8 Songs Left...

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

johnhl
GLONO Board Pimp

8 Songs Left...

Postby johnhl » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:32 pm

I have 8 songs left in my emusic free trial. I can't think of any 8 song albums that I want, and I'm stumped. Does anyone want to recommend stuff for me to burn through what's left of my free trial? Here's my Last.fm profile if you're willing.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:48 pm

Doyagot Dream Syndicate's The Medicine Show yet?
That's a good 8-track album that's in line with yer profile.

johnhl
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby johnhl » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:01 pm

Sadly, Medicine Show hasn't made it to cd even in ages. It's been rumored to be re-released for a long time but not yet. There are a couple of $85 used copies on Amazon--unbelievable!

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby thinsafetypin » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:18 pm

i'm not sure if you already have this or not, but if you don't... run, don't walk to get it:

iron & wine / calexico - in the reins

Baltimucho
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Baltimucho » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:34 pm

That's a (admittedly minor) complaint I have about emusic -- after years and years of buying nothing but albums, I hate having to take just a few songs from an album. I know, in theory it's quite easy to download the remaining tracks the next month, but I always forget.

Anyway Old 97's Early Tracks is exactly 8 songs and a great glimpse of things to come from that band.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:23 pm

johnhl wrote:Sadly, Medicine Show hasn't made it to cd even in ages. It's been rumored to be re-released for a long time but not yet. There are a couple of $85 used copies on Amazon--unbelievable!

You're fucking kidding me! I didn't research the recommendation, obviously, I just remembered that you liked Steve Wynn and that Medicine Show clocked in at 8 tracks.
I didn't like it initially, preferring the stellar Days Of Wine And Roses instead. But then I left the cassette of Medicine Show in my car and was forced to spin it. It ended up getting played repeatedly...the elixir of Wynn's take on Crazy Horse finally sunk in.
If you were to ask me today what my favorite Dream Syndicate album was, it'd be a toss up between those two, admittedly very different, releases.

johnhl
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby johnhl » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:07 pm

worpswede wrote:I didn't like it initially, preferring the stellar Days Of Wine And Roses instead. But then I left the cassette of Medicine Show in my car and was forced to spin it. It ended up getting played repeatedly...the elixir of Wynn's take on Crazy Horse finally sunk in.

My response when it came out was pretty similar to yours. It sounded over-produced and reeked of major label debut, but those great, dark lyrics grew on me. Seeing them open for R.E.M. didn't hurt either. One of these days plug the computer into the stereo and burn it to cd. Have you checked out any of his solo stuff? The last 3 are amazing.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:23 pm

johnhl wrote:Have you checked out any of his solo stuff? The last 3 are amazing.

I remember liking Kerosene Man and playing it when I worked for a public radio station. I'll confess to losing track after that. I've noticed the last few Wynn efforts have gotten some good reviews and ...Tick...Tick...Tick still remains on my purchase list a year after it was released.

Maarten
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Maarten » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:39 am

thinsafetypin wrote:i'm not sure if you already have this or not, but if you don't... run, don't walk to get it:

iron & wine / calexico - in the reins

very beautiful indeed!

Return to “Rants and Raves”