RIP Sneaky Pete

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

RIP Sneaky Pete

Postby trainwreck2 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:48 am

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/0 ... index.html
"Sneaky" Pete Kleinow (b. August 20, 1934 in South Bend, Indiana) is an American country-rock musician, songwriter, and a motion picture special effects artist.
Before his musical career, Kleinow originally worked as a special effects artist and stop motion animator for movies and television, including the Gumby, and Outer Limits TV series, as well as classic cult movies such as 7 Faces of Dr. Lao and The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm. At night, Kleinow would frequently sit in with Bakersfield Sound-oriented combos and early country-rock aggregations playing the pedal steel guitar; through this scene he became acquainted with Chris Hillman and Gram Parsons of the Byrds, helping the group to replicate their newly country oriented sound onstage with banjoist Doug Dillard. After leaving the Byrds in 1968, Parsons and Hillman invited Kleinow to join their new band, the Flying Burrito Brothers. Subsequently, Kleinow left behind his career in visual effects and spent the next thirteen years as a professional musician.

As one of the first pedal steel players to work in a rock context, incorporating liberal use of electronic innovations like the fuzzbox and backwards recording techniques. As such, Kleinow's style of playing was immediately influential upon second-generation players such as Jerry Garcia and Buddy Cage of the New Riders of the Purple Sage and sessionman Al Perkins.

Since 1981, he once again focused on creating special effects for movies such as The Empire Strikes Back, Gremlins, The Right Stuff, The Terminator, and Terminator 2 while continuing to work sporadically as a professional musician.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:26 am

Wow. Sad news. My love for the pedal steel can ultimately be traced back to Sneaky Pete, for sure.

There is some awesome footage of Pete in that Gram Parsons documentary when the Burritos were on their train trek across America, all of them tripping balls the entire time. Pete's the best.

His contributions to It's a Shame about Ray give that album a lot of its depth.
Last edited by Jake on Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:34 am

Some hot Burrito flavor:

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/p/E8BC06E1B04B1204" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="530" height="370"></embed>

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:35 pm

Pete and Red Rhodes(Michael Nesmiths player who passed a few years ago) as well as Santo Farina from Santo and Johnny are best i think

Jake wrote:Wow. Sad news. My love for the pedal steel can ultimately be traced back to Sneaky Pete, for sure.

There is some awesome footage of Pete in that Gram Parsons documentary when the Burritos were on their train trek across America, all of them tripping balls the entire time. Pete's the best.

His contributions to It's a Shame about Ray give that album a lot of its depth.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:51 pm

trainwreck2 wrote:Santo Farina from Santo and Johnny are best i think

I had always assumed that was a lap steep. But now that I think of it, I'm not really sure the difference. Anybody able to elaborate?

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dAk_0N85wNk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed>

This is awesome. But what's he doing with his right hand? Volume?

(By the way, "Sleepwalk" was the song we had our first bridal party dance to at our wedding. Just before that, "Can't Help Falling in Love" by Elvis was the bride and groom's first dance.)

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:00 pm

jake,
A lap steel is just a simple block design that sits on the player's lap while he picks and slides. A pedal steel has a series of pedals underneath that allow the player to adjust the hold of notes, bends and sometimes volume. Is that what you're asking about?

In that clip, he's making slight volume and tone adjustments just like a six string player often does. Some guys (like Johnny Marr) have their gear CRANKED and then make slight volume adjustments as they play to control the sustain and tone of notes. Hence, Marr's use of a rubberband on his knobs for a better grip.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:14 pm

Yeah, that's what's I'm asking. Thanks. That's a crazy fucking contraption old Santo's playing though. Three necks with 8 strings on each! According to Wikipedia, "He experimented with the additional two strings until he came up with tunings that appealed to him." Nuts.

Little Timmy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Little Timmy » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:01 pm

Another couple of my favorite steel players: Ademola Adepoju (King Sunny Ade and his African Beats) and Jon Rauhouse (Neko Case and her Boyfriends, etc.).

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:27 pm

for modern dont forget Friends Of Dean Martinez's Bill Elm and Calexico/Lambchop player Paul Niehaus, keep an eye out for Gary Newcomb from Austin's Lil Capn Travis too...
Little Timmy wrote:Another couple of my favorite steel players: Ademola Adepoju (King Sunny Ade and his African Beats) and Jon Rauhouse (Neko Case and her Boyfriends, etc.).

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:31 pm

Any list of great steel players can't leave out Daniel Lanois. His pedal steel will give you chills.

Return to “Rants and Raves”