The Most Disappointing Albums Ever Thread

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:13 am

Jake wrote:After so many years of anticipation, how could it possibly not be disappointing?

I see your point and I'm not quite the Beach Boys fan as you are. I've never heard those originals, but I do remember hearing Smiley Smile once and thinking it was awful. Knowing a little bit about Brian's mental health had me thinking that his version of Smile would be a total trainwreck. I thought the end result was wonderfully produced and arranged that sounded like the lost treasure everyone was talking about. I'll have to look for the originals.

Lionindex wrote:2. Spiritualized: Let it Come Down. Bought it, listened a couple times, gave it away.

I love that album. It was one of my favorite releases from that year. The notion that all of those complex arrangements were the product of a Spaceman just amazes me.
And I'm with you on A Thousand Leaves too.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:29 am

worpswede wrote: see your point and I'm not quite the Beach Boys fan as you are. I've never heard those originals, but I do remember hearing Smiley Smile once and thinking it was awful.

Smiley Smile is an awful album. And Wild Honey (the album it's coupled with on the twofer) is only slightly better. But it's worth checking out for the officially released versions of "Heroes And Villains," "Vegetables," "Wind Chimes," "Wonderful," and of course, the greatest song in the world, "Good Vibrations."

Disc 2 of the Good Vibrations box has 30 minutes of Smile stuff that's all pretty fascinating.

Back before Capitol made him take the mp3s down, I downloaded this dude's mix, which is pretty cool, compiled and remixed from various boots and legit releases.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:41 pm

Sven Killer Robot Spacema wrote:"All Shook Down" by The Replacements. I wasn't aware of what was going on in the band or lack thereof.

"The Bottle and Fresh Horses". The Refreshments crappy follow-up to the creamy "Fizzy Fuzzy Big and Buzzy."

i didn't know there was anyone else in the world that listened to the refreshments. much less heard of them. as for my most disappointing albums ever here's the list:

natalie merchant - tilgerlily : it was just too middle of the road for me after the last studio album she did with the maniacs which was brilliant. she left them for tigerlily.

bjork - medulla
r.e.m. - around the sun: not the most disappointing, but after all the pre-hype it didn't really live up to it.
juliana hatfield - bed
patty griffin - 1,000 kisses :she follows up silver bell {somewhat unoffically} and flaming red {officially} with this very lackluster record. it got all this praise for what really was a slow burner of an album. paint drying is more exciting.

edie brickell - picture perfect morning: this is by no means disppointing in the worst kind of way. but yet it never quite reaches the greatness that is ghost of a dog and is lackluster compared to ghost of a dog. i like it a lot mind you and think it's works, but it's not the best showcase of her work and talent at all.

new bohemians - the live montauk sessions: again this isn't disappointing in the worst way, but it fails to really go anywhere it seems. as a follow up to ghost of a dog it fails badly. i like the songs and think they have something there, but it's all too non-descript for me. it doesn't really showcase their strengths. aside from a few songs, and i do mean few as there aren't but 7 or 8 songs total on the record, this one never really gets enough momentum to get off the ground. i like this far less than picture perfect morning

barenaked ladies - everything to everyone
tori amos - scarlet's walk
lisa loeb - the way we really are
ryan adams - jacksonville city nights

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Postby hebrew hammer » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:29 pm

Wu-Tang Clan's The W and Iron Flag. Considering they made the best rap album ever and then with Wu-Tang Forver managed not to dissapoint (I think it's underrated because of the excellence of 36 Chambers), plus the excellence of some members' solo careers, these two, while good, are still dissapointing as a hole. But of course I'll still be buying 8 Diagrams the day it comes out.

Maarten
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Maarten » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:31 pm

LionIndex wrote:1. The aforementioned NYC Ghosts and Flowers. Although in a way, I could kind of see that coming after A Thousand Leaves (even though I really like some songs on ATL. I think of those albums as SY's uber artistic "beat poet" phase; that's also the period where they were putting out the SYR experimental albums. Plus, NYC came out right after they lost all their guitars and stuff, so it was tuff (titty) for them to make a guitar-based record at that point anyway. Still, I own it, and I've only listened to it once.

hated that one at first, but it's grown on me; great atmosphere, love the production on it. they should probably lose their guitars more often. i at least hope they get damaged a bit after rather ripped, which i thought was painfully dull.

a disappointing record that comes to mind right now is bjork's volta, which turned out a bit of a let down, probably also since i loved vespertine and medulla oh so very much. i hope she'll push herself to be a bit more creative again next time.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:37 pm

Maarten wrote:a disappointing record that comes to mind right now is bjork's volta, which turned out a bit of a let down, probably also since i loved vespertine and medulla oh so very much. i hope she'll push herself to be a bit more creative again next time.

I'd have to call every Bjork album disappointing, personally, because every time one comes out everybody tells me how amazing it is, and then I listen to it and it does nothing for me. Every single album. Maybe I'm missing something.

Ad
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Ad » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:02 pm

The Weirdness by the Stooges was more than a bit disappointing.

I was also let down by Pavement's final album, Terror Twilight. It wasn't awful, it just wasn't the highest note to go out on. I don't think I've listened to that cd more than twice.

Going back, I was let down by Public Enemy's The Enemy Strikes Black. That was their first album after all of the sampling lawsuits hit. It shows. If that didn't kill hip hop, it definitely crippled it.
Last edited by Ad on Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:09 pm

Ad wrote:I was also let down by Pavement's final album, Terror Twilight. It wasn't awful, it just wasn't the highest note to go out on. I don't think I've listened to that cd more than twice.

I don't love Terror Twilight, but it's got some great songs. Mostly the singles.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:32 pm

Ad wrote:Going back a way, I was let down by Public Enemy's The Enemy Strikes Black.

But "By the Time I Get to Arizona" is still a badass jam.

Ad
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Ad » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:02 pm

Jake wrote:But "By the Time I Get to Arizona" is still a badass jam.

Agreed.

And Terror Twilight does have some good songs. I was just disappointed. It's the album of there's that I listen to the least.

And now that I'm thinking of it, I've been let down by both post-Sea Change albums by Beck.

Return to “Rants and Raves”