Holly Golightly

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Sat Apr 05, 2003 5:25 pm

miss carol wrote:Neko Case could take S-K in a cage match just by staring them down! Dammit!

And not to be a dirty old man, but Neko Case is super duper hot [not safe for work] and not afraid/ashamed/uptight/etc. to be super duper hot.

clem

Re: Holly Golightly

Postby clem » Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:18 am

Amighty wrote:But Let's talk about Holly. She is number one in my book, she's a superstar who doesn't seem to really want "typical" success. Her records are all super, she can rock and be mellow and dreamy. She boozes on stage like a fiend, doesn't really seem to have a band of her own, or really do much to get her records into shops.

I was so excited to see a topic on Holly Golightly here with 20 threads and then almost none of them are on topic. Sad.

Sadder still is my browser helpfully killing the post I'd originally written.

Anyway, I used to describe Holly to friends as the kind of artist that is so cool it hurts. So cool that you don't want to tell people about her. I was just kidding - kind of. While it's great to see bands in small, intimate bars, you also want them to succeed and make more records for you to listen to. Holly writes great songs, is prolific as hell and gets almost no press outside of the garage scene. And that's like 14 people, 2 of them shut-ins. I'm hoping the overwhelming hype accompanying the new White Stripes record will give her some exposure and she'll get some much deserved attention.

You can check out a few mp3s on her Epitonic site:

http://www.epitonic.com/artists/hollygolightly.html

Not the ones i would have chosen, but then I'm not her. I'd probably rank her records as something like:

1) Serial Girlfriend
The Good Things
Main Attraction
2) Painted On
God Don't Like It
4) Serial Round-Up (singles, b-sides, rarities kind of thing)
5) Up The Empire (live)

She has another record I haven't heard, Laugh It All Up, which I guess has a lot of covers, and some collaborations with Billy Childish and Dan Melchior. The Billy Childish one, In Blood, is kind of a novelty thing. I'm kind of curious to see what the Dan Melchior one is like since his own Broke Revue stuff is so bad ass, anyone?

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Mon Apr 07, 2003 6:08 pm

Well I don't quite understand your numbering system, but otherwise I pretty much agree with you. I have friends who think I push her music a little too hard, but whatever, I really "dig her vibe". I personally think Up the Empire is great. Laugh It All Up is really good too, a few covers, but a lot of original stuff that's also on th Singles Round-Up. I also found another live concert from last year on a seemingly legit CD release in some dinky record shop in the village, called "alive in America". Grab it if you see it, I feel like it's the exact same set she's played a few of the times I've seen her.

Did you catch her appearance on Elephant? I think she's poised to EXPLODE! look out Avril!

clem

Postby clem » Tue Apr 08, 2003 5:01 am

Amighty wrote:Well I don't quite understand your numbering system, but otherwise I pretty much agree with you.

Yeah, the numbering didn't really come out too well on the hastily done re-write. The idea was that the first group (Main Attraction, Serial Girlfriend, Good Things) was composed of records that were approximately equal, followed up by the next two records which were again about the same level and then the others which got marked down for not being 'real' records in the sense that the others are. The lack of a group 3 was just me being a retard.

Did you catch her appearance on Elephant? I think she's poised to EXPLODE! look out Avril!

I'm hoping that somewhere in all the media hype that gets spilled over that record there will be a little left over for Holly. It's about time for a new record from her too, and that would be a killer move to capitalize on the momentary name recognition that she'll have.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Apr 08, 2003 7:45 am

clem wrote:I'm hoping that somewhere in all the media hype that gets spilled over that record there will be a little left over for Holly. It's about time for a new record from her too, and that would be a killer move to capitalize on the momentary name recognition that she'll have.

It's unfortunate that she appears on the worst song (by far!) on the album.

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:49 am

clem wrote: It's about time for a new record from her too, and that would be a killer move to capitalize on the momentary name recognition that she'll have.

She was talking about a new album at her last show here in NY. Besides the White Srripes hype she has a little Greenhornes hype too, since those guys will supposedly be playing on her new album too. Wait - was there any Greenhornes hype?

O!
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby O! » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:47 am

Cat! Caaaat! Oh, where are you cat!?

Return to “Rants and Raves”