sabbatical

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

sabbatical

Postby grounded5am » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:05 pm

i am thinking of taking a sabbatical from music for a good while. the really bad thing about it all is summer is coming up very soon and that means that the cd buying that is usually bad will increase by ten fold probably. not a good time to try and cut down on music. this week alone i got 4 cd's on tuesday. i think i may try a sabbatical though, as the timing is right and i sort of need to any way.

i was writing a response in the never played thread and got to thinking about this. i wonder how many here have taken a sabbatical from music and such. is anyone's music habit so bad that they need to take a sabbatical? is anyone here so rabid about music that a good portion of their lives revolve around it? aside from me of course. over the years i have gone to less and less concerts, but i buy more and more music.

it wasn't until tower went into bankruptcy again and closed that i finally gave up the whole midnight madness thing. now i am thinking of giving up music though. for a while. i think it's causing strains in areas of my life. plus the number of cd's i have to get each week is increasing (depending on the week). especially during the spring and summer months. it seems almost every other week now there are 4 or 5 must get cd's that are coming out. i don't know. maybe i'm just rambling from being bored on a good friday. not sure if this would even work. i hope that everyone will share their thoughts and experiences and i thank everyone and anyone who read this whole thing.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Re: sabbatical

Postby Tom4 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:20 pm

grounded5am wrote:i am thinking of taking a sabbatical from music for a good while. the really bad thing about it all is summer is coming up very soon and that means that the cd buying that is usually bad will increase by ten fold probably. not a good time to try and cut down on music. this week alone i got 4 cd's on tuesday. i think i may try a sabbatical though, as the timing is right and i sort of need to any way.

i was writing a response in the never played thread and got to thinking about this. i wonder how many here have taken a sabbatical from music and such. is anyone's music habit so bad that they need to take a sabbatical? is anyone here so rabid about music that a good portion of their lives revolve around it? aside from me of course. over the years i have gone to less and less concerts, but i buy more and more music.

it wasn't until tower went into bankruptcy again and closed that i finally gave up the whole midnight madness thing. now i am thinking of giving up music though. for a while. i think it's causing strains in areas of my life. plus the number of cd's i have to get each week is increasing (depending on the week). especially during the spring and summer months. it seems almost every other week now there are 4 or 5 must get cd's that are coming out. i don't know. maybe i'm just rambling from being bored on a good friday. not sure if this would even work. i hope that everyone will share their thoughts and experiences and i thank everyone and anyone who read this whole thing.

I've never taken a "sabbatical" from music, as music is what keeps me sane (as opposed to driving me insane). It has never caused a problem bigger than trivial (such as sitting in the car for 10 minutes before putting it in drive because I'm not sure what I want to listen to). Sure, I echo Nick Drake in the fact that there's ALWAYS a song in my head, whether real or imaginary, but that's never caused me any trouble.

I can understand where you're coming from on the financial tip, though. To which I will suggest: download.

I haven't exactly reconciled this morally with myself, yet. I feel bad that I'm taking money from well-deserving artists, but music makes me happy and I only have so much that I can do financially (which is to say, very very little). So I hit Solarseek. I figure: I pimp the bands I love so much to people who DO buy their CDs, and occasionally I'll purchase a vinyl/concert ticket/t-shirt. So it almost evens out. Enough to allow me to sleep at night.

Saucy Jack

Postby Saucy Jack » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:45 pm

Music is a bloody waste of time.
Most of it has been done before mate...and done better.
Why not take a sabbatical from being a wanker and get outside and enjoy a bit of fresh air?

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:20 pm

What Tom said...
Music is my fucking soundtrack, baby! It helps me recall an exact moment in my life and bring me right back to that event better than any other sensory trigger.
The Smiths-Meat Is Murder: I still feel the jealousy when I drove by my ex-girlfriends house in high school and noticed her new boyfriend's car parked in front.
Galaxie 500-On Fire: I remember spending time doing a large amount of drugs with a dude a few days before he went to jail.
38 Special-Wild Eyed Southern Boys: My first "adult" party (I was 14) and some drunk chick smashed a saltine cracker over it.
AC/DC-Highway To Hell: Friday nights at Happy Joes Pizza after the high school football game.
INXS-The Swing: Smoking pot in my bedroom of the parent's house
The Shins-Chutes Too Narrow: Divorcing the ex-wife
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club-Take Them On, On Your Own: Finding new love.
Roxy Music-Avalon: Fucking
The Verve-A Storm In Heaven: Fucking
Eno/Byrne-My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts: Fucking
...that pretty much completes my entire sexual encounters....
Anyway, there's no way I would consider taking a "sabbatical" from music.
If it's financial struggles, dude we've all been there are we've all had to curtail our spending on things. I know Soulseek has been recommended to you before this post, so check it out or some other file-sharing site if yr wallets getting thin.
You may even find that elusive bootleg of Suzanne Vega having a domestic dispute with Mitchell Froom on there.
Use that fucking Zune you love so much!
Last edited by worpswede on Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:58 pm

I hate music. Too many notes.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:15 pm

worpswede wrote:Eno/Byrne-My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts: Fucking

Ewwww.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:16 pm

Well, g5am, you've just nailed a subject that's near and dear to my heart. I honestly don't mean this as a brag, but I have about 1300 CD's. Granted, most of them were gotten in the '90s; a lot of these were gotten for free by being a DJ and writing for different music mags/zines/online music emporia. But circumstances change; I am now happily married to the coolest woman in the world, with an awesome son and another child on the way. She's an accountant, and she knew me back when I acquired most of these CDs. Our finances have always been enough, but she does ask me to please limit my spending on CDs. Considering that back in the '90s i got myself in the hole to the tune of $2000, I'm no dummy when it comes to sensible advice.

These days, I wish I bought more CDs like I used to. But at the same time, I'm eating more than ramen soup and canned chili, too. I don't resent my wife for not wanting us to be house poor just because Daddy thinks he needs some new CDs. I end up trying not to take for granted the CDs I already have, and am somewhat cautious about which ones I do buy. Sure, it can be a bummer sometimes. But life is like that; you compromise. Life sucks, get a helmet.

But ultimately, I could never take a sabbatical from music itself. Music means way too much to me, like Worpy said. I even make compilations for MYSELF, that's how geeky about music I am. There's something thrilling about listening to a disc with nothing but songs which belong next to each other. Music serves so many functions in my life; it's almost like postcards from different periods of my life (I was listening to XTRMNTR today, and remembered that I bought the original UK version of it (Creation Records' final release) in NYC, while I was visiting my brother who was going to art school, and made the trip especially to catch the Loud Family a second time on their final tour). It's an emotional balm (laugh all you want, but when i was in junior high, I'd listen to Styx's "Fooling Yourself" to get out of down-on-myself moods. Half the time it even worked!). Finally, it's a way that I can stop my son from getting too hooked on whatever the bullshit emptyheaded music of his day is gonna be; he'll actually have a frame of reference to work with.

Damn you, this wasn't meant to be a long post. Do what you need to, g5am, but a sabbatical might be stronger medicine than you need. Find new ways to enjoy what you have, and don't go broke enjoying that music. Just pace yourself.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:23 pm

jonas wrote:Ewwww.

That's what she said.
Thanks a lot, you've been a great audience!

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:38 pm

that was a really good post there dj. i find though music can take up a bit too much of my time and is running over into parts of my life causing too much havok. i don't really want to give up music, as it's a true passion of mine and i really do love it. but there are other things i love more and don't want to lose them. besides i could do with being more sensible in regards to music, which is what i'll do.

instead of getting the cd's i want now when i can't really do that, i'll just wait. plus i need to get back to my comic books. spread the wealth i say. besides i miss them. we'll see though how long this lasts. what one says and what one does is totally different.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:34 am

Grounded, from the sounds of it, you're taking a sabbatical from buying music for a while. I did this when I was unemployed, listened to what I had, and re-discovered some great stuff. Now that I'm employed (overly so), I budget myself. I don't absolutely need to have the latest, hippest, or most talked about straight away. Where's it going? I just bought Neko Case's Fox Confessor last week (beautiful and full, btw), over a year "late." And even though I'm on a CD-a-paycheque budget, this week is a little tight. G5AM, I've always admired that you're so dedicated to buying music, but I confess that I've sometimes wondered if you're independently wealthy (and if you'd adopt me)!

Like Worps and DJ, music is totally my soundtrack to my life, but one cannot neglect the life part. Having said that, I should really stop bringing work home, especially on long weekends. Sigh.

Return to “Rants and Raves”