Live Earth

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Live Earth

Postby worpswede » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:00 am

So I'm stuffing $25 formula down my daughter's throat with one hand and surfing the tele via a remote in the other and discover that Live Aid has been renamed Live Earth and that a band called Kenna opened the festivities here in the States.
Raise your hand if you knew there was a band called Kenna.
Now raise your hand if you were mad at Bravo for not airing another Top Chef marathon in favor of barely live coverage of "Live Earth."
I say barely live because, interspliced between the kickoff concert at Giants stadium was coverge from Japan, England, and a few other locations that I didn't pay attention to. From what I understand, a really shitty cover band played in Antartica for the event because that continent will be as warm as St. Thomas in twenty years.
Diversion #1: I did a search of Antartica a several months ago because I suffer from insomnia on occassion and then learned a week later that I wasn't the only one that week who looked deeper into the continent. It was listed as one of those "top moving searches" items for that same week, which really creeped me out that there were literally thousands of like-minded, sad individuals out there searching for more information on a (mostly) uninhabitable continent.
While Kenna was rocking a fairly sparce looking Meadowlands crowd, Duran Duran (who are apparently still together, making women between the ages of 35-45 moist) performed a never-ending version of "Notorious" that also included a quick Sly reference with a "boom shacka lacka lacka" line in the middle of it
The newly reunionized Genesis also made an apperance with their obligatory "Land Of Confusion."
Fun Fact: Did you know that Disturbed covered "Land Of Confusion" last year? They explained the decision to do so to Spin magazine by confessing that they were too retarded to know that the song was a piece of shit.
Fun Fact #2: My wife knew all the lyrics to "Land Of Confusion," admitting that she owned a Genesis cassette when she was younger. She said it also had "I Can't Dance" on it. I told her that if she ever spoke of that again, I would be forced to divorce her.
Fun Fact #3:I was worried that Phil Collins would try to perform two shows on two separate continents, just like he did during Live Aid, but then I remembered that British Airways retired the Concorde in 2003, thereby preventing Collins from accomplishing this feat again.
Metallica came on and did a song called "Say The Truth." Since I'd never heard of a Metallica song called "Say The Truth," I turned up the volume (remember, I'm feeding an infant, and she doesn't need to know about things like St. Anger yet). It immediately dawned on me that the song was not "Say The Truth" but "Sad But True." Apparently, the person doing the closed-captioning was doing it "on the fly" and did not have a lyric sheet handy.
The Red Hot Chili Peppers performed a few songs too, many of which my wife knew and sang the words too. Since I haven't purchased a Red Hot Chili Peppers album since Blood Sugar Sex Magic, I kind of felt left out and a little old. Trying to appear hip, I reminded my wife that I had seen the Chili Peppers at Lalapalooza 2 in 1992. She reminded me that she was 13 years old in 1992, which not only made me feel old, it made me feel a little like a pervert.
Then a band called Keane came on the England stage. My wife asked me "Why are there a bunch of bands on Live Earth that I've never heard of?" I told her that if she'd get off her ass and learn how to play Madden that she would have recognized Keane as a band that appeared on the soundtrack of Madden 07.
She then asked if I was watching Live Earth and then switched the channel without waiting for a reply.
So how did the rest of you celebrate Live Earth day?

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Re: Live Earth

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:14 am

worpswede wrote:So how did the rest of you celebrate Live Earth day?

I rented an Escalade and drove it until it ran out gas.
Thenthe bride of Sven came and picked me up in our Subaru.
The beauty of all wheel drive all the time.
Since we both work for a living we deserve to drive a vehicle with a good safety rating in case Al Gore's son is driving a hundred miles an hour all hopped up on drugs and slams into us and Sven Junior.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:06 pm

While preparing to see The Books last night, my friends and I caught Melissa Etheridge, Foo Fighters, Alicia Keys (who is one of the most beautiful women on the planet), and Dave Matthews.

Entering the weekend, I had no idea Live Earth was even this weekend, let alone who was playing and where. Judging by what I saw, I didn't miss much. Although Keys did do a good version of "Mercy Mercy Me," and was wearing a wonderfully tight pink dress that put the badonkadonk on fully display.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:00 am

worpswede wrote:Fun Fact #3:I was worried that Phil Collins would try to perform two shows on two separate continents, just like he did during Live Aid, but then I remembered that British Airways retired the Concorde in 2003, thereby preventing Collins from accomplishing this feat again

Hah! As if you needed a better example of the hypocrisy of a bunch of super-rich celebrities telling us low-life proles to quit fucking up the planet.

Oh, let me guess...he bought a terrapass, right?

So how did the rest of you celebrate Live Earth day?

I rode my bike around. I certainly didn't fly in a private jet to some exotic location to perform in a field that is now almost certainly covered in Sun Chips wrappers, empty over-priced water bottles, and human sewage.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:17 am

worpswede wrote:So how did the rest of you celebrate Live Earth day?

When was it?

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:18 am

steve-o wrote:
I rode my bike around. I certainly didn't fly in a private jet to some exotic location to perform in a field that is now almost certainly covered in Sun Chips wrappers, empty over-priced water bottles, and human sewage.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=466775&in_page_id=1879

Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Tim » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:30 pm

Its the biggest bunch of hypocritical bullshit I've ever seen. These celebrities make me ill. They need to find a better issue (more like one that actually exists rather than a fake one like global warming). I'm all for a clean environment, and less pollution, but I think there are better things to have concerts for.

Al Gore is a ego-inflated phony fucking tool.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:14 am

Tim wrote:Its the biggest bunch of hypocritical bullshit I've ever seen. These celebrities make me ill. They need to find a better issue (more like one that actually exists rather than a fake one like global warming).

Um, the fact that global warming exists is not really disupted, even by most of those that say it's not a result of human actions: it's a documented, observed phenomenon. You could argue that mankind's effect on the increase in global temperatures is a "fake" issue, but over 30 major national academies of science and the Intergovermental Panel on Climate Change seem to think it isn't. Of course, if you know something they don't, feel free to volunteer it.

I'm with you on calling bullshit on a bunch of self-absorbed celebrities trying to tell us how to live. But lets not confuse it with the bigger issue. Like, why the fuck is Madonna still talking with that British accent? We all know it's fake. Oh, that and global warming.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:15 am

Tim wrote:Al Gore is a ego-inflated phony fucking tool.

The only real issue I have with Al Gore at this point is that he was seen handclapping, completely out of rhythm, while Garth Brooks was performing at Live Earth.

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:26 am

didnt Duran Duran at least make a crack about everyone who didnt fly in on a private jet clap your hands?

Return to “Rants and Raves”