Jake Brown (not me) crashes harder than Beyonce

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:39 am

Sven Killer Robot Spacema wrote:It's funny that you gave a serious response to a post I thought was obviously tongue-in-cheek. You have such a sick sense of humor that maybe your serious response was a joke too.

I think you two ought to host your own talk radio show. I love it when Worps responds serious to Sven's crazy.

I hate skaters because they stole all the cute girls in high school. Sour grapes! Hey you, new wave! Come over here!

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:24 pm

Jake wrote:I think you two ought to host your own talk radio show. I love it when Worps responds serious to Sven's crazy.

I hate skaters because they stole all the cute girls in high school. Sour grapes! Hey you, new wave! Come over here!

I was a skater in high school, and I rarely got cute girls.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:27 pm

Sven Killer Robot Spacema wrote:I'm obviously not as knowledgeable about music as you Worpy.
That's not sarcasm--you know a ton of shit.
But as far as I know the big three---Ramones, Sex Pistols, Clash--had nothing to with skateboarding. Other than those three my favorite punk bands are Social Distortion and Bad Religion. Although skaters may have been fans of the band I don't recall those two incorporating skater culture in their images. Again I could be wrong there especially since they're from the west coast. And the skater thing is more of a west coast phenomenon. So I'm sure there are a number of bands I don't know a lot about-(Suicidal Tendencies maybe?) that have a lot of skater culture in the imaging of their bands.

It's funny that you gave a serious response to a post I thought was obviously tongue-in-cheek. You have such a sick sense of humor that maybe your serious response was a joke too.
Could be an East Coast point of view versus a Midwest point of view on golf. I really have never been able to connect with people who golf and all the golfers I've met had no sense of irony. They were always the "color in between the lines" people. Although I can quote Caddyshack with the best of 'em.
As for soccer, the Media bliz for Beckham seemed really like an exercise in brainwashing. Especially since the vast majority of Americans really couldn't give a shit about Beckham or soccer. They even gave his anorexic Spice girl wife a TV show which only drew 4.9 million viewers despite a barrage of promos..

No no. I'm totally with you on the big three and, you're right, most bands didn't incorporate skate culture into their image; it was the other way around. But a skater mag from Cali is going to turn on a music fan in Iowa to a new band quicker than if said Iowa boy runs into the same band on his own. I hope that made sense. I just associated skater culture with that of punk, particularly So-Cal punk, but I wholeheartedly agree that now skate culture is so mainstream that it is probably a commie plot now. Just like the Snuggle bear.
And there are some folks around the Midwest that have an elitist view on golf; don't get me wrong. I've seen it. I hate it. And it contributes to the sports negative images (if that's what you call it). Knowing that you like beer, I can see you having a blast on a good 'ol Iowa farm course. The only thing we'd need to do is go fast enough to avoid pissing off the two farm dudes behind us that are trying to get in a round before going to the elevator co-op meeting.
Ironically, I do see soccer as a sport (in Iowa, at least) that was totally fast-tracked by upper class suburbanites.
Serious reply? Yeah. Occasionally I can do that.
But no worries. I'm still that sick fucker that you love.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:21 pm

Aw man, Sven and Worpy need to get a room at their nearest No-tell Motel; the kissy face here is making me sicker than my wife ever was in the first trimester...

Insta-poll: who's the sicker fuck? It's a dead-heat, but my money would go on Sven; he's got a bit more of that Mojo Nixon, make-it-crude, post-while-I'm-drunk-and-fuck-the-consequences vibe to him. Although Worpy's close... he'll post a straight-faced answer like his love-letter to regular-joe-non-elitist golf while being sober, and that's pretty fuckin' admirable to this Chicago wastoid...

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:30 am

DJMurphy wrote:Insta-poll: who's the sicker fuck?

love-letter [i] ..

Worpswede is the sicker fuck. The reason I got all kissy face is frankly he frightens me. That LOVE LETTER you speak of above is a valentine--- a bullet from a gun. Send you to hell forever fucker.

dam05
GLONO Board Playa

Postby dam05 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:10 am

worpswede wrote:Ironically, I do see soccer as a sport (in Iowa, at least) that was totally fast-tracked by upper class suburbanites.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that. Can you elaborate?

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:51 am

dam05 wrote:I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that. Can you elaborate?

What I am getting from Worpy's comments is how soccer USED to be a sport of the common man (think bowling, not polo) until the upper-class snoots decided it was cool, co-opted it, and ruined its reputation as a common-man sport (sort of the transformation that golf has taken, he purports). With golf, country clubs and their extortionate greens fees have made it really difficult for a blue-collar duffer to play nine holes on their course; don't kid yourself that the built-in exclusion of the "riff raff" isn't a high priority in their minds when they charge those fees. And thus, a common man sport becomes an elitist sport.

...at least that's what I got out of it.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:06 pm

My views on golfers are based more on personality than socioeconomic status. I know guys who golf who are great guys and are far from wealthy. I just don't connect with them on a personal level.

Sven Junior is still too young for soccer. But from what they tell me, soccer is great to wear the kids out because it's simple--lots of running/ kick the ball in the net. They have a three on three kids league here for kids in the 5 year old range. Three kids on a whole field wear them out fast. Tired kid. Happy parents. But soccer is still a sport for small children and non-Americans. I don't have to worry about Sven Junior embarrassing me by playing soccer past the age of 9. He's not built for it. The kid is like a baby version of Magnus Ver Magnussen. He'll be as big as those little foreign Argentinian (or whatever the fuck they are)adult soccer guys by the time he's 10.

dam05
GLONO Board Playa

Postby dam05 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:47 pm

DJMurphy wrote:What I am getting from Worpy's comments is how soccer USED to be a sport of the common man (think bowling, not polo) until the upper-class snoots decided it was cool, co-opted it, and ruined its reputation as a common-man sport.

I guess I don't understand that point. When did that happen? I ask sincerely, no sarcasm intended.

I say this as someone who started playing the game at 7 years old, and didn't stop until I was 28 (four years ago), and that was only due to the inevitable blowout of the knee. Further, it's the one sport that I keep up with on a daily basis, both domestically and internationally.

In all that time, I've never heard the argument that soccer is in any way considered an elitist sport. Don't get me wrong, having gone through the system of youth select sports, I understand that accessing the highest levels of training and coaching, etc., takes money (and oftentimes, lots of it). At the same time, there are just as many less affluent kids (and adults, for that matter) playing the game, every day. I'm speaking strictly domestically here...I don't know enough about other nations to properly comment.

Now, if you're making the point based on the soccer-mom crazies out there, well...she doesn't speak for most of us fans.

Or, maybe I'm in the demographic you speak of, and am partly responsible for this.

I'm not arguing...I'm actually intrigued by this idea.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:48 pm

dam05 wrote:I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that. Can you elaborate?

I'm generalizing. It's a hometown thing. Where I grew up (Iowa town, pop 15,000) Football was the fall sport and the local Catholic high school didn't have the funds to start a football program. The school was attended by rich kids. The parents decided that the school needed to have a fall sports program and they chose soccer. They implemented a soccer camp during the summer and it soon developed an image as an upper middle class sport. As the popularity of soccer increased, the public school and the YMCA introduced their own programs. Because of the way it was rolled out in my hometown, I've always viewed soccer as a sport who's popularity was the result of the wealthy's lobbying efforts.
I understand that my perception doesn't mean it's reality.

Sven wrote:Worpswede is the sicker fuck.

Whatever, you Louie Anderson loving motherfucker.
Anyway, I was drunk when I made those comments about Scott Savol.
And they deleted his message board afterwards, so you can't prove anything.

Return to “Rants and Raves”