New CDs that I love: 2007 Edition

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Tue May 08, 2007 9:52 am

anyone read the interview with patrick wolf on pitchfork? he really didn't come off very good in that one at all.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Tue May 08, 2007 1:18 pm

Really like Ted Leo's new one, Living with the Living, but unfortunately tracks 13 to the end (which is 15, I think) are buggered somehow. They sound like they're skipping, but they aren't, if that makes sense. I bought it at the show so I can't return it. Nevertheless, I'll figure it out likely by downloading.

I also bought Dusty in Memphis when I bought the 33 1/3 book, both of which are good. How can you go wrong with Dusty? (Um, rhetorical question, ladies and gentlemen.)

Not sure what's next. Maybe the new Shins. We shall see.

That is all, apart from the fact I'm really tired of working 6 days a week. My brain has turned to analytical, editorial mush.

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Tue May 08, 2007 3:35 pm

Has anyone else got into Ratatat? I got on that boat a long time ago and I'm glad everyone else has joined. It's very fresh. Super hip sounding, but also really durable under repeated listenings. If you're into instrumental rock with a touch of techno, you gotta hear this record.

http://criticalmetrics.com/song/10922

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Tue May 08, 2007 4:06 pm

n8 wrote:Has anyone else got into Ratatat?

I've never really gotten into 'em, but I have really dug a bunch of their songs ("seventeen" and "Wildcat" come to mind). I have a pretty low tolerance threshold for techno, but love it when they rock.

A few days ago I stumbled across this blog about thier new remix album:
http://myoldkyhome.blogspot.com/2007/05 ... s-vol.html

I would HIGHLY recommend "Party and Bullshit"

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue May 08, 2007 6:18 pm

Elliott Smith's New Moon really is worth all the fuss. It sounds so good. If you're a fan of his self-titled album and Either/Or, you will like this. It's hard to believe that these were the songs that didn't make the cut.

"Looking Over My Shoulder," in particular is fucking awesome:

I got nothin' that I want to do
More than make another sonic "fuck you"
To play whenever you make my life cliche
So to fit in some little box with the all the labelled shit
You would say to keep confusion away

You come over with all of your friends
And all their opinions I don't want to know
And I'm looking over my shoulder
Bookin' away with nowhere to go

Not only is that a totally badass "sonic fuck you," I just like the fact that he uses the word bookin'. Reminds me of being a kid. Bookin'! Ha.

infectiousdisease
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby infectiousdisease » Thu May 10, 2007 6:12 pm

G5A, Patrick Wolf doesn't come off well in ANY interview....but I love him anyways.

Put me down as another fan of the Magic Position. I've been hesistant to talk about how much I love it because I keep thinking I'm going to get tired of it....but it's ben spinning since February and I still love it. So yes. Much love for Patty, despite his obnoxiousness.

Maarten
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Maarten » Thu May 17, 2007 2:39 am

this is quite painful to watch, glad i wasn't at the show.
but he's still lovely.

nina nastasia & jim white; you follow me
simply beautiful!

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Thu May 24, 2007 10:30 pm

amighty wrote:Also, do you guys like "Bishop Allen"? Indie rock from Brooklyn, they do a cool cover of "Psycho Killer" as well as a bunch of their own great tunes.

Yeah, I was just listening to Charm School last week. It's a fun little CD, even if it's a little uneven...it also has the least-amplified electric guitar I think I've ever heard.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Thu May 24, 2007 10:33 pm

I really like Sound of Silver...Murphy's not shy about hiding his musical roots, but it's good stuff anyway.

Having said that, I still find myself listening a lot to one of last year's favorites, The Hold Steady. Really a great album, just not 2007.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Fri May 25, 2007 9:06 pm

abra moore - on the way

i found a copy actually and i've been playing it a lot. another excellent record from her.

suzanne vega - frank and ava, zephyr and i, ny is a woman

the three songs she's released from her forthcoming record. suzanne hasn't sounded this good in years. i heard lee ranaldo plays on the new record. plus i heard the whole record is about new york. it should be interesting.

Return to “Rants and Raves”