didja see prince tear it the hell down?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

BloodshotBaby
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby BloodshotBaby » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:47 pm

D. Phillips wrote:
Oh Rosie, get out of central Illinois as soon as you can.

central? bah, that would be a dream...i'm in SOUTHERN illinois!

i'm coming home in 2 months, d...don't worry!

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:00 pm

D. Phillips wrote:
Oh Rosie, get out of central Illinois as soon as you can.

..but don't come to New Jersey, where Bon Jovi is as culturally relevant and adored as The Sopranos, full-serve only gas stations and bagels. Seriously, they LOVE him here.

I cannot spend a single night out no matter where I go (rock bars, dance bars, cover bands) without hearing Bon Jovi. It's awful.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:06 pm

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:
Anybody else think it was weird to see him at the Super Bowl? I was totally freaked out. Prince and football?

At first but then it dawned on me. The decision was probably made to appeal to successful black professionals 30 to 50 years old.
And what's the percentage of women who watch the super bowl? At least 40 percent. Add in a certain percentage of educated white males who like Prince and maybe it wasn't such a crazy move.
Cadillac was a major sponsor if I remember correctly.
The brand is very popular with upscale african americans.
The sought after demographics are cetainly changing.

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:13 pm

Everything you mentioned is probably true, but you may be thinking about it a little too much - I have a feeling it was more of a mutually beneficial marketing move. Prince was awesome last season on American Idol, and I thought that was a stranger combination.

He's probably still trying to sell his latest album and just generally be a superstar.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:20 pm

amighty wrote:Everything you mentioned is probably true, but you may be thinking about it a little too much - I have a feeling it was more of a mutually beneficial marketing move. Prince was awesome last season on American Idol, and I thought that was a stranger combination.

He's probably still trying to sell his latest album and just generally be a superstar.

That and he's a Jehovah's Witness, so no "wardrobe malfunctions." Recall the NFL likes to appear Christian.

I didn't see the game and I can't see the YouTube clip.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:16 pm

amighty wrote:- I have a feeling it was more of a mutually beneficial marketing move. .

The theory hit me while watching Pardon The Interruption on ESPN with Chicago sports reporter Mike Wilbon. Wilbon is financially well off, black and in his 40's. He kept professing his love for Prince having seen him a dozen times. Although most Americans in Wilbon's demographic have much less glamourous jobs, the common denominator is the fond memories that come from retro acts like Prince.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:34 pm

amighty wrote:He's probably still trying to sell his latest album and just generally be a superstar.

Did he play anything off his latest album?

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Postby hebrew hammer » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:35 pm

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:
Anybody else think it was weird to see him at the Super Bowl? I was totally freaked out. Prince and football?

I know! Everyone knows that Prince is a basketball man. Just ask Charlie Murphy.

I actually missed the halftime show, but watched on YouTube. Quite excellent.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:50 am

Jake wrote:Here's more proof of Prince's awesomeness:

I dig that God damn rock and roll!

I've never seen that clip before; Prince is now the only guitarist allowed to ever do a solo for that song.

Extra bonus points - he didn't totally clobber the song with his solo. It fit in perfectly - stopping just this side of too much.

I think it's time for a major Prince re-assesment.

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:13 am

Jake wrote:Did he play anything off his latest album?

I thought maybe that last number he did was a new song, I had to do a few other things and wasn't paying attention to it.

I still thought his appearance on American Idol was stranger than his appearance at the Superbowl. Did you all hear about the house he's renting from some athlete? The guy was upset because Prince (who is paying him $70K a month) painted the pool purple and mounted a huge prince-symbol on the wall.

Return to “Rants and Raves”