Long time listener, first time caller

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

mojo172

Long time listener, first time caller

Postby mojo172 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:39 am

I know introduction threads are commonly frowned upon as far as internet communities go, but I felt like it was about time I made my presence somewhat known. After a few random replies here and there, I just wanted to officially say hello to everyone. I'm Joe C. and I hope to be a contributing part of this great community you guys have going.

To give this thread some purpose, state your favorite album of the year so far. Mine has to be the new Apostle of Hustle- The National Anthem of Nowhere. It's stunning.

How is everybody?

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:09 am

Welcome!

I haven't got a favourite 2007 yet: I've started my 33 1/3 project whereby I buy the CD and read the book. So far I've read/heard Love's Forever Changes by Andrew Hultkrans and The Smith's Meat is Murder by Joe Pernice.

And I'm coughing up a damm lung. Bah.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:09 am

miss carol wrote:Welcome!

I haven't got a favourite 2007 yet: I've started my 33 1/3 project whereby I buy the CD and read the book. So far I've read/heard Love's Forever Changes by Andrew Hultkrans and The Smith's Meat is Murder by Joe Pernice.

Get well soon and what'd you think of the books?

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:13 am

miss carol wrote:I haven't got a favourite 2007 yet: I've started my 33 1/3 project whereby I buy the CD and read the book. So far I've read/heard Love's Forever Changes by Andrew Hultkrans and The Smith's Meat is Murder by Joe Pernice.

My lung is being coughed up as well...
And that Pernice book is pretty good.
I got went to get the 331/3 edition of Bowie's Low and they didn't have it or any of the other editions. How was the one on Love?
And welcome mojo...I think the last introduction thread one these boards turned out to be a spammer who did a proper introduction and then edited it a few days later to push penis pills.
So I'll ask the obvious: Are you cool?

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:49 am

Anyone read the 33 1/3 book on Pet Sounds? That's the one I wanna check out. I haven't read any of them, but Forever Changes rules.

As for 2007, my favorite so far is the new Shins. But there's going to be a lot of great albums coming out this year.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:04 pm

I'm trying to read them "in order," which translates into what I have in stock at my store. After which, I'll order them from the publisher.

The Love book was odd; Hultkrans overreached a lot in his attempts to interpret the prophetic themes of Forever Changes. It's really hard to do in a mere 100+ pages of a small-format book and so it came off as disjointed. However, I did learn some stuff and was directed to some good books on the Sixties.

The Pernice book (the only fiction) is good. The first time, I read the library's copy, which made me curious about the album (and gave me the idea for the project). Indeed, I told the record-store guy about it and how I couldn't get into the Smiths in high school. What's funny is how much of the album I absorbed through osmosis at the time.

I don't need no steeekin' spammer for my pills. I just need a antibiotics jockey. Minus 8 degrees C is too cold for this sicky....
Last edited by miss carol on Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:13 pm

Welcome, MOJO. And we fully encourage intro threads here, unless you're selling boner medicine. Scotty has that market cornered.

beginthebegin
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby beginthebegin » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:54 pm

Tom4 wrote:Anyone read the 33 1/3 book on Pet Sounds? That's the one I wanna check out. I haven't read any of them, but Forever Changes rules.

Pet Sounds is the best of the 33 1/3 series that I've read so far, and I've read about 8 of them. Really well written -- it deeply examines not only the brilliance of the arrangements on the album, but how pure an emotional expression the songs are. Definitely gave me a newfound appreciation of an album I already loved.

The one on Murmur is pretty great, too -- it spends a chapter talking about the recording techniques used in making the album, which is interesting. Ultimately it examines the album (and especially the lyrics) as a sort of deconstructionist take on language and meaning.

mojo172

Postby mojo172 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:15 pm

worpswede wrote:So I'll ask the obvious: Are you cool?

No penis pills here, I promise! So if that's the only criteria, I'm as cool as they come.

As for the 33 1/3 books, I'm obsessed with the one on In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, mostly because I had a special fascination with the album which lead me to the book. I thought it was a brief but important history of the band and explored the themes and vibe of the album pretty damn well for only 100 pages or so.

stickman45
Cocksmith

Postby stickman45 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:27 pm

[quote="mojo172"]

No penis pills here, I promise! So if that's the only criteria, I'm as cool as they come.

You are dead to me.

As dead as my useless phallus.

Return to “Rants and Raves”