Why do bands still make videos?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Why do bands still make videos?

Postby Dawg » Mon May 07, 2007 9:36 am

I was browsing youTube for music the other day (specifically for Ben Folds) and I found some videos which I wasn't aware even existed. Not just concert performances, actual videos. Same with other bands I looked for.

So my question is, why do record companies even pay for videos anymore? No one plays them. MTV & VH1 are pop culture / reality networks, M2 USED to play videos, but now they show MTV reruns. Even VH1 Classic (which used to be a great channel) has started playing music movies and shows instead of straight up videos, and even then they are mostly old school (as the "Classic" part of the name indicates).

With record companies hemmoraging money, why do they fund these? There's nowhere on cable to watch them!

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon May 07, 2007 9:45 am

To sell on iTunes!

amy the wineaux
GLONO Board Playa

Postby amy the wineaux » Mon May 07, 2007 11:27 am

Just came back from time in old Blighty and I tell ya there are some great videos out there and those Brits have at least 15 channels on skytv devoted to every genre in Europe. It made me miss the good ole days of turning on cable and hearing great music. At least every third or fourth video was clever, interesting or at very least innovative. My fav? The new Groove Armada video, just fun. Make me sad that we are missing out. On the other hand, I was feeling homesick and happy to back stateside.
Last edited by amy the wineaux on Mon May 07, 2007 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon May 07, 2007 1:10 pm

Ask Ok Go why they make videos and they'll show millions of dollars in free exposure on various entertainment and news shows. That treadmill video moved some units, yo.

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Mon May 07, 2007 1:59 pm

Videos have become a hot new marketing tool through YouTube, MySpace, and iTunes. They've also become a new form of artistic expression within the reach of DIY bands looking to gain exposure and establish an image.

Here's a story all about the new era of music videos, and an indie band that made it big through YouTube:

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/2007-02-1 ... radio-star

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Mon May 07, 2007 2:00 pm

D. Phillips wrote:Ask Ok Go why they make videos and they'll show millions of dollars in free exposure on various entertainment and news shows. That treadmill video moved some units, yo.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon May 07, 2007 2:05 pm

D. Phillips wrote:Ask Ok Go why they make videos and they'll show millions of dollars in free exposure on various entertainment and news shows. That treadmill video moved some units, yo.

True dat. But not everyone agrees on how much. And:

The act's famous "treadmill" video for the single "Here It Goes Again" was an Internet viral smash, viewed more than 1 million times on Yahoo Music and more than 11 million times on YouTube. But the album "Oh No" has sold slightly more than 200,000 copies, and the single was downloaded a little more than 450,000 times. Many of those sales came after the song was added to more traditional promotional outlets such as MTV.

So who knows?

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Mon May 07, 2007 2:09 pm

Jake wrote:So who knows?

Could be that the people who didn't buy it felt the same way I did: Lame tune but a kick ass video.
Just like A-Ha.

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Mon May 07, 2007 2:15 pm

It does seem strange that videos are still made, but then I don't spend as much time on YouTube as the average teenager.

I DID hear the Silversun Pickups' "Lazy Eye" on Fuse or some other music-video channel, and got hooked. So I guess it might still be financially viable.

I'm sure everyone here reads Stereogum on the regular, but if you don't, they are pointing out that eh Yeah yeah Yeah's are issuing an open call for darkly-clad hipsters for their new video to be shot in Brooklyn. It's probably for the new song from the Spider-Man 3 soundtrack, which is killer (the song, NOT the rest of the soundtrack).

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon May 07, 2007 2:19 pm

worpswede wrote:Just like A-Ha.

That's fightin' talk. I loved me some a-ha. I even had a girl I went to highschool with (a cheerleader no less) who worked Hot Sam's at the mall make me custom pretzel that spelled "a-ha." No shit. And I was too nervous and shy and dorky to follow up and I never even kissed her. Fool!

And if a-ha was so lame, then U2 wouldn't have stolen the chorus of "The Sun Always Shines on TV" (video) for their comeback hit, "Beautiful Day."

Touch me
Take me to that other place
Teach me
I know I'm not a hopeless case

Touch me
How can it be
Believe me
The sun always shines on T.V.

Let the ridicule begin. It's justified.

Return to “Rants and Raves”