Canadian Punk Label Goes Fully Digital

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Herb Tarlek
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Canadian Punk Label Goes Fully Digital

Postby Herb Tarlek » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:46 pm

Hello all.....been away awhile, happy to be back.

Not sure if news of this has reached GloNo yet but I thought the idea of a completely digital label was intriguing. G7 Welcoming Committee is a Canadian-based label which is the current home to bands such as Propagandhi, Subhumans and the Greg MacPherson Band and former home to the Weakerthans and John K. Samson.

http://www.exclaim.ca/articles/generalarticlesynopsfullart.aspx?csid1=109&csid2=844&fid1=25031

Does anyone know of any US-based indies doing the same thing? Just curious.

Herb

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Re: Canadian Punk Label Goes Fully Digital

Postby worpswede » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:43 pm

Herb Tarlek wrote:Hello all.....been away awhile, happy to be back.

Goddamnit Herb, next time you let us know when you're going to be out all night like that. Your Mom and I were worried sick about you!

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:58 pm

worpswede wrote:Goddamnit Herb, next time you let us know when you're going to be out all night like that. Your Mom and I were worried sick about you!

Good practice run, Worps, but you've got to get the flying spittle down right. Try it again: and a one and a two...

Fester Von Zesterberg
GLONO Board Playa

Postby Fester Von Zesterberg » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:41 pm

worpswede wrote:Goddamnit Herb, next time you let us know when you're going to be out all night like that. Your Mom and I were worried sick about you!

Herb is gone all that time and how do you welcome him back?
By trying to be funny. Maybe Herb wanted some real genuine response to his return post instead of Worpswede's garden variety self-centered ramblings. Worpswede you're not funny. You only THINK you're funny.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:54 pm

Fester Von Zesterberg wrote:Herb is gone all that time and how do you welcome him back?
By trying to be funny. Maybe Herb wanted some real genuine response to his return post instead of Worpswede's garden variety self-centered ramblings. Worpswede you're not funny. You only THINK you're funny.

Down, Lita; next time, go for the hummus that doesn't have a beard on it. If you don't have indigestion, you might not be so damn testy.

Welcome back, Herb!! It's cool to have another Jellyfish fan around; you've been missed.

Hmm, all digital? AND they're divesting themselves of their existing physical product? Sounds like some sort of act of desperation. And a bit premature; I have a feeling that when we hit the inevitable iPod backlash, people will want to go back to some sort of physical media, whether it be CDs, DVD-As, SACDs, BluRay, or a future format still TBD. And then where will these dudes be?

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:56 am

Fester Von Zesterberg wrote:Worpswede you're not funny. You only THINK you're funny.

You only THINK you're Richard Dawson.
Look in the mirror, Louie Anderson.

Herb Tarlek
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Herb Tarlek » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:25 am

Sorry Pop, I promise it won't happen again. But it's not my fault.....I was kidnapped by some sports fanatics who forced me to participate in numerous hockey pools and I spent all my time playing GM, plotting trades and managing the salary cap and the NEXT thing I knew 10 months had gone by. Now I'm free.....or I will be once the NHL playoffs are over.

DJMurphy wrote:Down, Lita; next time, go for the hummus that doesn't have a beard on it. If you don't have indigestion, you might not be so damn testy.

Welcome back, Herb!! It's cool to have another Jellyfish fan around; you've been missed.

Hmm, all digital? AND they're divesting themselves of their existing physical product? Sounds like some sort of act of desperation. And a bit premature; I have a feeling that when we hit the inevitable iPod backlash, people will want to go back to some sort of physical media, whether it be CDs, DVD-As, SACDs, BluRay, or a future format still TBD. And then where will these dudes be?

Happy to be back Murph, thanks. Cool to see lots of familiar names too.

I just thought all-digital was an interesting idea. I don't think they would burn their existing stock in an attempt to make a statement - especially considering environmental responsibility is one of their reasons for doing this in the first place - but you never know. They are very anti-corporate and anti-profit so that might be seen as a big "fuck you" to the mainstream industry. Although you would think giving them away would accomplish almost the same thing in a much more environmentally responsible way.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:28 am

worpswede wrote:You only THINK you're Richard Dawson.

louie anderson?!?!?! he's more like richard karn from home improvement.

Fester Von Zesterberg
GLONO Board Playa

Postby Fester Von Zesterberg » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:12 pm

worpswede wrote:You only THINK you're Richard Dawson.

I guess we both have something in common with Louie.
I'm fat and you pay for the companionship of males.

stickman45
Cocksmith

Postby stickman45 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:29 pm

It's this kind of tough love that drove Fester into the arms of the grizzly.

Return to “Rants and Raves”