Boston singer dead

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Boston singer dead

Postby Jake » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:56 am

Brad Delp, 55, Lead Singer for Boston, Dies

Mr. Delp’s vocals, overdubbed into group harmonies and grand chorales for songs like “More Than a Feeling,” were a vital ingredient in the sound of Boston, a band whose multilayered tracks were created in the studio by its guitarist, keyboardist, songwriter and producer, Tom Scholz. Boston’s elaborate songs were ubiquitous on radio stations during the 1970s, and its 1976 debut album, “Boston,” largely recorded in Mr. Scholz’s basement, has sold more than 17 million copies in the United States.

[...]

“The nice thing about Brad,” Mr. Scholz said in a 1986 interview with Musician magazine, “was his incredible ability in the studio. He was a master at controlling his voice — he could do things over and over, changing one note and doing everything else the same. He’s a natural overdubber, he can perfectly match what’s on tape, he can sing harmonies with himself and keep dozens of parts in his mind.”

Mr. Delp’s stacked vocal tracks, from earnest tenor to wailing falsetto, were so central to the music that in Boston’s first management and recording contracts, Mr. Scholz and Mr. Delp were the only official members of the band; Barry Goudreau on guitar, Fran Sheehan on bass and Sib Hashian on drums were soon added. Mr. Scholz wrote all the songs on Boston’s debut except “Smokin’,” written with Mr. Delp, and “Let Me Take You Home Tonight,” credited to Mr. Delp alone.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:02 am

The Associated Press reported that a police spokesman said Mr. Delp apparently died alone and that there was no indication of foul play.

Music aside, that's quite sad.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:14 am

The nice thing about Brad,” Mr. Scholz said in a 1986 interview with Musician magazine, “was his incredible ability in the studio. He was a master at controlling his voice — he could do things over and over, changing one note and doing everything else the same. He’s a natural overdubber, he can perfectly match what’s on tape, he can sing harmonies with himself and keep dozens of parts in his mind.”

And now any schlub with a bootleg copy of ProTools can do the same thing...say what you will about Boston's music (and I'm big enough to admit I like some of it), at least they had some skills.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:47 am

Hater beware, Jake and I have fond memories set to a soundtrack thick with Bosotn's music.

More than a Feeling? Hell yes.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:06 pm

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:
And now any schlub with a bootleg copy of ProTools can do the same thing...say what you will about Boston's music (and I'm big enough to admit I like some of it), at least they had some skills.

Agreed.
Their first album was so note-perfect that everything else they did was compared to it and, inevitably fell short.
True story: a rock radio station that I worked for in the mid-80's received the promo copy of "Amanda," the lead-off single for Third Stage before it was released. The program director put a big sticker on the cover informing the airshift that they could only play it once during their shift. They barely monitored the playlist and they were afraid that the airstaff would play the piss out of it because it had been so long since Don't Look Back.
Honestly, when most people heard it for the first time, it lacked the intensity of more "rockin'" Boston, and there was little chance of us wearing it out.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:39 pm

D. Phillips wrote:Hater beware, Jake and I have fond memories set to a soundtrack thick with Bosotn's music.

More than a Feeling? Hell yes.

Hater? Not moi. Sick of 25+ years of 'More Than A Feeling'? Yes, I'll admit it. Seriously, they are just a tiny notch below Journey in their mastery of hi-octane lite power-pop. They simply couldn't match Perry's output.

Cheap Trick are still the kings of power pop overall, but neither Journey nor Boston stand comparison there because of the Trick's edginess and angst. Cheap Trick was not about positive feelings like the big chart-toppers of the day were.

Amazing, too, that in an era when Violent Femmes sell Taco Bell and Nirvana shills for a baseball videogame, I can't remember a single instance of Boston's music being used for an ad. I could be wrong, though.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:35 pm

I think you're right, Shecks. Initially, I thought their song was used in an SUV ad, but that was Kansas's "Dust In The Wind" (oh the irony). I've always considered the likes of Boston, Kansas, and Journey singles bands despite their perceived marketing as album oriented.

Beluga

Postby Beluga » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:53 pm

Was Delp our Freddie Mercury? Tom Scholz was America's Brian May.

Billy Corgan was of course able to track more guitars per song than Scholz & May combined but did not invent anything like the Rockman, or kickassedly mod the venerable Vox AC30.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:47 pm

Beluga wrote:Was Delp our Freddie Mercury? Tom Scholz was America's Brian May.

Actually, that's a pretty good comparison! While Delp wasn't as flamboyant and Scholz puttered around the studio like a three-toed sloth, I can see where you're going with it.
When the Rockman was introduced, a collective "fuckin' cool" circled around the guitar brethren like a fast burning joint.
Dibs on the album title EZ Wider, btw.

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:22 pm

'Peace Of Mind' is being used in a tv commercial for some sort of heavy duty laptop, I forget what brand....I love the first BOSTON cd.

Return to “Rants and Raves”