I Don't Care How Uncool This Is....

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

I Don't Care How Uncool This Is....

Post by Tom4 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:07 pm

Soundgarden rules. Fact.

I'm holding out hope for a reunion tour now that Audioslave is done.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:34 pm

count me in. i always liked soundgarden when i was in high school. i've also liked chris cornell too. looking forward to his new cd. he was better by himself then when he was with audioslave.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Sugarcubes Forever » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:00 pm

Spoonman jumped the shark......

Sorry, but it's true. I will pretend they are still broken-up.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Post by D. Phillips » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:08 pm

Stirring the pot here but I see almost no difference between Sound Garden and the shit metal bands who screamed and jumped around just a couple short years before the Seattle explosion. No thanks!

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Tom4 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:42 pm

D. Phillips wrote:Stirring the pot here but I see almost no difference between Sound Garden and the shit metal bands who screamed and jumped around just a couple short years before the Seattle explosion. No thanks!
I was hoping someone would stir the pot. The way I hear it, they WERE one of those bands before the Seattle explosion. They were Led Zeppelin mixed with Black Sabbath, which has never been my cup of tea.

But I think Superunknown and Down On The Upside are both filled with great songwriting, more so on Upside. They moved away from the heavy riffing and started displaying some serious musicianship. Cornell continued that progression on Euphoria Morning (curious to hear your opinions on that, as well). Granted, the Seattle explosion happened at the same time my first formative musical era occurred, so they were one of the first bands I loved at age 10 or so, but I'm surprised how well they stand up now to my ears.

I'd recommend listening to Down On The Upside ("Tighter & Tighter," "Zero Chance," "Switch Opens" specifically) if you haven't heard it in full. And I'm curious as to your thoughts on Cornell's solo album (I hope his new one, which comes out in the coming months, is as good).

cat153
GLONO Board Pimp

Post by cat153 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:45 pm

give me Nirvana, Mudhoney, or even the Screaming Trees over Soundgarden any day. I don't dislike em, but they certainly never really thought they were great. Now, where's my Singles soundtrack...

cat153
GLONO Board Pimp

Post by cat153 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:46 pm

I can't type or edit today...the above should have read...I never really thought they were great. Sorry.

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by thinsafetypin » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:50 pm

i owned superunknown and badmotorfinger at one time (and even saw them live once at the "metal" lollapalooza [i always justify this to myself in that i got to see devo and the ramones there, even if devo was kinda disappointing in that setting]), but now agree with derek. i don't even have a nostalgic attachment to soundgarden anymore. and yes, spoonman was a ridiculous song.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Post by D. Phillips » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:04 pm

Tom4 wrote:
I was hoping someone would stir the pot. The way I hear it, they WERE one of those bands before the Seattle explosion. They were Led Zeppelin mixed with Black Sabbath, which has never been my cup of tea.

But I think Superunknown and Down On The Upside are both filled with great songwriting, more so on Upside. They moved away from the heavy riffing and started displaying some serious musicianship. Cornell continued that progression on Euphoria Morning (curious to hear your opinions on that, as well). Granted, the Seattle explosion happened at the same time my first formative musical era occurred, so they were one of the first bands I loved at age 10 or so, but I'm surprised how well they stand up now to my ears.

I'd recommend listening to Down On The Upside ("Tighter & Tighter," "Zero Chance," "Switch Opens" specifically) if you haven't heard it in full. And I'm curious as to your thoughts on Cornell's solo album (I hope his new one, which comes out in the coming months, is as good).
I would but I can't stand Cornell's voice. Not one bit. He's Don Dokken with a flannel shirt on.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Sugarcubes Forever » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:12 pm

D. Phillips wrote:
I would but I can't stand Cornell's voice. Not one bit. He's Don Dokken with a flannel shirt on.
Please, don't insult Don Dokken like that.