Fuck Clive Davis

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Fuck Clive Davis

Postby russ » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:24 pm

Just to show him, I bought Kelly Clarkson's " My December" and its GOOD! She didn't want to have another cd of those forgettable Hallmark card-styled pop songs that all the other AI performers use...
Now the media is trying to say she's going down the tubes.

Its all so much B.S.

You go Kelly!
You go rock and roll some!!

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:55 pm

Ah yes, that's probably a VERY punk rock thing to do, to admit we dig stuff that has zero indie cred. Kudos, Russ.

Clive Davis has always been ever so slightly jive, but back in the day, it wasn't as blatant. At Columbia, he was responsible (credit where it is due) for bringing the label out of their Johnny Mathis/Ray Conniff/Mitch Miller stagnation to new groups like Big Brother & The Holding Co., Electric Flag, and Santana. Then, after being fired for expense account indiscretions (he paid for his son's bar mitzvah with CBS corporate funds), he landed at Bell Records, which he re-christened Arista Recs. After a Barry Manilow, a Dionne Warwick, and a Whitney Houston later, his ability to turn dire schmaltz into solid gold (monetarily, at least) would never be doubted again. Then he was shown the door at Arista for being too old. He started J Recs, moved into RCA, and is now back on top, when he probably should be playing shuffleboard or hanging with his fellow fogey pals in Boca. I give him credit for using AI to give himself a shitload of exposure, but really, the fucker's gotta retire. The damage he's done to Rod Stewart alone is unforgivable; Rod's like a retarded child who's willing to run with the wrong crowd just to be accepted ANYWHERE. Rod can't help himself, and he was willing to do whatever it took to sell whatever shit stuck against the wall. Clive fixed him up good, alright. Sigh. It's ok; eventually, Clive will embarrass himself in a very large way.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:39 am

DJMurphy wrote:Ah yes, that's probably a VERY punk rock thing to do, to admit we dig stuff that has zero indie cred. Kudos, Russ.

Oh yeah? Then I LOVE Clive Davis! How punk is that?

Okay...not really...just trying it on for size. In fact, I don't have a feeling about the guy either way.

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:09 am

i think she has some indie cred...at least for an AI person
i think shes got a bigger chance at a long term career more than the others

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:07 am

DJMurphy wrote:Clive Davis has always been ever so slightly jive, but back in the day, it wasn't as blatant. At Columbia, he was responsible (credit where it is due) for bringing the label out of their Johnny Mathis/Ray Conniff/Mitch Miller stagnation to new groups like Big Brother & The Holding Co., Electric Flag, and Santana. Then, after being fired for expense account indiscretions (he paid for his son's bar mitzvah with CBS corporate funds), he landed at Bell Records, which he re-christened Arista Recs. After a Barry Manilow, a Dionne Warwick, and a Whitney Houston later, his ability to turn dire schmaltz into solid gold (monetarily, at least) would never be doubted again. Then he was shown the door at Arista for being too old. He started J Recs, moved into RCA, and is now back on top, when he probably should be playing shuffleboard or hanging with his fellow fogey pals in Boca. I give him credit for using AI to give himself a shitload of exposure, but really, the fucker's gotta retire.

Your knowledge of the industry's history is pretty impressive. I remember once you gave me a lesson on Bang Records! It's kind of cool you're versed in it. I always thought that Clive was a douche, as evidenced by the Arista roster.
DJ Murph wrote:The damage he's done to Rod Stewart alone is unforgivable; Rod's like a retarded child who's willing to run with the wrong crowd just to be accepted ANYWHERE. Rod can't help himself, and he was willing to do whatever it took to sell whatever shit stuck against the wall. Clive fixed him up good, alright.

Rod had a major hand in that himself. Seriously: Is there any other artist that comes immediately to mind in terms of completely selling out raw fucking talent for commercial acceptance? There's been more than one time in which I've been called out by someone looking through my cds and stopping dead at The Mercury Years by Rod. Then I have to explain the two phases of Rod: the Pre-Warners/Faces Rod and the "Do You Think I'm Sexy" Rod.
But yeah, lately, he's been nothing but a pawn for Clive.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:58 pm

OK, somebody likes crapy, meaningless, mindless mass produced entertainment. Great. Good for you. But there's nothing punk about that.

There is and NEVER will be anything punk rock about Clive Davis or anything he touches. He literally IS the status quo.

Punk is a moral and asthetic reaction AGAINST the status quo. Making claims that selling out is punk is only something done by people who aren't punk.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:13 pm

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:OK, somebody likes crapy, meaningless, mindless mass produced entertainment. Great. Good for you. But there's nothing punk about that.

There is and NEVER will be anything punk rock about Clive Davis or anything he touches. He literally IS the status quo.

Punk is a moral and aesthetic reaction AGAINST the status quo. Making claims that selling out is punk is only something done by people who aren't punk.

Hmm, let me clarify what I was saying...

Punk attitude, as I've always understood it, is a willingness to buck convention, anyone else's opinions be damned. Anti-sheep mentality, if you will. I think all of us will agree to that.

That said, when you get a roomful of Ten Yard Fight fans, and one of them admits to the group that he likes AC/DC, THAT'S a punk rock thing to do. If punk rock mentality in that hypothetical room becomes the de facto status quo, if you will, if someone were to admit that they like something that couldn't be further from that standard, and is willing to risk ridicule from his/her punk rock peers, in my eyes, that's punk. Think of the GloNo boards as that hypothetical room.

But yes, the last thing even remotely punk rock about Clive was the Patti Smith Group. And that was how many years ago?

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:28 pm

DJMurphy wrote:Hmm, let me clarify what I was saying...

Punk attitude, as I've always understood it, is a willingness to buck convention, anyone else's opinions be damned. Anti-sheep mentality, if you will. I think all of us will agree to that.

That said, when you get a roomful of Ten Yard Fight fans, and one of them admits to the group that he likes AC/DC, [b]THAT'S a punk rock thing to do. [/b]If punk rock mentality in that hypothetical room becomes the de facto status quo, if you will, if someone were to admit that they like something that couldn't be further from that standard, and is willing to risk ridicule from his/her punk rock peers, in my eyes, that's punk. Think of the GloNo boards as that hypothetical room.

There's nothing punk about that.

Being the only retard with a blue shirt on a retard bus full of speds wearing yellow shirts does not make you Punk. It makes you a retard in a blue shirt.

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:40 pm

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:
There's nothing punk about that.

Being the only retard with a blue shirt on a retard bus full of speds wearing yellow shirts does not make you Punk. It makes you a retard in a blue shirt.

if this is the blue shirtthen you might be punk!

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:46 pm

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:There is and NEVER will be anything punk rock about Clive Davis or anything he touches. He literally IS the status quo.

I would agree.
DJ Murphy wrote:the last thing even remotely punk rock about Clive was the Patti Smith Group.

Or was that a "token" punk artist signed solely on the merits that she would bring a certain amount of credibility to the Arista roster? I don't think there is any Davis signing that hasn't completely thought of the commercial element, Smith included. With that being said, she was probably the riskiest signing that he ever did.
Personally, I've always consider Patti as more of a hippie than a punk, which Clive seemed more comfortable around. Stoners are easier to drop after they've peaked and/or failed to have a chart entry.

Return to “Rants and Raves”