Icarus Line go after Stevie Ray Vaughan's guitar

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby ryanking » Mon Mar 25, 2002 4:26 pm

Did you guys hear about this? Last week, the Icarus Line, directly related to the rock mockers at buddyhead.com, got booked at the Hard Rock Cafe for SXSW and, during the band's set, the lead guitar player takes a mic stand and smashes the display case next to the stage containing Stevie Ray Vaughan's guitar, grabs the guitar and tries to plug it in! Security swarms the kid in like 0.5 seconds, and they get the guitar but not him. They chase him for about four blocks down the street until he gets away.

'course the guitar was some Fender Squier whatever model that Stevie Ray would never touch in real life- it just looked like his. Like all the "rock star's" guitars in Hard Rock- it wasn't the real thing. Hmm. Kind of like the Hard Rock itself.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Mar 25, 2002 5:25 pm

I just read that. It's the best. That's so funny. I love the fact that nobody expects rock and roll kids to misbehave anymore. It's shocking that those boys would act so disrespectfully in such a highly regarded establishment as the Hard Rock Cafe!

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby ryanking » Tue Mar 26, 2002 9:08 am

Yeah, the nerve!!! And at an industry conference, no less! Don't those little punks realize the bridges that they're burning? They'll never have MAJOR LABEL CREDIBILITY!

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Mar 26, 2002 10:21 am

Good god. To quote a band with slightly less punk rock cred than the Icarus Line, "Whatever happened to my rock and roll?"

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Tue Mar 26, 2002 2:08 pm

Sounds like these guys are my new heroes. Someone got a link to an article about it?

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby ryanking » Tue Mar 26, 2002 3:51 pm

buddyhead.com has links to articles, the reaction from a music industry dominated message board (choad fest), and even video of the actual event, at their site.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Mar 26, 2002 4:00 pm

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/145298 ... inic.jhtml

"But the real rock and roll mayhem was provided by Aaron North, guitarist for the Icarus Line. Near the end of the band's set at the Hard Rock Cafe, which followed a blistering performance by At the Drive-In offshoot Sparta, North broke a display case containing a guitar that once belonged to the late Stevie Ray Vaughan and attempted to plug in and play (Click to see the case get smashed). Considering that the name Stevie Ray Vaughan is spoken with the same reverence as God in Austin, the crowd didn't take too kindly to the blasphemous act, and North and singer Joe Cardamone were chased from the stage by security."

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Thu Apr 04, 2002 11:38 am

This is so cool.

Reminds me of the time King Tammy singer/guitarist Chris Simons smashed his guitar at Club Soda in an amazing fury of getting caught up in the moment, then realized what he had done and put his hands on his face as if to say, "Oh fuck! I didn't want to do that."

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:39 am

Giving this a bump, because the original post was five years ago today, and this still encapsulates the spirit of rock and roll better than just about anything anybody's done since then.

Plus, I found footage on YouTube:

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BW1fBeqsn_s" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed>

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:46 am

Bad-fucking-Ass!

Return to “Rants and Raves”