scott walker- the drift

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Lout Jim

scott walker- the drift

Postby Lout Jim » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:53 am

all of the critics seem to have salivated over this album. has anyone here given it a listen?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:13 am

The one song I heard from it was unlistenable.

MP3: Scott Walker - Cossacks Are (Via Ampcamp)

I fear that this is another one of those albums, like Joanna Newsom and Deerhoof, that is weird but not good. And everybody's afraid to seem like they don't "get it" when really, come on, what's there to get? It just sounds bad.

cat153
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby cat153 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:08 pm

i have to agree. i downloaded it from emusic and listened to it once. it's dark, spacey, and purposely frightening sounding. I can understand it's purpose and why those who really are into avant garde music would appreciate it, but it's certainly not an album that i think is 'enjoyable' or 'listenable'...and note this is coming from someone who actually likes deerhoof.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:36 pm

And I like, and admire, but would never recommend (thanks to her voice) Joanna Newsom (my little daughter being a harpist may have a lot to do with this). I also have a few Scott Walker records. His recent career is definitely freaky and pretty much unlistenable. But one thing the two have in common, despite their dubious listenability, is a unique and fully-fledged vision for their music and a meticulous sense of craft.

Walker from the 60s, when he was moving from a Righteous Brothers' type style to a more experimental, is pretty compelling (though please listen before leaping). Very unique...somewhere between a Lee Hazelwood in terms of crazy orchestration and Leonard Cohen-esque epic poetry. Even so, they're not records I would reach for too often. His newer stuff really belongs closer to (whacked out) modern vocal art music than any rock-related thing.

Lout Jim

Postby Lout Jim » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:21 am

thanks for the mp3 link. i found the song intriguing, though the vocals seemed to be verging on comically melodramatic. the problem i have is a distinct and definite weakness for weirdness, which makes it difficult to sift through those things that are weird for weird's sake and those things that are genuinely unique and valuable. and that often leaves me relying on the often questionable opinions of tastemakers. but perhaps i'll give the album a try.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:43 am

Sounds like some of that NO WAVE stuff(Theoretical Girls) that I never heard of until the documentary Punk:Attitude.
No matter how weird something is it's still derivative most of the time.
I criticized Punk:Attitude here the first time I saw it for being run-of-the-mill but now I still watch it every time it's on IFC.
By the way if you never get sick of run-of-the-mill Johnny Rotten interviews(which I don't) "Never Mind The Bullocks" is being featured on VH-One Classic's segment series of "albums that were important enough to deserve an hour's worth of discussion or some other shit like that."

Lout Jim

Postby Lout Jim » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:07 pm

"Never Mind The Bullocks" is being featured on VH-One Classic's segment series of "albums that were important enough to deserve an hour's worth of discussion or some other shit like that."

so what other albums deserve an hour's discussion according to vh1? just curious

Lout Jim

Postby Lout Jim » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:10 pm

t's dark, spacey, and purposely frightening sounding. I can understand it's purpose

what do you understand it's purpose as? i'm not trying to be an smart ass, i just wonder what you meant

cat153
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby cat153 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:24 am

I really was talking about the avant garde in music there. Generally, avant garde art keeps its status by making people seek it out rather than inviting them in to a comfortable setting.

in my opinion, it's the effort to listen to, appreciate, and ultimately 'hear' music that is different that separates the casual listener from the more serious.

i can appreciate and understand what's going on with an artist or album from the standpoint of art or of what is being communicated while at the same time still not enjoy it or even like it. a good example might be jandek.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:31 am

I'd never listened to him before. I quite liked "Cossacks Are," so I youtubed him. Other more recent stuff I found rather dull (which is worse than strange) and I didn't like the 60s stuff at all (watered-down versions of better music - the soul/pop, folk/pop and chanson française/pop).

So here's the result of my 15 minutes of research: For Euro 60s, there's no reason to listen to the Walker Bros when you can lsten to Dusty Springfield and Jacques Brel. For his recent stuff, even the bits I liked I can live without.

Return to “Rants and Raves”