When dying mediums converge

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

MF
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby MF » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:30 pm

miss carol wrote:MF, if I find something about the Horny thing, I'll post it. I'm curious too. It would work in Canada, but I'm not sure about the US; depends on the book.

stickman45 wrote:GREATEST TYPO EVER.

Miss Carol: My wife says if that wasn't a typo, we can't go to the baseball game together...

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:21 am

MF wrote:
Miss Carol: My wife says if that wasn't a typo, we can't go to the baseball game together...

TYPO!! It's been a stupid week and this is just one example of my idiocy. Bah.
I must admit, it was pretty damn funny.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:58 am

Then again, if you do find something about the Horny thing, please post it. We're all curious!

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:28 am

Jake wrote:PS - Most music magazines that include a CD (Magnet, Paste, etc.) provide that as a source of advertising. Which is why they suck. MOJO's comps, on the other hand, are not ads. Which is why they're listenable.

Oh, please - the merchandising of a song to people who like music doesn't automatically mean it sucks. Over the years I've discovered some good artists (and songs) on Paste compilations, including Broken Social Scene, Clap Your Hands and the Decemberists. Out of every compilation (say 20 songs each) I keep 4 or 5 songs, but as music goes that's a pretty damned good hit rate.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:16 pm

jonas wrote:Over the years I've discovered some good artists (and songs) on Paste compilations, including Broken Social Scene, Clap Your Hands and the Decemberists.

I would guess Paste charges more or has better salespeople than Magnet. Because Magnet's cds are as bad as randomly hitting myspace.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:44 pm

Jake wrote:I would guess Paste charges more or has better salespeople than Magnet. Because Magnet's cds are as bad as randomly hitting myspace.

Now that I buy. I just did a quick perusal of the Paste songs I've kept, and a lot of it is familiar...Elliott Smith, Decemberists, Camper vB, Nick Cave, Trash Can Sinatras, Kathleen Edwards...plus the bands listed above. Some good stuff.

But the flip side of all this, going back to what you originally said, is that Paste's relationship with distributors seems to skew their reviews over to the friendly side. In a supposed 5-star system, you can go through 35 or 40 Paste reviews and only find a few lower than 3 stars. I suspect that's true of pretty much any music magazine I buy, but Paste seems 'friendlier' than most, and that might be because they're more dependent on good relationships with the distributors who put songs on their CDs.
Last edited by jonas on Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:48 pm

Jake wrote:The Oxford American music issue always includes a CD and it is always totally fucking awesome.

I'm not sure how I missed this magazine, but this is great stuff. Thanks for pointing it out.

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:03 pm

Great thread...

I just wanted to contribute a couple of points.

Firstly, computer magaqzines have been giving away CD Roms of software for ages. MAC Addict gives away a disk full of software, freeware, shareware, samplers, limitted versions of games, etc. in every issue.

As for the Prince thing, the logic was, that his albums don't sell like they use to anyway, however, he's one of the top grossing live music acts in the world. He decided that, since he makes 100 times more money from his live concerts than he does from his record sales, why bother making people pay for the studio album? If he sold it, comparatively he would barely make any money off of it anyway, and giving it away free is huge publicity for his tour. At the same time he gets his new stuff into more people's hands than selling it would.

Makes sense to me.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:26 pm

Just got the following from Under the Radar magazine for their "first-ever CD sampler [...] More than 18,000 selected readers will receive a CD in our next issue..."

Track #1: $600
Track #2: $550
Track #3: SOLD
Track #4: SOLD
Track #5: SOLD
Last Track: $600

All other tracks: $425

I'm not saying that it's necessarily going to suck, if it does, you know that some myspacer hit his dad up for a $425 advance on his allowance...

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:48 am

On a related note, the NY Times will make its paid-only content free.

From the Globe and Mail

Return to “Rants and Raves”