering with the new disc.

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:15 pm

ive yet to dig the guys...maybe the cds take time? i saw em once when they opened for Behead The Prophet at a little record store in Houston

michaelvincent
GLONO Board Playa

Postby michaelvincent » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:53 pm

Source Tags was perfection to me, but after I caught them at the Middle East in Boston on the Worlds Apart tour I found myself liking that album more and more. Not as good as Source Tags but after a few listens I really warmed up to it.

So Divided on the other hand...in the words of Marty Dibergi...shit sandwich.

Return to “Rants and Raves”