Jake Brown (not me) crashes harder than Beyonce

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:42 pm

re: soccer being co-opted by the rich.

here in dallas we have an MLS team and they played for years in the cotton bowl which is located in a pretty poor, highly hispanic part of the city. most of the teams fans were hispanic and they could go games easily and cheaply. the team decided that they didn't want poor brown people for fans so they built a shiny new stadium up north in the nouveau riche suburb of frisco. tickets are now too expensive, there's no public transportation near the new stadium, and a car less expensive than a bmw in the overpriced parking lot gets a dirty look.

dam05
GLONO Board Playa

Postby dam05 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:43 pm

worpswede wrote:I understand that my perception doesn't mean it's reality.

Fair enough. Like I said, the perception was one that I hadn't heard before.

dam05
GLONO Board Playa

Postby dam05 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:01 am

creepy wrote:re: soccer being co-opted by the rich.

here in dallas we have an MLS team and they played for years in the cotton bowl which is located in a pretty poor, highly hispanic part of the city. most of the teams fans were hispanic and they could go games easily and cheaply. the team decided that they didn't want poor brown people for fans so they built a shiny new stadium up north in the nouveau riche suburb of frisco. tickets are now too expensive, there's no public transportation near the new stadium, and a car less expensive than a bmw in the overpriced parking lot gets a dirty look.

We have the Dynamo (MLS club) here in Houston, and one of the issues is where the team will play after it's lease with U. of Houston is up next year. I think you're painting a pretty simplistic picture of why FC Dallas moved away from the Cotton Bowl, not even mentioning the fact that the stadium is an antiquated hole and way too large to have a proper soccer atmosphere.

The main reason for building the new soccer-specific stadiums (as always) revolves around money, and more importantly, cheaper real estate. The clubs still playing in the NFL stadiums receive very little to no revenue outside of ticket sales and merchandise (concessions stay with the landlords, and that's basically a cash cow) by playing there. Plus, they're at the mercy of the mother clubs' schedules. MLS is not yet at a level where it can afford to build these stadiums (cheap relative to the other like-minded pro sports arenas/stadiums) in prime downtown locations, so they're forced to look to the suburbs for land. But, now they control their own revenue streams, which is the key to keeping the league a sustaining entity.

In truth, I don't much care about the economics of it all...but, this allows me to watch the game live and in person, without traveling overseas. Bonus for me!

In the case of Dallas v. Frisco, I don't disagree with you that location has played a major part in the virtual elimination of the Hispanic fan-base. Having been to Pizza Hut Park several times, I concur that getting out there is an adventure in patience. But, I highly doubt that MLS or FC Dallas actively sought to remove the Hispanic attendance. MLS has made many mistakes in it's short lifespan, but it knows full well that it needs the Hispanic support (and dollars) to keep it relevant.

Further, you can still buy a $16 ticket to watch a game, and have a great view of the action. But, I can't speak to your gas bill.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:25 am

Did a thread originally based on video of some guy eating shit really bad actually turn into a discussion of soccer's socioeconomic status in American societies?

Too much thinking for me. Off to Perez Hilton!

Return to “Rants and Raves”