Al Sharpton Calls Imus Racist...Pot Calles Kettle Black

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Al Sharpton Calls Imus Racist...Pot Calles Kettle Black

Postby russ » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:35 pm

So as many of you now know...
Don Imus called the Rutgers Girls Basketball team some mean, racist names on his radio show.
I don't listen to Imus, but that is what happened, I heard the recording as many of you did.

Imus is a dork. I guess he's a racist too.
Guess what folks?
Its not illegal to be a racist.

Now all this brouhaha.
Imus is suspended for 2 weeks, and many are calling for him to be fired from his job.
Then Imus went on Al Sharpton's radio show and demanded an apology, and Imus gave him one.

I have many problems with this.

#1, I am no fan of Imus.
What he said was offensive to some, but its his RIGHT to say what he wants.
If he wants to be, or sound racist, thats HIS RIGHT to do so.
If you don't like what he says, write a letter condemning him.
Change the channel.
Write to the FCC.
But demand he be fired?

These Politically Correct Motherfuckers, shut the fuck up already.
Wa wa wa, you big crybabies.
Get a life!

And Al Sharpton?!?!? He's one of the biggest racists alive today!!!!
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!!!
Does anyone remember the Tawana Brawley Scandal in the late 1980s?
How about Steven Pagones, the prosecutor whose life Sharpton ruined?
How about Freddy's Fashion Mart in Harlem and Sharton's "WHITE INTERLOPERS"
comment in the 1980s?

How DARE Al Sharpton accuse Don Imus of being a racist and demand he be fired,
when Sharpton himself has been doing the EXACT same thing for decades.
In my opinion, anyone who follows Sharpton is either blind to his past dealings, or is just plain ignorant.
How can ANYONE take Sharpton seriously and turn the cheek to his past?
I don't see how anyone can get behind him,
when he has all that blood on his hands from his own scandalous and sordid past!

We have American troops over in Iraq dying everyday, yet everytime some stupid celebrity
says something politically incorrect...THAT becomes the front page news.

The American media is COMPLETELY FUCKED UP, and their priorities are in the toilet.

Don Imus should NOT be fired.
He has made his bed, now he must lie in it.
If they are going to end Imus' career, then be fair and end Sharpton's too.
They are both equally racist.

(Russ steps off soapbox.)

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Re: Al Sharpton Calls Imus Racist...Pot Calles Kettle Black

Postby steve-o » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:20 am

russ wrote:The American media is COMPLETELY FUCKED UP, and their priorities are in the toilet.

Ah, there it is. I think that's more what this is a symptom of. Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, and Lou Dobbs make ignorant and bigoted comments about blacks, the disabled, gays, and immigrants all the time and no one says anything. I don't see why this is any different. Not that Imus should be excused for what was a pretty nasty comment, but more that the others shouldn't be let off the hook either.

It's NBC's decision as to whether or not he should be fired. However, we as listeners don't have to listen to any of that tripe.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:31 am

I'd put it up there with Anna Nicole's daughters' paternity in terms of how every second wasted on this complete non-issue rubs the media's face further in dogshit.

It is so namby pamby and holier-than-thou it makes me cringe.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:26 am

Turn off the radio. There are so many other reasons, let this be the last straw if indeed you find this content insulting and offensive. Demand his job? It's not your decision; listeners don't elect radio hosts. However, they do make up market share. Once the ratings drop, then advertisers pay attention. It's all about money, so use it wisely and for things you support. Yes, the media is completely fucked up. Considering the handful of people who own it, are you at all surprised?

Just say no to "drugs," kids.

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:37 am

hasnt Sharpton made numerous anti-Semitic remarks in the past? I think a slur like he has said is worse than an idiotic sexist comment like Imus made
Whats also bad is when Imus's charity was brought up to show that hes not a racist in action (cheap move i admit) Sharpton essentially said he didnt care about a charity and that it was more important that Imus get fired...

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:19 pm

I agree. I am so goddam shocked at the amount of press Anna Nicole and Imus are getting. I couldn't give a flying fuck about either, really. Why must so many media outlets endlessly fixate on these non-issues? Dammit!

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:30 pm

trainwreck2 wrote:hasnt Sharpton made numerous anti-Semitic remarks in the past? I think a slur like he has said is worse than an idiotic sexist comment like Imus made
Whats also bad is when Imus's charity was brought up to show that hes not a racist in action (cheap move i admit) Sharpton essentially said he didnt care about a charity and that it was more important that Imus get fired...

I hear that charity is a bit of a sham. Imus opens up his ranch a few weeks a year and let's a handful of sick kids do chores. The rest of the time it's open only to him and his family. Nice.

lilnary
GLONO Board Playa

Postby lilnary » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:38 pm

Before Imus became a journalist, wasn't he a disc jockey who played records. How did he go from that to doing news stories?

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:33 pm

Nicolson
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Nicolson » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:55 pm

My $.02, for what it's worth:

First, I think it's a mistake to say this is a Sharpton v. Imus thing. The fact is that a LOT of people are calling for Imus to be fired. A LOT. The past 2 days in Chicago, Jesse Jackson has held protests at the NBC building. (As for "writing to the FCC", well, I guess I trust Jackson a lot more than I trust the FCC when it comes to dealing with racists.)

Personally I don't think it's a "pc" thing either. People are reacting to it because what he said is racist, sexist bilge--not because they're "overly sensitive."

In fact, I think the reaction is sort of overdue. This guy, in his professional capacity, has used a platform that reaches millions in order to spew racism, spexism, homophobia, you name it. (He's refered to other black journalists as "a cleaning lady" and as a "token hire," and has referred to arabs as "ragheads.")

The reason he's been able to get away with it for so long has to do with money, of course: politicians of both parties and media pundits benefit from being able to flog their books and campaigns on Imus' show, and so never say a peep. But now that some people are actually standing up to it, and NBC might lose some money, the behavior is being condemned.

I don't really think this is about "free speech." He can say what he wants--but it works both ways. If the listeners decide they don't like what he's saying, then they should certainly be allowed the freedom of speech to call for his firing.

If someone, on their job, in their professional capacity, called me a whore, you can damn well bet I'd call for their ass to be fired too. (And sorry, but the bullshit from Imus about "I'm not a racist, I'm a nice guy, I know LOTS of Black people, and help little Black sick children"...c'mon. Spare me. He did everything but say that "Some of my best friends are Black.")

Here's a different take on the subject, by sportwriter Dave Zirin:

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20070423/zirin

P.S. - Zirin has a new book coming out called "Welcome to the Terrordome," that is awesome...and includes an introduction by Chuck D.

Return to “Rants and Raves”