The M's are coming:

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 27, 2002 2:20 pm

Everyone should check out The M's at Schuba's in Chicago on Wednesday, April 3rd. They will be opening up for Frisbie, who I haven't heard, but who have been playing out in Chicago quite a bit lately. The M's are a pop group, like pop that happened before pop and rock and roll were two different things. They will be playing at 10pm. Also they will be playing live on WHPK "Pure Hype" (88.5, University of Chicago) on Friday April 5th at 9 pm and playing in Kalamazoo at The Space on Friday, April 19th. In case you haven't guessed I am in the band, but I am not embarrassed by self promotion.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Wed Mar 27, 2002 3:28 pm

As long as you admit it. We support promotion of shows here at GLONO.

How are things at the Space. Is it a worthwhile alternative to Soda--for bands that is?

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 28, 2002 3:47 pm

I haven't played the space yet, but if club soda is the only option in kalamazoo, i'd rather just keep driving or else stay in chicago. The M's played at Harvey's one week before the leppetone Karaoke machine (i think it was just before Thanksgiving), and that is the last time we've been there. Matt Dorbin is the guy who books at the space. I don't actually know his contact info. The Afflictions from here in Chicago are playing there the week before the M's are, and I've heard good things about it. It isn't a bar, so that could be viewed as negative, but we'll just get drunk somewhere else and then go there.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Thu Mar 28, 2002 4:30 pm

Any word on whether Harvey's is going to reopen? I hear rumors about them losing their liquor license but no confirmation. Anyone?

That's not the same Affliction who used to play Kalamazoo in '96, is it?

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby ryanking » Thu Mar 28, 2002 6:06 pm

Derek, I haven't heard anything about Harvey's but I would favor the Space now just because they do it for the music. That Matt Dorbin guy is great and he gets good music to come to Kalamazoo. I think he's bringing the Greenhornes in there real soon. I just got the Live at WIDR CD of Goldstar (the Leppotone Karaoke Machine guys) from Matt Dorbin's Scratch and Sniff Entertainment website. Or at least I think it's Matt Dorbin's website. Affliction unfortunately is still around; they became Small Craft Sighting and their CDs were inexplicably for sale at Michigan Fest last weekend. On the other hand, Frisbie is a lot of fun. They sound and look just like Pezband from the late 1970s. Very unpretentious unadulterated get-down have-fun power pop with some chops. They and the Waxwings opened up for Matthew Sweet when I saw him last and I actually liked Frisbie better than Waxwings, not like I expected.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Mar 28, 2002 8:51 pm

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 29, 2002 8:14 pm

There is a big difference between the Afflictions and Affliction.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Apr 01, 2002 12:35 pm

That's what I was wondering. What are the Afflictions all about? Sounds garage.

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 01, 2002 4:09 pm

The Afflictions are a great garage band. they have a keyboard player, guitar player and a saxaphone player (Kelly Argyle). and a singer who is unafraid to put it out there. I enjoy watching them.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Apr 01, 2002 4:56 pm

Ah ha! The Argyle connection. I should have known ther'd be a Leppotone link!

Return to “Rants and Raves”