Apple iPhone

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Apple iPhone

Postby Jake » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:05 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070109/ap_ ... e_macworld

The phones, which will operate exclusively on AT&T Inc.'s Cingular wireless network, will start shipping in June. A 4-gigabyte model will cost $499, while an 8-gigabyte iPhone will be $599, Jobs said.

IPhone is less than a half-inch thin — less than almost any phone on the market today. It comes with a 2-megapixel digital camera built into the back, as well as a slot for headphones and a SIM card.

In a demonstration Tuesday, Jobs slid his finger across the display to reveal a home screen and then scrolled through a list of songs.

To make a call, users can tap out the number on an onscreen keypad or scroll through their contacts and dial with a single touch.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/01/09 ... /index.php

The 11.6-millimeter thick device also sports a 2-megapixel camera, headset jack, 3.5-millimeter audio jack, SIM tray, a “sleep-wake” switch, speaker, microphone input and an iPod dock connector. The quad-band GSM + EDGE phone also has Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 2.0 capabilities. Jobs noted 3G capabilities will come in the future.

Three smart sensors also help control the iPhone’s behavior. A proximity sensor shuts down the display and touchscreen when the phone is held to the ear. An ambient light sensor automatically adjusts screen brightness to save power. Meanwhile, an accelerometer lets the phone know whether to display in portrait or landscape mode.

Despite the phone’s revolutionary features, Jobs claimed that the phone’s strongest feature was its redefinition of how calls are made.

“We want to reinvent the phone,” Jobs said. “What’s the killer app? The killer app is making calls! It’s amazing how hard it is to make calls on phones. We want you to use contacts like never before.”

A Visual Voicemail feature allows users to skip directly to voice mails they want to hear. An easy-to-use conference call feature lets users connect two calls with one touch of the screen. Text messaging on the iPhone is similar to iChat, user dialogue is encased in bubbles, and a touch keyboard appears below.

The iPhone uses its Wi-Fi and EDGE capabilities to automatically connect to the Internet. Internet connectivity includes HTML-capable email that works with any IMAP or POP-based email service. Jobs also announced that Yahoo! will offer for free push-IMAP email—similar to the email system on a Blackberry—to iPhone customers.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:27 pm

Holy cow, this looks dope.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:38 pm

Technology is really starting to scare me.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:04 pm

Phuck - wonder if this a sneak peek at the future iPod? Already I want an widescreen iPod, wether it makes phone calls or not.

Plus, the little sucker runs OSX?! WTF? A full version or stripped-down?

I agree - this is pretty dope.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:05 pm

I am not paying $600 for any phone that doesn't give me head.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:12 pm

D. Phillips wrote:I am not paying $600 for any phone that doesn't give me head.

I could not think of a better way to put it than that.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:20 pm

And that's with a 2-year contract! The standalone price must be a few hundred more than that, right?

I paid $649 for my laptop, and that's basically what this thing is... Except tiny...and magic!

But let's see. People pay $249.00 for an 8GB Nano, which this would render unnecessary. To add all the bitchin' phone/email/Wifi stuff it's an extra $350. Is it worth it? Probably not for the first generation iPhones. But by the third-gen, the price will probably have dropped and hopefully the inevitable bugs will get worked out.

Still, no head. However, if this thing is as cool as it looks, you're basically getting a magic little computer in your pocket. A single device that replaces two separate ones. Three if you carry around a laptop to check your email and stuff...

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:29 pm

Magic or no, I am still paying $600 for a phone. And if you think the iPod is glitchy just wait until this little monster crashes with all your shit on it. There will be blood in the streets!

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:31 pm

Jake wrote:Still, no head.

That's the deal-breaker.

Seriously, I'll wait (like you said) for the third-gen models and pick one up. But that widescreen iPod will do me just fine in the meantime....

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:51 pm

Oh my god, too fucking funny. And I completely agree.

Return to “Rants and Raves”