The 2007 Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame Thread

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac
Posts: 1792
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:43 pm
Location: (((IOWA)))

The 2007 Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame Thread

Postby worpswede » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:11 am

Didjya see it? Are you pissed? Were you teary-eyed that Keith Richards had some kind of fungal infection on his face before you realized that it was a work-in-progress mustache?
I comment on this year's controversy hereand add my obligatory insomnia-fueled thoughts, which led to the inevitable question:
What bands/artists that aren't in the Rock Hall yet, should be?
Be realistic with your list (as much as I'd love to see The Fall in there, I understand that it ain't gonna happen in Cleveland) and try to keep it to five (the number inducted this year).
Explain your choices and feel free to challenge others in their nominees.
In case you've forgotten who's already in, check it here.
Dipshit wrote:• Kiss-Look, I can’t begrudge the literally thousands of motherfucking bands that were influenced by these assclowns. So let ‘em in and give Gene and Paul a reason to suck some more cash out of their moronic “army” in the guise of another farewell tour.
• Alice Cooper-And don’t forget to bring the surviving members of the original band, you right-wing motherfucker.
• The Stooges-Duh.
• Rush-The Hall could placate both the progressive rock contingency and the metalheads in one fell swoop with this one.
• Joy Division-Goth began here and there hasn’t been a band more black since.

Jake
GLONO Team Member
Posts: 7238
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: Michigan

Postby Jake » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:57 am

After reading this, I've decided to boycott everything having to do with the Hall Of Shame.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac
Posts: 4113
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 10:39 am
Location: Toronto

Postby miss carol » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:05 am

From what I can see of the list, the Hall can gaze no further than its navel and barely deeper than the main. Glad to see the Clash and the Pistols, but that's pretty fucking obvious. Despite my sceptisim about the legitimacy of the place, I'll play:

1) I can see Dipshit's point about Joy Division, but I'll go one step further and suggest Factory's Tony Wilson.

2) CBGB's Hilly Krystal.

3) Guitarist Scotty Moore

4) Atlantic's Ahmet Ertegun

5) Quincy Jones

6) Burt Bacharach

7) Nick Lowe

8) Steve Albini, just to piss him off

That is all for now.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac
Posts: 1461
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:15 am
Location: Not quite close enough to say Chicago

Postby Barabajagal » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:35 am

Until someone explains to me the continued cultural relevance of Pearl Jam I can't play.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac
Posts: 4113
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 10:39 am
Location: Toronto

Postby miss carol » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:20 am

Patti Smith writes about the award. And so, as her self-appointed proxy, I'll add Fred Sonic Smith to the list.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac
Posts: 1792
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:43 pm
Location: (((IOWA)))

Postby worpswede » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:53 am

Jake wrote:After reading this, I've decided to boycott everything having to do with the Hall Of Shame.

They eventually allowed him to sing with Velvet Revolver. But thankfully, Roth still had enough marbles left to decline. Their performance of "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" was pathetic. Which I enjoyed from a "that'll teach 'em" perspective.
Leftsez also complained about Patti Smith being inducted. Maybe he was one of those lobbying for the fucking Dave Clark Five.
Barabajagal wrote:Until someone explains to me the continued cultural relevance of Pearl Jam I can't play.

Um....ah....He played on Neil Young's Mirror Ball. That was a pretty good album. Please come out and play now! I saw "Zodiac" the other day and thought of you!
Miss Carol wrote:Patti Smith writes about the award. And so, as her self-appointed proxy, I'll add Fred Sonic Smith to the list."

She talked about him during her acceptance speech. She said they got into a fight about it in the kitchen, when Fred complained that Patti would get in to the Rock Hall before he would. It pissed him off because he felt his band (MC5) was better than hers.
The others in your list look pretty good, but I want to pick a fight with you for Bacharach.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac
Posts: 4113
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 10:39 am
Location: Toronto

Postby miss carol » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:27 pm

worpswede wrote:She talked about him during her acceptance speech. She said they got into a fight about it in the kitchen, when Fred complained that Patti would get in to the Rock Hall before he would. It pissed him off because he felt his band (MC5) was better than hers.
The others in your list look pretty good, but I want to pick a fight with you for Bacharach.


If they can have Costello, Goffin and King, Leiber and Stoller, they can have Bacharach. Dion and Dusty Springfield are fucking there. Brill Building pop music should be fully represented. Heck, an argument could be made for Neil Sedaka, but won't see me making it.

Also, add Kris Kristofferson, or however you spell his name. Are the Bee Gees there? Add them too.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac
Posts: 1792
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:43 pm
Location: (((IOWA)))

Postby worpswede » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:59 pm

miss carol wrote:If they can have Costello, Goffin and King, Leiber and Stoller, they can have Bacharach. Dion and Dusty Springfield are fucking there. Brill Building pop music should be fully represented. Heck, an argument could be made for Neil Sedaka, but won't see me making it.

Also, add Kris Kristofferson, or however you spell his name. Are the Bee Gees there? Add them too.

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
Yeah but none of those artists wrote the theme from Arthur. And any composer that is aligned with such garbage like Christopher Cross should be automatically disqualified.
Aside from some rock acts that have covered Bacharach (Love, The White Stripes, The Beatles and a....that's about it, actually) his primary role has been in the world of pop, and with some very non-rocking acts, I might add.
Brill should be in, and maybe Dusty for Memphis. But I don't care what Lou Reed says, I don't get why Dion is in there.
Bee Gees I'll leave it up to others. I can appreciate their early material to some extent, but I'm fairly undecided about them being inducted.
Kris Kristofferson is one of the most overrated songwriters ever. He's in the Country Music Hall of Fame and the Songwriters Hall of Fame already. Let him stay there.

Jake
GLONO Team Member
Posts: 7238
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: Michigan

Postby Jake » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:33 pm

worpswede wrote:Kris Kristofferson is one of the most overrated songwriters ever.

"Sunday Morning Comin' Down" might very well be the best song ever.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac
Posts: 4113
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 10:39 am
Location: Toronto

Postby miss carol » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:46 pm

worpswede wrote:FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
Yeah but none of those artists wrote the theme from Arthur. And any composer that is aligned with such garbage like Christopher Cross should be automatically disqualified.
Aside from some rock acts that have covered Bacharach (Love, The White Stripes, The Beatles and a....that's about it, actually) his primary role has been in the world of pop, and with some very non-rocking acts, I might add.
Brill should be in, and maybe Dusty for Memphis. But I don't care what Lou Reed says, I don't get why Dion is in there.
Bee Gees I'll leave it up to others. I can appreciate their early material to some extent, but I'm fairly undecided about them being inducted.
Kris Kristofferson is one of the most overrated songwriters ever. He's in the Country Music Hall of Fame and the Songwriters Hall of Fame already. Let him stay there.


Egads, "rock" has jackshit to do with who gets inducted. Review the list again, my friend. Influence and endurance, I think, have more of a bearing. And while you're at it, take a look at the definition of "pop" : Van Halen will fit squarely in that definition.

Thank you, Jake. I completely agree, as did Hall of Famer and country (non-rock) artist, Johnny Cash.


Return to “Rants and Raves”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest