The Cure vs. The Smiths

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

The Cure vs. The Smiths

The Cure
21%
The Smiths
46%
They're equally great for different reasons
29%
I'm an ignoramus like you Jim, i.e. I don't know
4%

Total votes: 24

michaelvincent
GLONO Board Playa

Postby michaelvincent » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:28 pm

Is this like the indie rock version of the Mac vs. PC debate?

BloodshotBaby
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby BloodshotBaby » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:17 pm

this reminds me of the 'REM' v 'U2' rivalry that i am far too young to remember.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:45 pm

BloodshotBaby wrote:this reminds me of the 'REM' v 'U2' rivalry that i am far too young to remember.

Give me R.E.M. every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:26 am

Tom4 wrote:
worpswede wrote:Being born in '82 makes it hard to appreciate them, methinks, just like when I went "So what?" to the kid that came to the playground in '77 to announce that Elvis died.

I was born in '83 and I appreciate them both. The Cure moreso, as previously stated.

Damn you guys are making me feel old.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:29 am

Chris G wrote:.Damn you guys are making me feel old..

I get that a lot.

It's a young man's world.

Lurker01
Resident troll

Postby Lurker01 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:31 am

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:I always wonder if The Beatles would have ended up like that, irrelevent, if they'd continued cranking out records?

You mean they didn't?

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:53 am

Chris G wrote:Damn you guys are making me feel old.

I'm older than you.
But thanks for the complement.
And speaking of old: they're running a Cure concert on Directv from '05. Overweight men in their late 40's who wear eyeliner and lipstick isn't a good look.

BloodshotBaby
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby BloodshotBaby » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:30 pm

Chris G wrote:.

Damn you guys are making me feel old.

sorry, but it's my job. ;)

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:59 pm

n8 wrote:
well, for the record:
1) I hate U2, except maybe Joshua Tree. I couldn't listen to How To Dismantle if you paid me. Well, that depends. How much are you willing to pay?
2) I only like "Mint Car," not the record its on.
3) Never said that song had any influence whatsoever. That doesn't stop it from being perfect pop. And there's nothing wrong with that. I also like Len's "Steal My Sunshine." Anyone wanna lambast me for that?

I'm not arguing that it's not an entertaining tune. Far from it. In fact, I own most of the Cure's later work. My wife keeps jamming The Cure into my car's CD changer, while I'm still hooked on the Acustic side of Greatest Hits.

But how many kids cut themselves after listening to 17 Seconds? How many after downloading Mint Car form iTunes? I waited in line overnight to get tickets to their show in Detroit back in the late 80s. I knew a dude who threatened to kill himself if the tickets were gone before he made it to the counter. (yeah, no internet then...you hand to wait in line.) I don't think anyone is going to end themeselves over The Cure today.

I'm trying to pinpoint the year they peaked as a force in the alterna-scene. That's all.

I think DM really didn't top out until a couple of years later. I've had the argument in the past that Music for the Masses was their best work. But today when I listen to Violator I think that 91 was their peak. Whether it was the relationships between Alan and the rest of the band, or Dave's smack habit, nothing after that seemed as impressive.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:29 pm

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:I think DM really didn't top out until a couple of years later. I've had the argument in the past that Music for the Masses was their best work. But today when I listen to Violator I think that 91 was their peak. Whether it was the relationships between Alan and the rest of the band, or Dave's smack habit, nothing after that seemed as impressive.

I absolutely hated Depeche Commode back in the day. Being a truly fanatic Smiths disciple, I detested anything with synthesizers (including the Cure post-Boys Don't Cry). Obviously, in the 1980s this limited my musical palette a bit, ha ha. But last year after seeing a video on VH1 Classic's "The Alternative," I downloaded both DM singles comps. Those fags made some spooky and interesting sounds! It's still not exactly my cup of tea, but every once in a while, it's fun to listen to something that sounds so dehumanizing.

Return to “Rants and Raves”