Apple iPhone

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:47 am

Chris G wrote:Yes, um, but isn't the operative phrase, "No phone" ?

No phone yet. They're working on it, and it will certainly be cracked.

That said, I think it's still a good value even without the phone. An iPod with which one can check GLONO, post comments, and send email? I hate talking on the phone and try to avoid it as much as possible. The phone is the part of the iPhone that I (personally) would use the least.

MF
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby MF » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:08 pm

Here's a cool iPhone alternative:
http://daddytypes.com/2007/07/04/my_mom ... iphone.php

As iPhones aren't available in Canada (and my wife is one heckuva knitter) this may be as close as I get.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:55 am

Gizmodo's review: Wait until Apple updates the software.

The real elephant in the room is the fact that I just spent $600 on my iPhone and it can't do some crucial functions that even $50 handsets can. I'm talking about MMS. Video recording. Custom ringtones. Mass storage. Fully functioning Bluetooth with stereo audio streaming. Voice dialing when you're using a car kit. Sending contact info to other people. Instant friggin' messenging. Sending an SMS to more than one recipient at a time.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:54 pm

Done. NJ teen unlocks iPhone from AT&T network.

The hack, which Hotz posted Thursday to his blog, is complicated and requires skill with both soldering and software. It takes him about two hours to perform. Since the details are public, it seems likely that a small industry may spring up to buy U.S. iPhones, unlock them and send them overseas.

[...]

There is apparently no U.S. law against unlocking cell phones. Last year, the Library of Congress specifically excluded cell-phone unlocking from coverage under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

Kids these days, I tell ya.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tvJ1RGlxe8Q" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed>

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:05 pm

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:33 pm

Jake wrote:Do you think they're going to make a separate, non-phone widescreen iPod? If so, how much will you be willing to pay for it?

Yes. $299 for 8GB, $399 for 16GB. With Wi-Fi. Dope.

Guess I'm going to have to build the iPhone-optimized version of GLONO after all.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:18 pm

that's rather high isn't it? especially the 16g with wi-fi. unless the wifi is better than the zune's you're not getting much of a deal with this new ipod.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:27 pm

grounded5am wrote:unless the wifi is better than the zune's you're not getting much of a deal with this new ipod.

What's a zune?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:34 pm

grounded5am wrote:unless the wifi is better than the zune's you're not getting much of a deal with this new ipod.

I can't believe I'm even bothering. But. Can you read Glorious Noise on your Zune? Enough said.

Also, the iPod touch has flash memory, i.e., no moving parts and no hard drive, so the battery lasts 22 hours. How long does your Zune last?

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:36 am

no i can't, but then i don't want to. i use my zune for music and videos mostly. but yeah i see where the new ipod will be better than the zune in terms of what it's offering in wi-fi capabilities. it's a shame you have to sacrafice gig space for it. it's cool though. i like the look of the new ipods. i have to give them that. they do make nice looking products. who knows? i'm even tempted by the new look and designs.

Return to “Rants and Raves”