Jake Brown (not me) crashes harder than Beyonce

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Jake Brown (not me) crashes harder than Beyonce

Postby Jake » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:52 am

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KBvCrSjpx9I" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed>

Ouch.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:57 am

Googling ourselves, are we? Ha!

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:00 am

Worse! I have a Google alert that notifies every time a new page that mentions my name is indexed. Yes, I am a dork.

But this is national news. It was on the fucking Today Show this morning.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:13 am

So what's the farthest you've ever fallen?

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:55 am

Lep wrote:So what's the farthest you've ever fallen?

Several years ago he fell from God's grace.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:33 am

I prefer to think of it as God falling from my grace.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:00 am

As you say, ouch.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:58 am

Like soccer,skateboarding is a commie plot to destroy America.
Motorcycle jumping brings American families together.
This daredevil skateboarding bullpuckey rips them apart.
Golf is for those who want to see the middle class dissolve, so there will only be two classes--Rich Golfers and the poorfolk who they keep down and addicted to the crack.
Obviously this country has changed quite a bit in the last 10 years.
But if it is to survive at all Boxing must make a major comeback.
Boxing and Horse racing were once the most popular sports in this country.
But rght now Mixed Martial Arts is more popular than boxing.
UFC and IFL features men rolling around on the ground clenched together like Drunken Roman Sodomites.
It's obviously a plot to turn American children into gays.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:57 pm

Sven Killer Robot Spacema wrote:Like soccer,skateboarding is a commie plot to destroy America.
Motorcycle jumping brings American families together.
This daredevil skateboarding bullpuckey rips them apart.
Golf is for those who want to see the middle class dissolve, so there will only be two classes--Rich Golfers and the poorfolk who they keep down and addicted to the crack.
Obviously this country has changed quite a bit in the last 10 years.
But if it is to survive at all Boxing must make a major comeback.
Boxing and Horse racing were once the most popular sports in this country.
But rght now Mixed Martial Arts is more popular than boxing.
UFC and IFL features men rolling around on the ground clenched together like Drunken Roman Sodomites.
It's obviously a plot to turn American children into gays.

I agree with much of you say. Here are the points that I don't:
Skateboarding, although far from a Commie plot, used to hold a certain punk rock mystique to it; I would occassionally buy and read Thrasher just to keep an eye on the culture before it turned into a marketable niche that's made it universally accepted instead of a network of alienated teenagers. In other words: it's turned from Dead Kennedys into Green Day.
And I know there's a perception of golf that's probably shared by a lot of posters. But here in Iowa, there's still a network of small town golf courses that cost next-to-nothing to play (or even be a member of) that are as middle class as "all get out." I grew up on these kinds of courses (I seldom play anymore), and fondly remember factory workers, farmers, and other salt of the earth fans of the sport that brought a six pack of beer and a pack of smokes, lackadaisically shooting nine holes before sundown.
Of course, we played our rounds at the Elks club or one of those farmland courses while the rich pricks played at the country club.
And even when I got a chance to play at the club, I liked the vibe at the Elks a whole lot better anyway. The "golf pro" at the Elks was also one of the fucking greenskeepers and that's awesome in my book.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:56 am

worpswede wrote:I agree with much of you say. Here are the points that I don't:

I'm obviously not as knowledgeable about music as you Worpy.
That's not sarcasm--you know a ton of shit.
But as far as I know the big three---Ramones, Sex Pistols, Clash--had nothing to with skateboarding. Other than those three my favorite punk bands are Social Distortion and Bad Religion. Although skaters may have been fans of the band I don't recall those two incorporating skater culture in their images. Again I could be wrong there especially since they're from the west coast. And the skater thing is more of a west coast phenomenon. So I'm sure there are a number of bands I don't know a lot about-(Suicidal Tendencies maybe?) that have a lot of skater culture in the imaging of their bands.

It's funny that you gave a serious response to a post I thought was obviously tongue-in-cheek. You have such a sick sense of humor that maybe your serious response was a joke too.
Could be an East Coast point of view versus a Midwest point of view on golf. I really have never been able to connect with people who golf and all the golfers I've met had no sense of irony. They were always the "color in between the lines" people. Although I can quote Caddyshack with the best of 'em.
As for soccer, the Media bliz for Beckham seemed really like an exercise in brainwashing. Especially since the vast majority of Americans really couldn't give a shit about Beckham or soccer. They even gave his anorexic Spice girl wife a TV show which only drew 4.9 million viewers despite a barrage of promos..

Return to “Rants and Raves”