Love at first listen...

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Charli
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Charli » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:50 pm

hebrew hammer wrote:Just today, I listened to Feist's new one for the first time and fell in love with it.

I just heard her for the first time a couple weeks ago, or rather some songs off Let It Die, I fell madly in love with her voice and songs. Now I want that album and her new one.

I wish I had heard her earlier.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:24 pm

Oh man, I'll have to think about that one...good question. One that did come to mind was Television's "Marquee Moon". I saw it on a Rolling Stone best of list and thought it sounded pretty different from anything I'd heard before, and went looking for it.

Living in Dallas in the 80s, it took a little while to find it...but when I finally did and listened to it, I think the hair stood up on the back of my neck.

Another example is YHF. Usually I'm a mass consumer of CDs and listen to them non-stop for a couple of weeks and then drop them. But I think YHF lasted me for a year. At least.

Oh heck, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea just came to mind too.

You get the picture.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:37 pm

hebrew hammer wrote:Just today, I listened to Feist's new one for the first time and fell in love with it.

That's a great album. I fell in love with it instantly (as I do with a lot of albums, actually). Actually, on first listen I find myself "falling in love" with lots of stuff, because I have the first (and sometimes strongest) emotional reaction to it.

The albums in my list were the long-lasting loves, the ones that I still take time out of my day to call and check up on or think of. Not the floozies who stuck around for a few months and then lost their appeal (even somewhat). Those five albums I listed, I love as much (if not more) than I did when I first heard them/fell in love with them.

cat153
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby cat153 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:43 pm

GBV alien lanes

Prince 1999 and Dirty Mind

REM life's rich pageant

The Smiths s/t

Bob Dylan Blood on the Tracks

Neil Young Live Rust

The Clash London Calling and s/t

Elvis Costello Get Happy

I could go on and on but those are some of the ones that popped up on first thought.

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Postby hebrew hammer » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:08 pm

Charli wrote:
I just heard her for the first time a couple weeks ago, or rather some songs off Let It Die, I fell madly in love with her voice and songs. Now I want that album and her new one.

I wish I had heard her earlier.

Me too. I didn't ever get Let It Die, but I listened to a handful of songs. I decided to get the new one based on the positive reviews that have been trickling in. I really need to gt Let it ie. Her voice is really engaging, and the whole CD is proof of Canada's musical superiority over...everyone. Best CD of the first quarter of the year.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:26 pm

hebrew hammer wrote:
Me too. I didn't ever get Let It Die, but I listened to a handful of songs. I decided to get the new one based on the positive reviews that have been trickling in. I really need to gt Let it ie. Her voice is really engaging, and the whole CD is proof of Canada's musical superiority over...everyone. Best CD of the first quarter of the year.

I agree that it's the best album of the year so far. As much as I've loved Let it Die, I didn't think it was possible to love Feist anymore, The Reminder is like 100x better.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:41 pm

Liz Phair's Exile in Guyville: This record literally floored me when it came out--I lay on the floor and absorbed it. I loved the variety, the uniqueness of the vision, the spareness of the sound and the idiosyncracy of her singing & guitar playing. A band I was in was recording with her producer in the same studio around the same time (as were tons of groups then), so I had met her & heard a couple tracks from the master tape--they were good but didn't really give the big picture--but after I finally heard the record, I became almost intimidated in that studio. One of those great 90s records.

Wrens, Meadowlands
Fountains of Wayne, Utopia Parkway

I just remember getting these records before starting big home construction/painting projects and listening to them over and over and over from the start. I guess when it's time to get handy, I go all-out "New Jersey." Maybe I'll listen to the new Arcade Fire for my next one--closest thing to Springsteen out there. Ho!

GBV, Alien Lanes Had a job where I could wear headphones and just dove into this record and didn't come out until I knew all the words. Or thought I did.

Beatles, Monkees, Beach Boys--anything I heard as a kid by these groups mandated immediate obsession and commandeering of the family stereo console.

Weezer, Pinkerton--the Second Coming. Heard it once when it came out, dismissed it as not up to Blue Album snuff. Put it on in 2003 after reading about it here at GloNo, and I may as well have been sitting in the chair with my hair blowing back like that one commercial. Another 90s icon, fucking brilliant.

Olivia Tremor Control, Dusk at Cubist Castle
Neutral Milk Hotel, On Avery Island

It's corny but I can't put this any other way: simply two records that meant I was not alone in the world, when I thought I was way too old (29?) to think such things. Last time I got that feeling was with R.E.M. in college (though not on first listen. I had to get over thinking they were "hicks," just as a year later I would have to get over the Smiths being "gay.")

Not to mention all the records I first heard in, ahem, "altered states." That'd be a whole 'nother thread.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:11 pm

Those of you on the board who know my musical tastes are gonna roll your eyes at some of my selections, but for me, the following albums produced an immediately positive and visceral reaction out of me the first time I heard them. Not even Elvis Costello can do that for me, but these did the trick:

Big Star, #1 Record/Radio City
My buddy and I had a long-standing Christmas tradition of going to Rolling Stones in Norridge and buying each other the CD of our choice. I know how stupid it sounds (we were just buying ourselves a CD, right?), but for two equally obsessed-for-music dudes such as ourselves, we didn't sweat the small details like that; we just bought the other guy the disc, said Merry Christmas, and enjoyed the discs in the car of whoever was driving that night. My choice in '92 was this amazing two-fer. I'd heard the Posies' version of "Feel" on the b-side of "Suddenly Mary", then heard the original in 2nd Hand Tunes Evanston. Hmm, Big Star? Then of course was the reunion, and my curiosity was piqued. I listened to it, and said, "There we go. This is amazing!!!" It was the first critically-acclaimed CD to actually live up to all of the hype that had been heaped upon it.

The Loud Family, Plants and Birds and Rocks and Things
This, along with the aforementioned Big Star disc, are my two faves of all time. When I heard Plants for the first time, I didn't need to think on it whether or not I loved it; I just knew. (God, that sounds like a high-school girl describing a crush on the school quarterback. Except this is no crush, this is trooLove, brothers 'n sisters!!). When you take powerpop and add a healthy dose of experimentation and found sounds and a so-weird-it-shouldn't-work-but-it-does EVH guitar solos mixed in, it was a powerful experience. Still is for me.

Other love-at-first-listen-and-still-love-'em discs:
Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers, LAMF: The Lost '77 Sessions
Cheap Trick, Cheap Trick 1977
Jellyfish, Spilt Milk
Love Nut, Baltimucho
XTC, Skylarking
Todd Rundgren, Hermit of Mink Hollow and The Ever Popular Tortured Artist Effect
Primal Scream, Vanishing Point

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:59 pm

Most of 'em have already been mentioned here, but these are my albums where it was love at first listen:

Wrens Meadowlands- I own two copies- one for listening, and the band autographed copy I got when I met them in Baltimore

Rogue Wave Descended Like Vultures

Built to Spill Keep It Like a Secret

Death Cab for Cutie We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes

Wilco Summerteeth- Also have two copies- one super-beat up one and the replacement I got immediately after the first CD started skipping too much

Radiohead The Bends

My Bloody Valentine Loveless

Calexico Garden Ruin

All of these albums stayed in permanent rotation for a month or longer after I picked them up.

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Postby Dreamin » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:39 am

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
I bought this (on cassette, I believe) in 1987 and became instantly obsessed - quickly worked my way through the entire catalogue, read every book I could get my hands on, dated a skinny Jewish guy who looked like Bob Dylan, and drove my poor friends crazy. Inevitably, I burned out on Dylan, but that album opened up a whole universe of music for me. The Band and Woody Guthrie, obviously, and then Mermaid Ave, which eventually led me to Wilco, etc. (And, of course, I discovered a link to GloNo on the Wilco website.)

Wilco - Summerteeth
This is still my favourite, in many ways. "She's a Jar" wraps you in a warm blanket of psychedelic folk-pop and gently rocks you to sleep, then it smashes your skull with a rock at the very last moment. I also love the bubblegum pun (intentional or not) of the cover art, and how it manages to look innocent and creepy at the same time. Kinda like the songs.

Arcade Fire - Funeral
No one pays attention to a Canadian indie band unless they kick ass. And they do.

Listen to Funeral while walking around your neighbourhood on a snowy night and you will hear it anew.
Last edited by Dreamin on Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Rants and Raves”