didja see prince tear it the hell down?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:07 pm

BloodshotBaby wrote:i'm so happy glono is here...because i was starting to think that i was crazy with all of my peers telling me that prince was lame. you guys remind me that i am right about music.

Prince is not lame. He's made some career missteps, and his latest stuff might not rank up there with his greatest stuff, but he deserves to be the legend that he is. He seems to be managing his legacy appropriately -- i.e., willing to give the mainstreamers what they want to hear without killing off his continuing creativity in the process.

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby thinsafetypin » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:23 pm

wow wow wow. i didn't see it yesterday (i just assumed the halftime show would suck as it has just about every year) but after watching that youtube link, i am almost immediately converted to a prince fan.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:08 pm

BloodshotBaby wrote:all of my peers telling me that prince was lame.

I'm struggling with this. What do they think is lame about him? I am hard pressed to identify anything about his halftime performance that qualifies as lame.
Did they think the show last night was lame or do they just not like Prince at all? Out of curiosity, What music do they think isn't lame?

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby thinsafetypin » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:14 pm

as one that hasn't been a fan of prince until today, i can say it's probably just that he's an oddity. i mean, i have plenty of musical oddities that i'm comfortable with, but for some reason, i just didn't "get" prince until i saw that performance. granted, i hadn't tried too hard (mainly just heard singles here & there on the radio) even as liberated as i'd like to think my musical tastes are, i had a hard time understanding what was so great about him. most people take longer to warm up to music than we nerds at glono, so i would imagine it would take more than one white-hot superbowl halftime show for most people to change their preconceived notions about him. or maybe they're just in the closet and he makes them uncomfortable ;)

LionIndex
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby LionIndex » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:01 pm

worpswede wrote:I'm struggling with this. What do they think is lame about him? I am hard pressed to identify anything about his halftime performance that qualifies as lame.
Did they think the show last night was lame or do they just not like Prince at all? Out of curiosity, What music do they think isn't lame?

My assumption was that they'd think he's lame for the same reason that a lot of people think the Stones are lame. They're kind of yesterday's news, haven't really done anything interesting or noteworthy in a years, and seem like the kind of artists your parents would like or something. One ex-gf of mine was a HUGE fan of the Black Crowes, but would not even try to listen to the Stones. Not even Exile or Sticky Fingers, which are almost the entire basis for the Crowes' sound. At that point, the Stones were a bunch of cheezy old white arena rockers in her mind, and not the least bit interesting.

In other words, I think this kind of thing can basically be reduced to the phrase "uninformed opinions".

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:08 pm

thinsafetypin wrote:most people take longer to warm up to music than we nerds at glono, so i would imagine it would take more than one white-hot superbowl halftime show for most people to change their preconceived notions about him.

Here's more proof of Prince's awesomeness:

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ILDGkKqFLoI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed>

If you're getting bored, feel free to skip ahead to about 3:30 when Prince begins his solo, and laugh in amusement to watch Tom Petty try to take back the song while His Purple Badness refuses to stop tearing apart his guitar for the next three minutes. Dani Harrison is cracking up in the background as Prince goes fucking apeshit. It's totally awesome.

Eddie Hazel would be proud.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:21 pm

Prince is a phenomenal performer/dancer/producer/arranger/band leader. I don't know who else can touch him.

But I don't think he's that great a songwriter; maybe that's why some folks find him "lame."

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:36 pm

Jake wrote:Here's more proof of Prince's awesomeness:

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ILDGkKqFLoI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed>

If you're getting bored, feel free to skip ahead to about 3:30 when Prince begins his solo, and laugh in amusement to watch Tom Petty try to take back the song while His Purple Badness refuses to stop tearing apart his guitar for the next three minutes. Dani Harrison is cracking up in the background as Prince goes fucking apeshit. It's totally awesome.

Eddie Hazel would be proud.

Holy shit. That is one of the hottest things I've ever seen. Anybody still on the fence should watch that clip. You have no SOUL if you're not converted.

BloodshotBaby
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby BloodshotBaby » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:40 pm

LionIndex wrote:
My assumption was that they'd think he's lame for the same reason that a lot of people think the Stones are lame. They're kind of yesterday's news, haven't really done anything interesting or noteworthy in a years, and seem like the kind of artists your parents would like or something. One ex-gf of mine was a HUGE fan of the Black Crowes, but would not even try to listen to the Stones. Not even Exile or Sticky Fingers, which are almost the entire basis for the Crowes' sound. At that point, the Stones were a bunch of cheezy old white arena rockers in her mind, and not the least bit interesting.

In other words, I think this kind of thing can basically be reduced to the phrase "uninformed opinions".

that, that's pretty much it. they know very little about him. i'll admit that i'm not super informed myself, but i know that he's written some of the greatest pop songs ever, and made some big hits for people...and that he's a kickass performer.

the one thing i've learned over the years is that it's dumb to judge things without at least trying to understand them first.

i'm just glad that one of my friends, who was soooooooooooooooooo excited about the new bon jovi album, wasn't there. i don't even want to know what she would have had to say.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:45 pm

BloodshotBaby wrote:
i'm just glad that one of my friends, who was soooooooooooooooooo excited about the new bon jovi album, wasn't there. i don't even want to know what she would have had to say.

Oh Rosie, get out of central Illinois as soon as you can.

Return to “Rants and Raves”