New CDs that I love: 2007 Edition

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:10 pm

i've recently got a lot of new music that i have been digging, but it's a slightly older album i got that i am most excited about. i got natalie merchant's the house carpenter's daughter and i am really digging it. it's an album of traditional and contemporary folk songs that she covers. she does sally ann again. i am also looking forward to the new rilo kiley.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:26 pm

miss carol wrote:So I bought the latest Sinead O'Connor, thinking it was the Sly & Robbie disc. But it's not. Theology is very pretty and when I read the lyrics, I'm sure well written. Great voice, nice and sparse etc. But I was psyched for Irish-girl dub. Seems I'm very behind the times.

I've got this one too--I heard her doing it live on NPR and it blew me away. Don't know that I'd recommend it, but some of the songs are really outstanding. She said after she did the album of traditional Irish music ( Sea-Nós Nua, also very good, if overproduced) there was nowhere to go but to sacred music. Just for impulses like that, I love her. I bet this stuff would be intense live.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:40 pm

Barabajagal wrote:
I've got this one too--I heard her doing it live on NPR and it blew me away. Don't know that I'd recommend it, but some of the songs are really outstanding. She said after she did the album of traditional Irish music ( Sea-Nós Nua, also very good, if overproduced) there was nowhere to go but to sacred music. Just for impulses like that, I love her. I bet this stuff would be intense live.

I would very much like to see her live. I found the album a little uneven, but I think that's because it seems moody. So tonight, since I'm tired and the weather's shite and I have no cable, I will buy yet another bottle of cheap red and take yet another listen.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:38 pm

miss carol wrote:
I would very much like to see her live. I found the album a little uneven, but I think that's because it seems moody. So tonight, since I'm tired and the weather's shite and I have no cable, I will buy yet another bottle of cheap red and take yet another listen.

And smoke a cigarette while a neon light blinks on and off outside the window?

Just trying to get the picture. ;)

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:56 am

jonas wrote:
And smoke a cigarette while a neon light blinks on and off outside the window?

Just trying to get the picture. ;)

Keep trying. You're so way off base, mate.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:49 am

aw come on. he's not even on first?

Maarten
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Maarten » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:32 pm

qui; love's miracle
good record! featuring david yow

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:38 pm

Maarten wrote:qui; love's miracle
good record! featuring david yow

This one's on a next-to-purchase list for me. There's a funny interview with him on Mark Prindle's site.

cat153
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby cat153 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:21 pm

Got the new Animal Collective and it is certainly very good...listened a couple times through and thus far, it's in the running for album of the year in my book.

Pinback's new one is excellent as well. If you like the band, you'll like the new album. Very solid.

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:35 pm

revisited

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Baby 81
Still one of the best this year. Need to listen to it more.

The White Stripes - Icky Thump
What can I say, I mean really, what more can be said.

Grinderman - Grinderman
Nick Cave does big dumb rock, and does it right.

The White Stripes - 2007 - Live at Madison Square Garden, Tuesday, July 24th
Thanks Jake, for the New York Taper link.

The White Stripes - 2007 - Live at Prince Edward Island, Saturday, July 11th
Another New York Taper recording.

-----

Some not so new, but new in my collection:

Nomads - Up-Tight: 20th Anniversary
Ah, I'd been living off of Showdown, and Raw & Rare for over 10 years. I was not impressed with Powerstrip, so I'd dismissed their newer stuff. This isn't so new anymore, but man was I missing out. What unsung gods of Rock. Long Live the Nomads.

The Forty Fives - Fight Dirty
Atlanta's answer to the whole 60s inspired garage revival.

The Flaming Sideburns - Save Rock'n'Roll
Helsinki's answer to the whole 60s inspired garage revival.

The Soviettes - II
The Soviettes - III
Already had "I", found that "II" & "III" are as good or better.

Downloaded some old singles from Nitzer Ebb, Front 242, My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult, KMFDM... just filling a few gaps.

Downloaded some singles from Ghetto Ways (Steal the Peel rocks the house down) and some Jeanie and the Tits (Beauty Club is the money track).

Return to “Rants and Raves”