This is not a paid advertisement for SPIN

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

LionIndex
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby LionIndex » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:29 pm

Thinking about it a little more, and to actually quantify the "Spin's just like Blender now" comments, I knew Spin had lost my interest when the major sell point on the cover of every issue is some "TOP 100 FOOS OF BAR!!" list. I think one of the last issues in my subscription was "THE 40 SLEAZIEST MOMENTS OF ROCK!". About a year or so later, Avril Lavigne was on the cover, and then a while after that, the Suicide Girls.

BeaArthur5-49
GLONO Board Playa

Re: This is not a paid advertisement for SPIN

Postby BeaArthur5-49 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:43 pm

Stacey K wrote:Sooo now I'm a stereotypical single girl Living and Loving in the big city (NYC specifically), and it's fantastic.

Stereotypical in that you're like Marlo Thomas in "That Girl"? Or more like "Rhoda"?

Stacey K wrote:No, really, do you guys read SPIN? And if so, what do you think of it?

Funny you should ask. Until this week, the last issue of SPIN I'd read had Big Audio Dynamite on the cover -- what was that, 1989? -- until this week, when I saw the current issue had something on both the Hold Steady and CBGB's. I picked it up, and here's what I found:

A passing, capsule review of "Boys and Girls in America" in a best of '06 round up, and an unsatisfying article in which the Hold Steady's front man, Craig Finn (Boston College '93) made a series of vague, largely unamusing comments about a bunch of current songs. The article/tribute to CBGB's was a very short, inarticulate thing by Legs MacNeil which left me wondering why the mag couldn't have sprung for someone who could WRITE to do the article. (I know, Legs was there from the beginning, blah, blah, blah...Never liked his writing.)

Finished those pieces, flushed, and was done with the mag. I made a mental note to check out the article on Gyspy music at a later time -- I've started to groove on Gogol Bordello -- but I think the Mrs. threw the magazine away.

Stacey K wrote:P.S. And celebrate, because the Artist of the Year is "YOU"!!! And still, you don't deserve another mylar mirror.

Don't be condescending. I'm a high school teacher, not an artist.

Stacey K
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Stacey K » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:54 pm

miss carol wrote:Is Spin mainstream or hip or indie?

I didn't include women because at my store, they don't buy music magazines for themselves. I know because I ask:"Is this for you?" "Oh, no (laughs) its for my (insert male relation here)."

That's funny; my mother buys music mags all the time and I'm sure she says something very similar to that sentence, except it ends with, "for my daughter, who's an only child and I tried to make her enter beauty pageants when she was six. Where did I go wrong?"

The demographic question is a good one, and it frustrates me. You should see how much the staff cares about GOOD music, and how many popped-collar meatheads attend the events. They tried to skew younger for awhile, but now I don't know what's going on. Personally, I don't think teenage music fans, especially if they're taken with the fad bands on the cover (!!Ohmigawd it's the Killers!!), are a dependable base that will subscribe or be enthusiastic. It's a quick solution to go for the flash in the pan. And kids today can't read anyway. Also, the editors should bring back Sean Landers.

So I'm not sure who's reading, either, though the GloNoid base seems less than inclined!

P.S. Heya, Chris G! Nope, there's no Theresa K in me....

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:02 pm

Not to hijack the thread, but us Big-Applers (including the surrounding area) should gather for a GloNo conference somewhere in Gotham.

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby thinsafetypin » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:32 pm

i'll be the lone voice of dissent. i got a free subscription to spin about a year ago, and have been really surprised how much i've enjoyed it. while there are definitely mags that have content i'm more interested in (magnet and the big takeover are my mags of choice content-wise), spin is generally a fun read and actually seems to have some decent opinions on stuff. one thing i think i'd like to see is more variety of artists covered. it seems every issue has some sort of article about panic! at the disco and gnarls barkley. also, occasionally i feel pandered to by some of the things that aim toward those of lower intelligence. (is it just me, or are the "ask the editor" letters totally made up?) the article in the last one about hip kids music was a nice tip of the hat to us non-party people. i definitely DEFINITELY disagree with the "worse than rolling stone" comments. i've only read a couple issues of RS, but the ones i've seen have been about 85% advertising and 15% terrible fashion/music mag.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:43 pm

Yeah, Spin was the shit back in the 80's, but now they're irrelevant. I completely agree with Jake's assessment - mostly boring.

Still, it would be a pretty good gig to work for them.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:04 pm

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:I completely agree with Jake's assessment - mostly boring.

I was talking about music journalism in general, not just Spin, which I admitted I haven't really read recently.

Nicolson
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Nicolson » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:55 pm

I read Spin occassionally, just to see what bands the kids are listening to...and then I get annoyed with it and don't bother with it for several months, because it's not really saying anything new.

The best thing I've seen in Spin in the last couple of years? A teeny tiny little piece on sending Ted Leo out to busk the worst rock songs of all time (including "We Built this City").

Now *that* was funny and original--too bad it only got, like 3 in. of space.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:56 pm

Stacey K wrote:
That's funny; my mother buys music mags all the time and I'm sure she says something very similar to that sentence, except it ends with, "for my daughter, who's an only child and I tried to make her enter beauty pageants when she was six. Where did I go wrong?"

The demographic question is a good one, and it frustrates me. You should see how much the staff cares about GOOD music, and how many popped-collar meatheads attend the events. They tried to skew younger for awhile, but now I don't know what's going on. Personally, I don't think teenage music fans, especially if they're taken with the fad bands on the cover (!!Ohmigawd it's the Killers!!), are a dependable base that will subscribe or be enthusiastic. It's a quick solution to go for the flash in the pan. And kids today can't read anyway. Also, the editors should bring back Sean Landers.

So I'm not sure who's reading, either, though the GloNoid base seems less than inclined!

P.S. Heya, Chris G! Nope, there's no Theresa K in me....

I wouldn't right off kids just yet. They read, they just don't read magazines. Publishers of teen offshoots of adult mags are learning this (see Mediabistro from a few months back). They engage with online sources of "information."

I just visited the website (I'll look at the mag later today). There should be more context, be it social or political. More meat, as it were, but not a replica of HuffPo or NYT or any of that "grown up" stuff. I think that's makes RS more readable than Spin. You just have to skew it to the age. A good example is Bust (which I stopped reading years ago). Publisher (?) Debbie Stoller managed to mix feminist politics with fun and hip content...and pulled potential readership from the uptight, priggish and inflexible MS. Bust's readership is quite loyal, though I don't know the numbers. Yes, it's a niche-market magazine, but it's gaining readership by not looking and reading like a typical woman's magazine (i.e., Elle or O). If Spin looked and read less like a lad rag (i.e., smarter and hipper), perhaps people would buy it. It shouldn't look like a website.

I'll try to remember to do my own little non-scientfic exit poll with customers: "Do you read Spin? What do you like about the mag you bought? How would it compare?" That sort of thing; the most questions I can ask while ringing in the purchase. Now you've got me thinking...not always a good thing. :)

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:42 pm

I just finished SPIN's 20 Years of Alternative Music book, which was a pretty good read, but I'm not really down with the mag.

They do/did use Chuck Klosterman and Dave Eggers, though, which I think is pretty rad.

Return to “Rants and Raves”