movies

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Mick
GLONO Board Playa

Postby Mick » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:06 pm

miss carol wrote:
[quote="Mick"]Will Oldham has a fairly long rap sheet as far as movies go, including Junebug, which I read about but didn't interest me. Anyone seen it?

Junebug is a very good movie, see it.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:20 pm

I had an old thread about this same topic. And I still stand by my Weird Al Yankovic pick.

Since then, Mos Def was really good in "Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy," which other than that was real piece of crap.

Dwight Yoakam in Wedding Crashers was kind of cool. So was Mick Jagger in Freejack (Just kidding).

Second to Ice Cube. Friday is a classic: "You better put some water on that damn shit!"

Speaking of this, did anybody catch Calexico's part in that Tom Cruise movie Collateral? Actually a really good movie, and that's a pretty cool cameo. As for the whole actors-turned-singers topic, ie Jamie Foxx, that's another thread completely.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:38 pm

Tom4 wrote:Bowie rules in The Labrynth.

True story, forgive me if I've already told it:
A few years ago I went to see Bowie in concert and was, obviously, pretty excited about it. I took my enthusiasm to my girlfriend who allowed me to piss all over myself before asking "What song does he do?"
She acknowledged hearing his name, but couldn't identify a song that he did.
It wasn't until, after several minutes of disbelief and rattling off song titles that I name-checked Labrynth and then her eyes lit up as she finally knew who the fuck I was talking about.

BloodshotBaby
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby BloodshotBaby » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:17 pm

russ wrote:Don't forget Bowie in 'THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH' and 'THE HUNGER'

have yet to see those...can't find them in southern illinois for some reason. (netflix, here i come!)

madonna was pretty good in 'a league of their own'.

BloodshotBaby
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby BloodshotBaby » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:19 pm

worpswede wrote:True story, forgive me if I've already told it:
A few years ago I went to see Bowie in concert and was, obviously, pretty excited about it. I took my enthusiasm to my girlfriend who allowed me to piss all over myself before asking "What song does he do?"
She acknowledged hearing his name, but couldn't identify a song that he did.
It wasn't until, after several minutes of disbelief and rattling off song titles that I name-checked Labrynth and then her eyes lit up as she finally knew who the fuck I was talking about.

i assume you dumped her at this point? she didn't even recognize 'ziggy stardust' or 'space oddity'?? (well, 'space oddity'...most people i know don't even know the name of that song...but they'd know it if they heard it.)

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:46 pm

BloodshotBaby wrote:i assume you dumped her at this point? she didn't even recognize 'ziggy stardust' or 'space oddity'?? (well, 'space oddity'...most people i know don't even know the name of that song...but they'd know it if they heard it.)

Nope. She's still around. The issue was discussed in theLove The Boy/Girl...Hate Their Music thread and I grew not to worry about such musical deficiencies.
She tolerates my obsessiveness and allows me to stay up and write about such stupid topics like Spacemen 3 when it's clear she really wants me to go to bed.
She travels with me to Cat Power shows, spots Chan, and encourages me to go up and talk to her, without giving me too much grief that there are more jpegs of Ms. Marshall than of her on my laptop.
She listens to my mix-cds with an open ear, can sing the songs, without knowing (or caring) about the artist, title, or who played rhythm guitar on the track.
She understood that we absolutely needing to leave her Mother's birthday dinner in time for us to see the episode with Bowie on "Extras."
She's carrying my baby and wearing the ring I gave her over the holidays.
She bought me Low for Christmas.
She reminded me that I needed to buy Wincing The Night Away yesterday because I told her a week ago that it would be released on the 23rd.
She's a keeper.

BloodshotBaby
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby BloodshotBaby » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:49 pm

aw...ok, that's actually kinda sickeningly sweet. (especially the part about cat power.)

i was kinda kidding anyway. i've never been in a relationship where i shared more than the beatles with my boyfriend (0 for 2 i guess...3rd time's the charm...)

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:30 pm

Worps, I know from experience that even you both have awesome record collections and similar tastes in music, you can still be doomed. So, good luck to you both...and congrats on BabyWorps (ahem, with whom you may still stand a chance...hee hee)

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:32 am

miss carol wrote:and congrats on BabyWorps

Baby Worps is a great band name.

Wasn't Johnny Cash in a movie many years back?

Also, Dylan is a terrible actor.

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:32 am

BloodshotBaby wrote:
have yet to see those...can't find them in southern illinois for some reason. (netflix, here i come!)

madonna was pretty good in 'a league of their own'.

Oh my Lordy-Loo!
You haven't seen THE HUNGER?
Don't wait for Netflix....go to Amazon.com and buy it!
Straight Away!!!!
Its a must own if you like Vampires, David Bowie, Catherine Denueve & Susan Sarandon Lesbian action, and has the best use of Bahaus song "Bela Lugosi Is Dead" ever put to film.

Return to “Rants and Raves”