Why you can't get good beer in Chicago.

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Why you can't get good beer in Chicago.

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:45 am

Anybody wonder why you can't buy Bells Beer in Chicago anymore?

http://www.chicagoreader.com/features/stories/bells/

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:59 am

Yeah, it's been a while now. It really sucks because you could find Bells on tap in pretty much every cool bar in Chicago. Basically, any bar that had good beer on draft had at least one tap for Bells. Percentage-wise, I'd guess Bells was in more bars in Chicago than in Michigan. But not anymore.

It bums me out for sure, but it's a pretty tiny inconvenience in the grand scheme of Illinois corruption. If I were going to get involved, I would much rather spend my energy getting the fuckers to stop fucking with the El and to figure out how to fix the fucking roads without stopping traffic for 5 years at a stretch.

I really love this city, but lately, every time I need to get from point A to point B, I want to blow my head off or move somewhere else.

I don't mind corruption as long as it doesn't affect me. But I just wish they'd have the decency to hire somewhat competent people to run the department of transporation and the CTA instead of hiring their wive's half-bright cousins to do it. Is that too much to ask?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:03 am

PS - And to address the title of this thread: you can still get plenty of good beer in Chicago.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:07 am

Jake wrote:PS - And to address the title of this thread: you can still get plenty of good beer in Chicago.

I know. But this is the internet. You need a hook to bring them in.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:13 pm

Jake wrote:I just wish they'd have the decency to hire somewhat competent people to run the department of transporation and the CTA instead of hiring their wive's half-bright cousins to do it. Is that too much to ask?

Yes! Hello? You're supposed to be supporting a class of people hereditarily entitled to your money! What makes you think you can "ask" anything? Who's your daddy?

That sucks big about Bells. I noticed the same thing when my favorite Polish beer disappeared from the shelves in my stores.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:05 pm

You can get Turbo Dog at the Davis Street Fish Market in Evanston.

That's all I got...

Nicolson
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Nicolson » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:22 pm

Jake wrote:If I were going to get involved, I would much rather spend my energy getting the fuckers to stop fucking with the El and to figure out how to fix the fucking roads without stopping traffic for 5 years at a stretch.

Seriously. Took me two fuckin' hours to get from Wicker Park to Rogers Park on the Blue and Red lines the other night. CTA is run by a bunch of asshats.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:00 pm

Nicolson wrote:
Seriously. Took me two fuckin' hours to get from Wicker Park to Rogers Park on the Blue and Red lines the other night. CTA is run by a bunch of asshats.

My commute this morning (Lincoln Square to downtown) was almost 1 1/2 hours. Supposed to get much worse in April. Fuck that.

Who's down with starting a compound in the woods? We'll need carpenters, electricians, cooks, and brewers. I will provide the entertainment.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:18 pm

D. Phillips wrote:
My commute this morning (Lincoln Square to downtown) was almost 1 1/2 hours. Supposed to get much worse in April. Fuck that.

Who's down with starting a compound in the woods? We'll need carpenters, electricians, cooks, and brewers. I will provide the entertainment.

Move back to Bland Crapids, it's like living in the Woods.....except with good beer on tap.

Mick
GLONO Board Playa

Postby Mick » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:42 pm

the reason why bell's is out of chicago is basically that chicago's main distributer (chicago liquors i believe) wanted to only carry the amber and oberon in the chicago area (including liqour and grocery stores) and that the bell family wanted all of their beers available throughout the city. blah, blah, blah... no more bell's for awhile until they can reach an agreement, at least another year...bummer... no oberon this summer.

luckly chicago does have plenty of good beer still available. stop by the hopleaf in andersonville, best selection in town.

Return to “Rants and Raves”