rbally

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

rbally

Postby amighty » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:54 pm

Any of you kids ever hit up rbally.net? Well, too late I guess, because it looks like the Bostonian has finally shut down his bootleg-posting music blog.

There's not much more than a cryptic message on the site now, but I gather that Matador had a problem with a Cat Power show he posted a couple of weeks ago. (Great show, actually - she does a cover of Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy"). Weird, because he's been borderline obsessed with her for ever since I've been checking it out, with a Cat Power show or two a month, and there was never any other problem.

He was always considerate about pulling tracks when requested, and last year there was some crazy shit with a Neko Case show that I know he got in a bit of trouble for, but he pulled it a apologized relentlessly.

Anyway, over the last year, the guy has been a real resource and posted some awesome shows - A killer Jesus and Mary Chain black sessions bootleg, an incredible Lou Reed show from 1973, an Awesome J Mascis show from 2004, a couple of REM, Big Star, Wilco, Ryan Adams, Jenny Lewis, and even a Black Rebel Motrcycle club set.

Never posted a single studio track as far as I can remember, just whole sets for people who love music that would most likely never be able to hear it any other way.

It's a shame to see the site go, but he does seem to have a passion for it and will maybe make it back. But if you missed the version of "Sister Ray" on "Lou Reed: Out Of The Underground" set you are really not psyched right now. It's downright funky.

cat153
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby cat153 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:15 pm

Yes, it's a great site and it will be missed. I'm hoping he's gonna change his mind about shutting down. A few months back he said the same thing...too much crap and too little time.

He also posted a ton of wilco/tweedy shows, a good sonic youth, ottis redding, james brown, and many many more.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:44 pm

Godddamnit fuckers.
It's your job to let the audio parasites on these boards to know about such things before the site is shut down!
That Reed boot sounds fucking awesome.

johnhl
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby johnhl » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:52 pm

I think I got there from a link on the GloNo front page to a Tom Waits show from 1975, or have I completely lost it? Really sad to see the site go away.

cat153
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby cat153 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:17 pm

I'd mentioned the site on more than one occasion. Aquarium Drunkard is another site that posts solid shows in their entirety. However, there is not another site like bRally (at least that I am aware of) and sadly, it's gonna be gone.

As an aside, i was the person who requested an early era GBV show and he promises to post the remaining 30 songs b4 he closes up for good so i would def be on the lookout for that.

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:45 pm

Site currently reads.

rbally will be back later this week with the Jayhawks and the rest of that GBV show.

And then, that's it for the site . . . thanks to everyone who stopped by and supported rbally.

The Cat Power nonsense convinced me it's time to move on . . . and as I mentioned to Heather, maybe I'll return with something small and quiet . . . .

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:28 pm

That message has been up there for a while

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby thinsafetypin » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:37 am

if you're looking for ryan adams live sets, the archive has over 80 of them, including this dynamite one with the cardinals from last year.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:14 pm

Another reason why I believe Cat Power is overrated.

thousandfold
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby thousandfold » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:25 pm

thinsafetypin wrote:if you're looking for ryan adams live sets, the archive has over 80 of them, including this dynamite one with the cardinals from last year.

Oh, you mean one before he "got a bug in Japan" and cancelled the rest of the damn tour?? (Sorry, I guess I'm still bitter...)

Return to “Rants and Raves”