New CDs that I love: 2007 Edition

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

New CDs that I love: 2007 Edition

Postby Jake » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:55 am

Previously: 2006, 2005.

This year, instead of just telling each other what we've recently bought, let's focus on what we've actually listened to and enjoyed. How's that sound?

I'm really liking the new Bright Eyes, Cassadaga. It's good.

HOPELESSHOMO

Postby HOPELESSHOMO » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:33 am

jake jake jake.
why even use the word "cd"? doesn't that make your skin crawl? just say record, even if we're not buying all our music on vinyl. it feels better to lie to ourselves. CD's are for one moron to buy, so the rest of us can steal the music, then go buy the LP.
i'm sitting right next to you. don't make me poison your coffee.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:07 am

Digging on the new BRMC (review). Good stuff. Better than Howl, which I also liked.

Also liking the new Brite Eyes, though I find it a bit same-y after a few tracks. The opening cut is fantastic as I have been loving anything psychedelic since the MOJO cover story on Sgt. Pepper.

Speaking of...I have been revisiting the Beatles' early albums. Please Please Me is just fucking great. Title track has always been one of my favorites but I forgot about "Anna" and how much I've always love "Do You Want to Know a Secret".

amy
GLONO Board Playa

oop! oop!

Postby amy » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:19 am

I love the new Panda Bear.

Also recently scored the Arhoolie 40th Anniversary Collection on the cheap and am digging that to pieces. Suddenly I'm a whore for ranchera music. But that's not really rock and roll, so I dunno if it belongs in this discussion...

I've also been loving up the New Real People, but it's not actually released yet. Soon, soon. All you old-skool leppotone lovers, keep your ears on. New Real People's Nate, Karl, and Scott. You know you want it.

By the way....You're RIGHT about that early Beatles stuff! The best of it is really great rawkitty rawkus. I went through a really stupid hipper-than-thou spell where i decided that I no longer loved or needed the Beatles, and actually SOLD OFF A BUNCH OF MY STUFF. now, 18 years later, I'm totally loving them again and must live with the regret of the rashness and showoffy dumbness of my late youth. KIDS! DON'T SELL YOUR RECORDS! UNLESS ITS TO ME!~

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:12 pm

You know what early Beatles song kicks ass? "Bad Boy." I think it was a b-side and it's on Past Masters 1. The guitar is perfect and John's voice shreds. And the lyrics are total Chuck Berry/Coasters-style perfection. It's a Larry Williams cover (the dude who originally did "Dizzy Miss Lizzy," "Slow Down," and "Bony Moronie"), but I've never heard the original.

HOPELESSHOMO wrote:why even use the word "cd"? doesn't that make your skin crawl?

I know, I know. Me too. I was just sending up the original title of the thread from back in 2005 (for continuity's sake). Yes, I'm a nerd.

Don't fuck with the coffee -- I know a burly ninja who would be more than happy snap your head off like dandelion.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:14 pm

Now Junior, BeHAVE yourself!

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby thinsafetypin » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:03 pm

i too am a big fan of cassagdaga, although as of now, i'm not sure it'll end up ranking higher than i'm wide awake, it's morning for me. the only other somewhat recent thing i can really say i've listened to quite a bit is the pernice brothers' live a little, which i didn't love off the bat, but the record as a whole and particularly the song "pch one" has grown on me quite a bit.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:19 pm

Yes, I echo everyone's love for Cassadaga, and agree with thinsafetypin that it doesn't top I'm Wide Awake. Or Lifted in my mind, for that matter, but it ranks a respectable 3rd. I love "Make a Plan to Love Me" and "I Must Belong Somewhere."

Also, Andrew Bird's Armchair Apocrypha, Feist's The Reminder, Amy Winehouse's Back to Black, Fred Neil's The Many Sides of Fred Neil, Apostle of Hustle's National Anthem of Nowhere, Blonde Redhead's 23, Camera Obscura's Let's Get Out of This Country, Modest Mouse's We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank, and Jonny Greenwood is the Controller have all been dominating my iPod so far this year.

I love that Camera Obscura album...it's got a nice meld of indie pop and 50s and 60s girl group stuff. Bird's is a good disc, as well. Love the more straightforward, guitar-based stuff. Apostle of Hustle have a couple of duds on the album, but it's worth owning for the five or six standout tracks. And Feist's album is just incredible.[/i]

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:26 pm

I've really, really been digging The Fratellis debut, and to a lesser extent, the latest Kaiser Chiefs.

The Shins "Wincing', however, is still enjoying maximum-power rotation on every type of music device I own; iPod, home stereo, computer, etc. I can't get enough of that damn album.

Have to get that new BRMC, too - I've really dug their last 2.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:28 pm

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:I've really, really been digging The Fratellis debut, and to a lesser extent, the latest Kaiser Chiefs.

The Shins "Wincing', however, is still enjoying maximum-power rotation on every type of music device I own; iPod, home stereo, computer, etc. I can't get enough of that damn album.

Have to get that new BRMC, too - I've really dug their last 2.

I'll second the Fratellis. Fun stuff. Very...British.

Return to “Rants and Raves”