New CDs that I love: 2007 Edition

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:00 pm

still rocking beauty and crime. i've got the new white stripes to listen to though. hopefully tonight i can listen to it. also what does everyone think of the new paul mccartney?

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:33 pm

Chris G wrote:The new BRMC is the only 2007 released CD I've bought yet this year!

I'm loving that album right now. And I'm loving Pitchfork's horrible review of it too. Great job attaching waaay too much meaning to what's just a big dumb rock record. Lighten up, guys.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:47 am

i agree. and i have to highly recommend icky thump. it's the first white stripes album that i actually enjoy thoroughly. you don't know what love is (you just do as your told) is a fantastic song.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:44 am

The new Queens of the Stone Age is a lot like their other albums: a bunch of killer songs that make them the best rock band going (if they were to put out a "best-of" it'd be a motherfucker); a few that still have great musical ideas but maybe don't develop, or go a bit long; and a couple awfully bad numbers that never should have made the cut. BUT--I dig the direction they're headed, and it rocks. Their production is always so damn cool; these guys just make awesome sounds. If you like the band at all, you'll like Era Vulgaris.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:28 am

Barabajagal wrote:The new Queens of the Stone Age is a lot like their other albums: a bunch of killer songs that make them the best rock band going (if they were to put out a "best-of" it'd be a motherfucker);

Sounds like a good subject of the next "21 Best Songs By..." thread.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:20 pm

Jake wrote:Sounds like a good subject of the next "21 Best Songs By..." thread.

Yeah, we need to revive that series.

DavidMac
GLONO Board Playa

2007 right now tied

Postby DavidMac » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:47 am

1a. Centromatic- Will Johnson just quietly releases bombs and incremently develops his sound a release at a time. But damn- Operation Motorcide- going 8 tracks long(usually a perfect size) is about as addictive as music can get ie the Desparodo Seinfeld episode.
2a. The National- Boxer- more of uniform mood piece than previous releases with the decisions to put the percussions way up front. Hypnotic music which captures well the National Mood starting with Fake Empire.

So far its been a strong year music for me after a very lackluster 2006. with strong offerings from Fiest, Grinderman, Ponys and Andrew Bird.
disappointments: Wilco, Shins, Modest Mouse.

cat153
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby cat153 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:46 am

i'll throw in another disappointment...probably the biggest of 07: Bright Eyes. Cassadaga (note: not bothering to worry about spelling) was so bland that I really only have had the stomach to give it a couple of spins. Very disappointing given how much I really enjoyed Wide Awake...

As for strong releases I've listened to this year: feist, andrew bird, of montreal, page france, the clientele, the postmarks, richard swift, the ponys, and the national have all been in heavy rotation during the first have of the year. my favorite thus far, though, is dinosaur jr's cd: i'm of an age where i can look back fondly at dino jr so not sure if it's partly nostalgia but i can't get enough of their new cd.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Re: 2007 right now tied

Postby Tom4 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:55 am

DavidMac wrote:So far its been a strong year music for me after a very lackluster 2006. with strong offerings from Fiest, Grinderman, Ponys and Andrew Bird.

That Feist album is still the best thing I've heard all year, though the EP from The Explorers Club (they sound EXACTLY like The Beach Boys, in a good way) has been on a lot.

I do like the Wilco, Shins, and Modest Mouse discs. The first two more than the latter.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Re: 2007 right now tied

Postby grounded5am » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:30 am

DavidMac wrote:So far its been a strong year music for me after a very lackluster 2006. with strong offerings from Fiest, Grinderman, Ponys and Andrew Bird.

i thought 2006 was the best year musically we've had in 8-9 years. there wasn't a year like that since 97-98. 01 was really good too, but not at the level that 97 was. at least to me anyway. and this year is equal is almost equalling last year in terms of great music. it's very close. i've been really digging the new white stripes, the new mccartney, the new abra moore, and the new mandy moore here lately. and i still love modest mouse and wilco.

Return to “Rants and Raves”