Holly Golightly

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Holly Golightly

Postby amighty » Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:03 pm

Aren't girls just the greatest? last night I saw Holly Golightly, Ko and the Knockouts, and the Hissyfits at the Mercury Lounge, a small 100-or so person venue, in NYC. A good time was had by everyone who paid their 10 bucks. Women rock bands are just flooding the scene but in a good way, they seem to have more barriers and stereotypes to break through, and when done right they can rock with the best of 'em.

The Hissyfits wre pretty good, the lead singer needs to larn to sing a little better, but otherwise they were impressive, if not in an original way but still.

Ko and the Knockouts couldn't have seemed more thrilled to be there. I've seen them a couple of times and Ko's voice is everything that the Hissyfits were not. Her dancing is infectious and their tunes are mostly classics. Too bad the great guitar player hadn't learned "Twisting Postman".

But Let's talk about Holly. She is number one in my book, she's a superstar who doesn't seem to really want "typical" success. Her records are all super, she can rock and be mellow and dreamy. She boozes on stage like a fiend, doesn't really seem to have a band of her own, or really do much to get her records into shops.

With all the great rock and roll I got for a sawbuck and could watch form 10 feet away I wonder what I'm hoping to get from this White Stripes show for whatever horrendous price in the way-too-big Hammerstein ballroom that I'm gonna have to fight for tix for....

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:04 pm

I just heard Holly's live performance on WFMU. A few weeks ago I heard KO & The Knockouts. Both were great. I can only hope they manage to treat Toronto to their dolcet tones sometime soon. Tonight they're playing Maxwells.

sigh...one day...

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:20 pm

did you hear that wfmu set live, or could you stream it somehow? I didn't seem to be able to hear it on their web page.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:31 pm

Live from the webpage. I listen at work in real time. Keeps me sane. Usually I start listening at 12 noon and end at 5pm everyday.

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Sat Mar 29, 2003 1:37 pm

That was a good set! I used to listen to FMU all the time back in HS and college... then in NYC you don't get a great signal. Awesome to find out I can stream it - plus Terri has a lot of great shows in her archive. Ko and the Knockouts for example!

Craigthestroke
GLONO Board Playa

Postby Craigthestroke » Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:33 pm

has holly got an official site(or any other sites for that matter) that you guys know of? im having trouble finding any

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Thu Apr 03, 2003 10:28 am

Craigthestroke wrote:has holly got an official site

try this: www.theebillychildish.com/holly.htm it's about as close as you're gonna get. Otherwise Google it.

trix
GLONO Board Playa

Postby trix » Thu Apr 03, 2003 11:00 am

women rockers?

i hate the attitude some people have to girls who play guitar.
like soundmen who try to explain thing like 'this is an amp! this will be your microphone! oh! thats a bar chord! yay!'.

or guys who offer to tune the guitar. or say thats great for a girl! or its sooo cool to see a girl guitarist...

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:30 pm

I dunno... it seems like women who really rocked have been in the minority for quite some time. Women do everything differently than men and it IS great (to me at least) to see/hear how they do it.

When I look around me right now, in the nuevo-garag scene, it seems like at least half the bands on my current rotation have a female lead guitarist and/or vocalist. It's certainly not because I'm condescending to to them or because I think they are some sort of iteresting novelty, I respect them. On the other hand, I DO find it refreshing, and I seek that out accordingly and take note.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Thu Apr 03, 2003 10:13 pm

It's an unfortunate thing that there's bands then there's girl-bands. I don't get all twisted about it, but why are Saraha Hotnights girl-rockers but The Vines rockers? It's a beef I've had for a while. I used to host a women's music show back in the day the modus operandi of which was to expose people to just how many women were playing/writing/producing. This was when the whole riot grrl trip started. Good intentions and all that... I love to hear women rock out if only to hear a different take on lyrics and, frankly, more high end vocals. I don't think female musicians inherently have a different approach to music by virtue of their biological make up. That said, my all time faves are Concrete Blonde and The Muffs. I've never heard a bass dance like Jeannette Napolitano's.

Return to “Rants and Raves”