New Wilco - Sky Blues Sky

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:35 am

steve-o wrote:And wait a minute, Jake, are you even a Radiohead fan to begin with? I seem to remember you saying you really are kind of ambivalent about them.

I'm totally ambivalent about them. But I own and appreciate Kid A. I never listen to it, but when I do, it makes me feel like I'm on drugs. Which is a compliment. And I've been very impressed by them when I've seen them live on TV (especially that one SNL).

But I'll be the first to admit that I haven't given their catalog the attention it probably warrants.

That said, I thought that even big fans felt that releasing both Kid A and Amnesiac (so close together) was a bit, um, much... No?

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:41 am

Jake wrote:That said, I thought that even big fans felt that releasing both Kid A and Amnesiac (so close together) was a bit, um, much... No?

I don't think so. Amnesiac was a product of the Kid A sessions (despite the band claiming stridently that it's not a "b-sides album"). Why stretch out the time between releases? A little over a year is appropriate for releasing a supplement or accompanying album. Any longer and it could have been mistaken for a proper follow-up.

By the way, "Idioteque" is just about perfect.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:46 am

Jake wrote:So you're counting both Kid A and Amnesiac as great albums? When's the last time you listened to either of them?

When going thru the obligatory splittin' up the music during the divorce, I purposely put Amnesiac in her pile while Kid A wound up in mine.
I hardly ever listened to Amnesiac and might have listened to it more had it not been released so close to Kid A.
Are they great albums?
Kid A, yes.
Amnesiac, I dunno. Ask the ex-wife. And then run away.

cat153
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby cat153 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:21 pm

So did anyone listen to the free stream of the Wilco cd? I didn't but am interested in opinions if anyone listened and/or has heard the cd.

Oh, and as for the six in a row question...besides Elvis Costello, who I suggested earlier, Tom Waits came to mind. Short on time but i'll go back and list the cd's a bit later.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:58 pm

That said, I thought that even big fans felt that releasing both Kid A and Amnesiac (so close together) was a bit, um, much... No?

Hey, I know Radiohead "fans" who won't listen to anything past The Bends. But whatever, they're loss.

But that's the thing about Radiohead, they can release an album like Amnesiac and it's not a bunch of just throwaway tracks. Hell, even most of their b-sides could hold their own against album tracks. It just shows to me that Radiohead has been consistently strong throughout their entire career.

Another good one I thought of was Nick Cave. 1990's The Good Son was kind of spotty (despite some of his best songs being on there), but from 1992 it was:

92- Henry's Dream
94- Let Love In
96- Murder Ballads
97- The Boatman's Call
01- No More Shall We Part
03- Nocturama
04- Abbattoir Blue/ Lyre of Orpheus

Not a bad lineup at all.

BloodshotBaby
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby BloodshotBaby » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:15 pm

figures. we start a thread about wilco and we wind up arguing about radiohead.

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby thinsafetypin » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:24 pm

the 'fork has a new sky blue sky track on the cast.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:30 pm

cat153 wrote:So did anyone listen to the free stream of the Wilco cd? I didn't but am interested in opinions if anyone listened and/or has heard the cd.

I listened. I thought it was above average, pleasant, nothing spectacular. It's your standard folk/rock/blues hybrid. Not entirely lite, although never ass-kicking. But after one listen I enjoyed it.

It sounds like White Album and Let it Be-era at some points from what I could gather, with Tweedy's typically defeated vocal stylings. I guess it's along the lines of Summerteeth, as it's pretty traditional, but it's a little blander.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:42 pm

thinsafetypin wrote:the 'fork has a new sky blue sky track on the cast.

Working link.

Re: webcast. I listened. Not too intently though. Sounded like nice, pleasant yacht rock. DP and ours fams were hanging out, listening to the internet on a Saturday night at 10pm, drunkenly trying to keep my overtired infant from screaming. That's how we roll.

I have a feeling this will be a fine album for chilling around the barbecue this summer.
Last edited by Jake on Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby thinsafetypin » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:48 pm

Jake wrote:Working link

why you gotta bust my balls, jake? :)

Return to “Rants and Raves”